XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

rear-view-camera location is BAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default rear-view-camera location is BAD

With my previous 3 XFs, as on most cars, it was easy to see the end of the rear bumper when parallel parking into tight spaces.

On the 2016 XJ, the camera is on the bumper tip itself, so I can't see the bumper, or figure out how close the car is to the object behind the car.
Anybody figured this out?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Doesn't the proximity sensor beep faster until it becomes a steady warning and the display get larger and turn solid red immediately before you hear a crunching sound and broken glass?

Old 06-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

yidal8, I can park my car within an inch of my truck on a routine basis. I have just figured out where to look on my screen to see how close I am. Part of it would be playing with the car some and back up to say a garage door. Slowly back up a little and then get out and see how far you really are from the door and compare that to what the screen looks like. After a little bit, you will figure out how to judge distance really well with the camera view.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
yidal8, I can park my car within an inch of my truck on a routine basis. I have just figured out where to look on my screen to see how close I am. Part of it would be playing with the car some and back up to say a garage door. Slowly back up a little and then get out and see how far you really are from the door and compare that to what the screen looks like. After a little bit, you will figure out how to judge distance really well with the camera view.
+1

Old 06-04-2017, 04:53 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
I did exactly the same to learn the view of the camera and judge the distance

Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the 2016 XJ, I press on the camera view it self. That gets you the 180 degree cameras, you adjust the distance by the 1/3 periphery views. It is accurate to the millimeter.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Aminov Mars
In the 2016 XJ, I press on the camera view it self. That gets you the 180 degree cameras, you adjust the distance by the 1/3 periphery views. It is accurate to the millimeter.
Please explain, not sure I understand your technique.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
Please explain, not sure I understand your technique.
For example, if you are reversing, you can press the stretch/full screen icon (180 degrees view), try to use it. You will find that it is very accurate.