XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nojagnomore
Same problem here - on the base XJ, not the long wheel base. No fix offered by dealer. But also had problem with the sunroof assembly and transport motor. They replaced the whole thing, and "hoped" that would also correct the popping noise. It didn't.

The 2011 XJ is an extremely quirky car. Endless software issues. And audio system issues. And touchscreen issues. The list goes on. I no longer own the car. An annoying (albeit gorgeous) auto wasn't what I had in mind - regardless of the price.
not sure if you had a lemon or something like that. Or very early production car. But on turns out ALL was fixed with basically one service stay. Technically I don't count the first service visit as I wanted to pick up the car right after it arrived at the dealers and I signed that I am aware that a service visit will be needed to do a bunch of updates and fixes. They did those on Monday within 1 day. I had another service visit about 3-4 weeks later re. some minor things plus the roof popping noises which where still around. They fixed all that in one overnight stay. Minor stuff was like a missing light in a door handle and a loose wood panel in door due to broken clip. Stupid little things. All done at around 500 mls. Now at 2,200 miles now and all is fine. Your are correct about the Nav / Entertainment screen. Slow and quirky. Hope they will fix that with some software update in the future. BUT it is working correctly.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nojagnomore
Same problem here - on the base XJ, not the long wheel base. No fix offered by dealer. But also had problem with the sunroof assembly and transport motor. They replaced the whole thing, and "hoped" that would also correct the popping noise. It didn't.

The 2011 XJ is an extremely quirky car. Endless software issues. And audio system issues. And touchscreen issues. The list goes on. I no longer own the car. An annoying (albeit gorgeous) auto wasn't what I had in mind - regardless of the price.
Well, it's too bad that your dealer couldn't make you happy. I don't know which of the 3 Houston dealers you were working with, but the one I got mine from was able to sort through all of the issues to my ultimate satisfaction. I find the audio system and touchscreen to be more than adequate in this car, although I'm sure that there are others out there that do more and possibly better. I did not buy this car as an entertainment system. I bought it for its design and performance first and foremost, which it excels in, and anything else is just icing on the cake.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Well, it's too bad that your dealer couldn't make you happy. I don't know which of the 3 Houston dealers you were working with, but the one I got mine from was able to sort through all of the issues to my ultimate satisfaction. I find the audio system and touchscreen to be more than adequate in this car, although I'm sure that there are others out there that do more and possibly better. I did not buy this car as an entertainment system. I bought it for its design and performance first and foremost, which it excels in, and anything else is just icing on the cake.
I couldn't agree more with HouTexJag on this one. They got mine fixed just fine. And the dealers do have all the info available to do so. Heck, you or anybody else can even download the instructions of how to solve thos roof popping problems from Jaguar's Topix Website. So your dealer has no reason to stab in the dark and can do plenty just following factory instructions. I think Jaguar's biggest problem seems to be some of the underperforming techs at some dealerships. If I'd be Jaguar they better get that under control. Otherwise those underperforming service departments (dealers) will do a LOT of damage to Jaguar and it's reputation.
And I agree; I primarily bought a car and secondary an entertainment system. All works as designed, but I know there are other larger car manufacturer's who may do better. Albeit I say, the ONLY beef with the system I have is it's slugishness when trying to access something quickly, other then that, it is adequate. Heck, mostly I listen to music, thats it and there is no question around that the sound quality is better then any other OEM I ever heard.
However, ongoing trips to the dealer to get things fixed without any major improvements would also under no circumstance acceptable to me. Not with ANY new car.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They told me mid October Mike any news on yours? Is it fixed?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had noise issues since day 1. Been to dealer at least 4 times. In some instances for 4-5 days. I even had a cracked rear windshield (by itself - it just cracked!) and also a jammed roof shade....

The roof on this car is a disaster...

I am trying to return the car to jaguar . I am meeting the regional rep in september.

I now have 12,000 miles on it and 10 months since I bought it...

I have wasted enough time with this beautiful and yes fast piece of junk!

Last edited by Cocteau70; 08-25-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Default Popping in 2011 XJL Sunroof

I have had my XJL almost a year now and it has been back to Scott Jaguar in Charlotte, NC 4 times for this problem. I am ready to file a Lemon Law Case against Jaguar. This morning they brought me a Cadillac to drive while they took my car back to the shop. They usually keep it 3 or 4 days. Last time, they said they removed the sunroof and replaced the retaining clips that hold the sunroof in place. This is exactly what they did last time and a month later, when the weather changed, it started popping again. It is very annoying and will sometimes scare you if you are not accustomed to hearing it when the car flexes. I really love my car and that is why I am being so paitient. However, this is the last time. I have already met with my attorney and we will force Jaguar to take the car back if it isn't fixed this time. My email address is randy@austininc.com or you can call me if you have similar problems 704-69-8801. Maybe a class action would be more appropriate in this case.

