XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Rear Badge Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
Wow, I would hate that; in fact, I wouldn't purchase a car that had that on it. The closest thing to that I've seen is dealers using the license tag frame to advertise their dealership. But at least that is easily rectified.
Last new car I bought had one of those obnoxious dealer stickers on it. Refused to take delivery until they had removed it and rectified the paint underneath. Salesdroid asked why, and I said "you aren't paying me to advertise for you; you're only selling me a car". They sent it to the body shop and did as I asked.

Most dealers I know don't use the stickers on the paint anymore; they give you a license plate frame with their name on it. Easily removed.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Last new car I bought had one of those obnoxious dealer stickers on it. Refused to take delivery until they had removed it and rectified the paint underneath. Salesdroid asked why, and I said "you aren't paying me to advertise for you; you're only selling me a car". They sent it to the body shop and did as I asked.

Most dealers I know don't use the stickers on the paint anymore; they give you a license plate frame with their name on it. Easily removed.
I'm w/ you Bryan. They're not paying me to advertise when I travel all over the country so it's got to go. I also don't even use the license plate holder many dealers provide.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default the obvious answer everyone is missing

debate the rear, leave leaper get a license plate frame that says "JAGUAR" if you want people to know its a Jag. Win/win

Old 01-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default the obvious answer everyone is missing

debadge the rear, leave leaper and get a license plate frame that says "JAGUAR" if you want people to know its a Jag. Win/win

Old 05-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

I appreciate the members who did a little photoshopping to show us all of the badging/de-badging ideas. After a couple nights consideration, I'm going with the leaper and JAGUAR lettering only also. I couldn't find the letters in the parts catalogue, so I ordered some from China via ebay. Hope they look good in person.

3D Chrome Jaguar Letter Emblem Rear Badge Tail Logo Sticker Jaguar XJ XJL XF XJR | eBay

Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread...I've also been considering making a change on my 2013. However, the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards just leaving it alone. It's busier than I prefer but I don't find the alternatives a major step forward either. I also find that even though the current XJL has been on the road a few years now, there are still a lot of people that have no idea what it is without a little help from the badges. For those who are familiar with it, other owners for example, when they see the 5.0 it's always a good conversation starter. So in that sense the badges serve a purpose for the newly indoctrinated as well as some of the old hands.

retriever-007 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

I took all my badging off to buff the badly neglected paint, and now I've re-applied the leaper and added the letters. Now, I can't decide if I should put the XJ back on the left

Opinions? (try to ignore the reflection)

Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 413 Posts

Looks pretty classy to me just the way it is. Mine has the XJ, Leaper, Jaguar script, and the 5.0 engine displacement on a Lunar Gray and I've left it stock, but I do like what you've done.

retriever-007 (06-13-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

When all is said and done, I'm for leaving the "Leaper", plus "Jaguar" spelled out for the majority of ignorant Americans. I'm also for leaving "XJL" to notify others I have the long wheelbase limousine model with "fold down" rear seat tables and increased legroom. Likewise leave the "5.0" on to acknowledge the fact I have a glorious V-8; not two or four cylinder less. To each his own.

retriever-007 (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
When all is said and done, I'm for leaving the "Leaper", plus "Jaguar" spelled out for the majority of ignorant Americans. I'm also for leaving "XJL" to notify others I have the long wheelbase limousine model with "fold down" rear seat tables and increased legroom. Likewise leave the "5.0" on to acknowledge the fact I have a glorious V-8; not two or four cylinder less. To each his own.
I agree 100% with your opinion. I think I am going to add the lettering under the Leaper. When driving and looking in my rear view mirror often I notice people getting too close to the rear of the car and they are looking to figure out what kind of automobile it is. I prefer badging on this automobile. Since there are not a lot of these automobiles on the road the badging is important for identifying and letting others know what you are driving.
Another question for consideration--how many people would put the Leaper on the hood of this automobile???

Old 06-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

retriever-007

I too, as I'm sure many have, have considered adding the Leaper hood ornament on my XJ, because it has been such an integral and identifiable feature of Jaguars for so long.

Many of us have probably all seen where Jaguar dealers have added this hood or bonnet mascot on the cars in their salesrooms or on their sales lots to increase their sale-ability.

So far, I have resisted the urge.

Sometimes I think the "Leaper" wouldn't be appropriate on the XJ (X351) due to its "advanced" styling.

At other times, I think "why not"? Retro styling is all the rage.

Safety considerations? Lets just say that anyone using a cell phone while driving, or crossing the street, is 70% more likely to be involved in an accident, so mounting one of these idiots on my hood, is no more significant than inadvertently stepping on an ant.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I considered the leaper for the hood until I actually saw one. To me it just looks out of place on the X351; it looks forced rather than elegant.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by retriever-007
I agree 100% with your opinion. I think I am going to add the lettering under the Leaper. When driving and looking in my rear view mirror often I notice people getting too close to the rear of the car and they are looking to figure out what kind of automobile it is. I prefer badging on this automobile. Since there are not a lot of these automobiles on the road the badging is important for identifying and letting others know what you are driving.
Another question for consideration--how many people would put the Leaper on the hood of this automobile???

Yep, I'm with the guys above as well. I have seen the leaper on the hood of the X351 and don't think that it looks that good on the newer models. Again, my personal opinion.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:48 PM

To those who responded to my question about placing the Leaper on the hood, thanks for providing your insights.
Although I'm still undecided, I'm leaning though now to not putting it on the hood. The new body style seems more pleasing without the Leaper on the hood.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xjr

So this thread has been a massive help.
I have an XJLR and am not a fan of the excessive badges.
I think I'll remove the XJL first, see how it works, then the jaguar script. Definately leaving the leaper and the R.

I guess I'll leave the car in the Florida sun for a bit to heat up the 3m. That worked on my wifes car.

I'll take some before and after shots.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it looks like I am swimming against the stream - at least in this thread... But I am fine with that and think it is just a question of taste - not of age, as assumed above

I have bought a pre-owned XJ that came without the "XJ" badge. Now I want to add that badge at the right position.

Can someone please provide the correct "coordinates" for that badge, i.e. the distance from the left and lower edge of the trunk?

Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Reviving a zombie thread....

I won't buy debadged cars. Recently had a dealer in California trying to sell a debadged XJ as a CPO. I informed him that the vehicle was incomplete. Shame, it had an interior very close to to my wants.

Ha! I think I just saw the vehicle at Carmax.

Last edited by agentorange; 09-11-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Debadged is sooo yesterday. Rebadge it and smile!

This sucker didn't get the BMW he paid for. It's a Honda Accord!

Old 04-04-2020, 02:23 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SrJaguar
I have a new XJ...for me, all badging stays except 3.0 and AWD. They either come off the right side or... (drum roll please) get replaced with the new upcoming Jaguar OE badge '3.0 Supercharged'. Only available in Europe right now.
Did you ever pick one up? What was the part number on the 3.0l with Supercharged letters? I’m thinking of stealing the letters and placing it below the 5.0l on the an S/C 5.0.