XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Rim size for snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rim size for snow tires

Hi all,

I want to put some snow tires on my 2018 XJL Supercharged jag. I currently have 20" rims with a staggered step up on it, but they are difficult to find snow tires. My tire dealer believes we can put 19" rims on it and also only 19" x 9 and not do the staggered set up, with the belief that narrower tires are better, since they cut through the snow.

I am having a hard time finding 4 - 19" x 9 rims. Any thoughts?

Also, will rims from an XF fit on my XJL Supercharged. I believe they are 19" x 8.5.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Erik

Old 10-10-2022, 04:15 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble and expense of fitting winter tires and wheels on an X351. With only 4" of ground clearance, what's the point?
Probably sold by now, but there's this posting in Marketplace for 19" wheels with winter tires and stems: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/250444

Old 10-10-2022, 06:26 PM

Thanks. I'll check with the seller. I hear you on ground clearance. I got the car to make trips from NJ to Cape Cod once a month. It has the premium rear seat package with tray tables and wifi, so my wife can work while I drive to see our son, so it fit our needs in that manner and the driving comfort for me. The other choice was a mini van and with 3 other Jags my wife was not getting a mini van. Do you think really good all seasons tires would be a better choice and just don't drive when it is snowing? It will be mostly highway driving, so either there is snow on the road or there isn't.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:53 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

That would be my vote Baltimore winters can be anything from 0.5" total for the season to 35" in one weekend. Mostly, we get sleet and freezing rain recently, and all-season tires work well in those situations. If there's snow on the ground, we generally cancel any travel plans, even with her AWD car. Not because I can't drive in it, but because others cannot! Plus the traffic delays caused by anything more than flurries isn't worth the hassle.
PS: Love my 22 YO Odyssey! Best beater I've ever owned. Going to Little Italy for dinner with friends this week. Park in the street, probably lock it, definitely won't worry about it.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:16 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I also live in Maryland and drive a rear wheel drive XJ. I have no trouble driving in the winter with my all weather Michelin tires. I think Baltobernie hits the nail on the head and I have the same philosophy about winter driving in the snow.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:52 AM

Thanks guys. Upon research it seems like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus are the best "snow" related ultra high performance all-season tires, according to several reviews. It sounds like these will be the best, especially since you can never know these days how much it will snow in the winter, which most of the time the roads are clear. I do have a F Pace if the weather is really bad and I need a awd. I have Pirelli's on the xjl now, but they seem to rate the lowest amongst the all-season for snow performance. Besides, trying to find four good condition rims to put snows on, at a reasonable price, is becoming very hard to do.

Old 10-16-2022, 04:27 AM
Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Hello

I am using my XJ as all year along and i live in Finland, where some months we have real icy/snowy winter with low temperatures. For winter i prefer not to skid or get stuck, so i choose 18" rims in all corners and went to non-staggered setup. Rims have ET45 and they are 9" wide. (have to make sure that the model you purchase do leave enough space for calibers) For tyres i have used now spiked Nokians (Hakkapeliitta 10) and before spiked Michelins (X-ICE 4), both in size of 245/45/18. (north hemisphere models) The rear wheels sit somewhat inside of ark, but because everybody uses narrower wheels in winter here, it dosent point out. Been working well for me.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:23 AM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I live in Wisconsin by Lake Michigan and often get 12" of snow. I run Pirelli SottoZeros and they're noisy but have good grip, not much life. I'll be replacing them next year with the Vredestein Wintrac Pros.

I have run Contis before but the price premium is negligible. Slop will be slop, and I don't drive like a maniac in the snow. Cost and longevity are what I optimize for, second to safety, which is a pretty easy bar to hit with all options.

Old 10-29-2022, 06:46 AM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the same question on my mind, what to do with winter tyres. Got 20 rims with new summer tyres. So All Season is not a clever option at this point. If my summer tyres would be on their last season, i would consider about going all season.
But now i am thinking on getting 19" rims with new winter tyres. So that summer and winter would wear more or less equaly.
I just made a calculation, that getting 20" winter tyres and changing on the rims i got twice a year (summer to winter and winter to summer) for 5-6 seasons would cost the same, as if i buy 19" rims with winter tyres, as seperate set. As changing only wheels is at least twice cheaper, than going for tyre changin. And when all tyres wear off more or less, i always can go for one set with all season tyres. And sell one rim set lets say for half a price i got it.

The other issue i got - is the tyre pressure sensors. Do you have it on winter set. Because getting them will cost extra. Or you use it without sensor and dont mind error on media screen?

Old 10-29-2022, 07:15 AM

Hi Norbertas,

Note that with smaller rim size / higher tyre aspect ratio you will get better traction on snow. (snow does not give you even surface, so you want more flex from your tyre)
I did purchase a set of sensors on my winter tyres. Overall they are not so expensive, and last long time.

The following users liked this post:
Norbertas (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 07:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right, smaller rims, need higher tyres.
Front 245/45 R19 vs 245/40 R20
Rear 275/40 R19 vs 275/35 R20

And they handle much softer on snow / ice bumps on the road. That adds comfort, and a little more protection for suspention.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:09 AM

I use 245/50-18 on all corners for winter. (not 245/45-18 what i wrote few posts above)
Note: Not all 18" rims have enough room for brake calibers.