This moring when Scott Jaguar's people picked up the vehicle, they told me that they are having siginificant problems with these vehicles. Virtually everyone they sold is coming back for the same repair, multiple times. I would like to collect a list of people who are having the same problem so that when I do have to take action, I can point to others with the same problem.

Thanks

Randy Austin

Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

So far the new kits have fixed the popping noises and ive not had any back

Old 11-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure your dealer has the latest TSB for the roof. I had to tell mine about it. It's been fine since the fix. TSB JTB00236, C2D23230 Kit #. Part#C2D16894. Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Make sure your dealer has the latest TSB for the roof. I had to tell mine about it. It's been fine since the fix. TSB JTB00236, C2D23230 Kit #. Part#C2D16894. Hope this helps.
Yes, this is the latest and greatest fix and it worked for me too.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Default Roof Popping Noise RESOLOTION in my case

Originally Posted by gears
I couldn't agree more with HouTexJag on this one. They got mine fixed just fine. And the dealers do have all the info available to do so. Heck, you or anybody else can even download the instructions of how to solve thos roof popping problems from Jaguar's Topix Website. So your dealer has no reason to stab in the dark and can do plenty just following factory instructions. I think Jaguar's biggest problem seems to be some of the underperforming techs at some dealerships. If I'd be Jaguar they better get that under control. Otherwise those underperforming service departments (dealers) will do a LOT of damage to Jaguar and it's reputation.
And I agree; I primarily bought a car and secondary an entertainment system. All works as designed, but I know there are other larger car manufacturer's who may do better. Albeit I say, the ONLY beef with the system I have is it's slugishness when trying to access something quickly, other then that, it is adequate. Heck, mostly I listen to music, thats it and there is no question around that the sound quality is better then any other OEM I ever heard.
However, ongoing trips to the dealer to get things fixed without any major improvements would also under no circumstance acceptable to me. Not with ANY new car.
Hello,
First of all, I was at exactly the junction you are describing. I had been back 3-4 times. I was fed up. All I wanted is the problem fixed. I was not interested in the aggrevation of a buy back under lemon law or anything similar time consuming as otherwise I liked the car. However, the roof noise became completley impossible for me to bare.

Here is what I did:
I wrote a letter to Jaguar NA describing the problem, the number of visits (repairs attemtps) and set them a deadline of 10 working days. Certified mail of course.
Jaguar NA contacted me and my dealer almost immediately. I also was no longer willing to spend any time above to drive my car there and accept a loaner. The inconvienence was no longer acceptable.

It was arranged that I visit the dealer. The delaer was instructed TO DO WHATEVER IS NEEDED to the car. A good friend of mine who bought the same car at around the same time at the same dealer ship came along. Happens to be that he is an attorney but I don't think that had any impact at all. So we all went on a test drive to identify the noises with 2 technicians from the dealership.

Next they installed the new kit among a few other little things. And that within ONE day. They called me to tell no more noise. Frankly I didn't believe it. So I went their and took it for a ride with the tech as suggested by the dealer staff. No matter what I tried and which curb or even ramp incline I twisted onto. No more noise!

I took my car home. Still very sceptical that this would last. Well, it has been some weeks now and still the problem is gone. Being an engineer myself and having done some research about the latest fix there definately is a good chance this may last. In addition Jaguar didn't just take their time to bring that latest fix out. They really tested and tweaked to make sure this time it works. They are well aware of the issue and the causes.

Here is what I found:
a) I was convinced the noise is in the top body frame and can't be fixed. I was wrong. It can be fixed rather easily
b) My dealer had excellent techs. Executed the job perfectly and they didn't leave a single smuch or scratch in or on the car.
c) My dealer however ALWAYS provided a new XF as a loaner. ALWAYS and without being asked. When I say new means less then 2000 miles. However, your dealer is picking up the car while I had to spend time dropping it off. Legally they are not bound to do that nor are they legally bound to provide a loaner. (Just the law in my state). Of course they know the outcry they can expect if they wouldn't do that.
d) My dealer never argued with me. They always coorperated even though I clearly started to voice my frustration with the matter firmly.
e) Jaguar and the dealer acknowledged the problem. They both stated they are, too watching this (and other) forum and that forums in these days are an important source of info for them as well. The dealer stated they learn often faster and more through the forum then through official Jaguar communication.
f) Jaguar followed up with a phone call and a letter. The letter included a $ 250.00 coupon to be spent at a Jaguar dealer for whatever i.e. accessories or boutique merchandise. Nice touch at least to make a customer feel valued.

I am glad I was able to avoid the lemon law buy back process as I like the car otherwise and don't want another car. But I would have gone through with it if the noise would have persisted.

There are cars which don't have the noise. (Like my friend's). But I believe there is a good chance these cars may develeop the noise as well.

The noise CAN be fixed. It appears the fix may last.

The noise is NOT an issue of subjective impression of sensitive owners. It is VERY REAL and VERY UNACCEPTABLE. It is a REAL DEFECT and Jaguar is aware of that. They are not trying to say it is not real nor do I think they ever have. They are painfully aware of the issue.

