XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Rear Badge Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rear Badge Removal

Had I ordered my XJ L I would almost certainly not have had the XJ and L badges on it. But my car has them. After a month or so of ownership, I'm thinking of taking them off. They just seem a little slapped on to me.

Advice on car badge removal in general seems to focus on the application of heat to the area with the badge, either boiling water or a hairdryer. Has anyone else done this? Any advice on how to do it? Are there holes in the bootlid behind the badges?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Bad news. There is a hole behind the Jag symbol. I know because my wide shut the garage door on my rear trunk lid and broke it off. Not sure about the letters tho. Ben wanting to remove mine, so please let me know what you come up with. I have a black car with blacked out lights and think it'd look pretty mean debadged.

The following users liked this post:
GilesGuthrie (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Bad news. There is a hole behind the Jag symbol. I know because my wide shut the garage door on my rear trunk lid and broke it off. Not sure about the letters tho. Ben wanting to remove mine, so please let me know what you come up with. I have a black car with blacked out lights and think it'd look pretty mean debadged.
Hope that wasn't a Freudian slip!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Thanks. I want to keep the Jag symbol, it's just the letters I want to take off.

You could always vinyl your badges.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Giles,
this has been asked many times before and you will get differrent versions of what the best way is to do this.

Mostly, these badges today are ( like some of the outside moldings ) only held on with 3M double sided tape.

I'm not necessarily advocating this, but I've had number plates held in place with the same stuff for 3 or more years, then changed them by simply gently prising it off slowly from one corner a little at a time.

I've never in the last 10 years and over maybe a dozen different cars ever had any issues with this method.

Being ultra cautious Yes I say for sure use heat ( maybe a hairdryer ) to help soften the adhesive.
Many people here have also used fishing wire to get behind and simply cut through the 3M tape.

You really shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

As for holes behind? I don't know for sure but I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Once off a little attention with some autoglym tar and glue remover or similar should leave it nice n fresh.
You may want to polish / protect the area after a good wash with warm soapy water.

At that point you should have a nice clean debadged car.

GilesGuthrie (09-05-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 AM

So, I'm still mulling this over, and I decided to think about it practically. So, with the aid of a little light Photoshop...

Badge On?

Or Badge Off?

I'm thinking "badge off"

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Badge removal

Xjl badge. The leaper and under the leaper the lettering JAGUAR and on the right side of the trunk they have 3.0 or 5.0 depending on the engine. It's looks overly cluttered and terrible.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry. I meant to say this is the badges and lettering for 2013 models

Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Venture
Xjl badge. The leaper and under the leaper the lettering JAGUAR and on the right side of the trunk they have 3.0 or 5.0 depending on the engine. It's looks overly cluttered and terrible.
That would definitely have to come off if it were mine.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by GilesGuthrie
So, I'm still mulling this over, and I decided to think about it practically. So, with the aid of a little light Photoshop...

Badge On?

Or Badge Off?

I'm thinking "badge off"

Usually i am against it, but i have to say, it looks really nice without the badges. Makes the leaper more of a focal point, which i like. As if you were very proud Jaguar owner.

You can always slap them back on.

Plus, Bentlys don't have them. Good enough for bently, good enough for Jaguar.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

It looks fine with our without the badge. No real difference for me. However, when available, I plan on installing the 2013 badging on my 2012 as I do want people to know that it is a Jaguar. There are no other clearly visible badgings on the car. Jaguars being relatively rare cars on the roads and many people will not relate to the leaper, as I have found out by people asking me what kind of car it was, after looking right at the leaper. For all they knew, it could have been a Hyundai.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 09-17-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hair dryer and dental floss worked for me. Just don't heat the paint too much and mint floss tastes the best.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
It looks fine with our without the badge. No real difference for me. However, when available, I plan on installing the 2013 badging on my 2012 as I do want people to know that it is a Jaguar. There are no other clearly visible badgings on the car. Jaguars being relatively rare cars on the roads and many people will not relate to the leaper, as I have found out by people asking me what kind of car it was, after looking right at the leaper. For all they knew, it could have been a Hyundai.

Albert
I intend to add the 2013 badges, when available, also. However, I'm not adding the 'jaguar' script, just the 5.0 on the right hand side. I think this will balance the XJL badge nicely. In my mind, it is too much with the 'jaguar' script, as well.

As far as de-badging goes, I know that it is popular in the UK on all cars, but not here in the USA. Personally, I would not de-badge the car as, to my mind, without the badges, the trunk lid looks very bland.

Best regards,

Roger

Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

but without them, few people would know it's a Jag.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XJ looks great with out the badge..... The leaper is all you need....

Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I vote off, but I have debadged all my cars, but someone on this forum may call your car a Chevy or Juglar. TC

Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Juglar?

Something I whipped up just now. My pick would be the middle row, but that's where it starts to get tough.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Badge Removal-badging.jpg  

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 04-02-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Apparently the forum stopped supporting links on pictures...
The following 2 users liked this post by Aonsaithya:
H20boy (05-27-2015), xdave (01-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I intend to add the 2013 badges, when available, also. However, I'm not adding the 'jaguar' script, just the 5.0 on the right hand side. I think this will balance the XJL badge nicely. In my mind, it is too much with the 'jaguar' script, as well.

Best regards,

Roger
Roger - FYI

Last week when I was at the dealer the parts guy found the listings for both the JAGUAR and the 5.0 badges. They were listed for $60 each. He took my order but, called me later that day saying that they were not yet available.

Albert

Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2013 XJL Badges

Originally Posted by axr6
Roger - FYI

Last week when I was at the dealer the parts guy found the listings for both the JAGUAR and the 5.0 badges. They were listed for $60 each. He took my order but, called me later that day saying that they were not yet available.

Albert
Thanks Albert:

Just got the new badges, courtesy of the dealer. Part of the original deal.

After seeing the 2013's in the dealer showroom, I think I will add the JAGUAR script, as well as the 5.0. In my opinion, looks really nice with all the new badging.

Regards,

Roger

axr6 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rogerdodger
Thanks Albert:

Just got the new badges, courtesy of the dealer. Part of the original deal.

After seeing the 2013's in the dealer showroom, I think I will add the JAGUAR script, as well as the 5.0. In my opinion, looks really nice with all the new badging.

Regards,

Roger
Thanks for the note Roger. I called my dealer immediately and guess what? My badges, that they said were not yet available, are sitting in the parts department, waiting for me. Will pick them up next week.

I assume that the JAGUAR and the 5.0 badges are not given out as individual letters or numbers but, put on a adhesive backing for easy line-up and installation?

Thanks,

Albert

Quick Reply: Rear Badge Removal