As I see, the stories play out differently. I believe the dealer can make ALL the difference. What I would have liked if the DEALER would have initiated contact with Jaguar NA with me. At the same time they are not happy themselves. Jaguar just lower their compensation rate for warranty repairs. So I am careful blaming the dealer and I feel Jaguar needs to do more to assist dealers satisfying their customers especially in a situation like this.

For a class action to get started you only need at least 3 plaintiffs to start with and then publish the court action (if approved and by judges order) to go to the next step. But mostly the attorney's are going to be the one getting the real payout. Not us.

Jaguar actually will take the car back once you invoke lemon law and attorney. They have done so in other cases. But there are downsides. Don't expect to get your purchase price back and walk away. They have the right to exchange the car for another one AND deduct value for usage of your car up to this point. I am sure you have been through this with your attorney.

Await the last repair attempt's outcome. Send letter to Jaguar NA so they make sure the dealer is on the same page. Then decide.

If it is still not fixed I would also suggest you go legal or even class action as a last resort. I would have done so if my car would still have the noise AND I will do so if the noise comes back.

Good Luck with whatever your outcome. I know the frustration involved in this. **** happens. I judge the way it is dealt with. Jaguar could have done better communicating and sending tokens of apology as that could have produced a lot more good will and confidence at a lower cost then law suits and bad PR. I strongly suggest to contact Jaguar NA. I can provide you with my contact person there to have a starting point. Let me know if you need the info and I will email it to you.

Last edited by gears; 11-15-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
So far the new kits have fixed the popping noises and ive not had any back
Ditto. Thanks for the info. My dealer tech stated the same. My car is fixed. Why is it I knew about the fix before my dealer? In the age and use of systems like TopiX should info sharing be easy and quick?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cocteau70
I have had noise issues since day 1. Been to dealer at least 4 times. In some instances for 4-5 days. I even had a cracked rear windshield (by itself - it just cracked!) and also a jammed roof shade....

The roof on this car is a disaster...

I am trying to return the car to jaguar . I am meeting the regional rep in september.

I now have 12,000 miles on it and 10 months since I bought it...

I have wasted enough time with this beautiful and yes fast piece of junk!
What was the end from your meeting?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by gears
ditto. Thanks for the info. My dealer tech stated the same. My car is fixed. Why is it i knew about the fix before my dealer? In the age and use of systems like topix should info sharing be easy and quick?
depends on who you spoke to. Even if i knew i would not have stated it too fast. Im from the show me state and i dont like to get my hopes up to soon. Besides we were instructed to not get to many cars in as there where only so many kits avail at any given time. Its a little time consuming until youve done a few then its easier since you dont have to sit there reading instructions the whole time. Also many of us were waiting on the $200 torque screw drivers since there is a very specific torque they have to be put at. Not to little or much. So far so good. But time will really tell in the long run. I know this has been priority 1 with jaguar on the xj and they have a whole group that was working on the fix. I think jaguar is confident in this repair long term though too since all the new cars we're getting are already done. This was not the case with previous repairs recommended.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Brutal, Thanks for your input always! It's great having a tech fill us in on what's going on. Do you know whether the new 2012 XJ's have the same roof construction as the 2011's??? If they do I'll be more convinced that this latest fix which I had done will work for good.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Default Popping noise in sunroof 2011 XJL

I got may car back from the dealer yesterday after the forth time of having it in for the popping noise in the roof. I received a call from the dealer yesterday telling me that they nailed the problem and I shouldn't have any more problems. I have also talked to Jaguar and told them that I will envoke the Lemon Law in North Carolina if it isn't fixed this time. It's incredible that an $80,000 automobile should have these kinds of problem. Every state has a lemon law and this is the avenue to pursue if the dealer can't fix the problem in 3 times at the dealer.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Brutal, Thanks for your input always! It's great having a tech fill us in on what's going on. Do you know whether the new 2012 XJ's have the same roof construction as the 2011's??? If they do I'll be more convinced that this latest fix which I had done will work for good.
ITS THE SAME, BUT THE KITS WE'RE PUTTING IN TO FIX THE 2011'S AND EARLY 2012 IS ALREADY COMING FROM THE FACTORY DONE.
AND RANDY, IM SORRY BUT SINCE WHEN DOES THE AMOUNT OF MONEY SOMETHING COST=PERFECTION? IT JUST MEENS YOU GET MORE "STUFF" ON WHATEVER YOURE BUYING.
TRY BUYING A BENTLY. FERRARI, PORSCHE GT OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT COSTS WAY MORE THAN A NEW XJ. EVERYTHING BUILT BUY A HUMAN HAS ITS ISSUES. IF EVERYTHING WAS BUILT TO PERFECTION WITH THE MORE MONEY SPENT THEN WHY EVEN HAVE A WARRANTY?

The following users liked this post:
Jffcurt (11-16-2011)