XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Soft close doors on a XJL

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same for me - I have a 2016 XJR-sport. Drivers door did not soft close. Read these posts, reconnected and hey-presto - now works! Thanks

Does make you worry when so many dealers clearly miss a PDI instruction

Old 03-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Veitia
All 4 doors have soft close doors. The driver's door comes disconnected from factory. To connect, simply open the trunk and open the fuse panel on the right hand side. Down in the bottom of that fuse panel you should see the connectors. Plug them together and you're ready to roll. This was on my brand new 2016 XJ.
Thank you Kevin, I had the same issue with my new 2016 XJL, resolved it based on you tip, very timely and helpful. Saved me a trip to the dealer.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by LoireBlue
.... I had the same issue with my new 2016 XJL ....
Welcome to the forum LoireBlue,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-15-2019, 03:18 AM
Default Thank you! FINALLY!

Originally Posted by Kevin Veitia;[url=tel:1479532
1479532[/url]]All 4 doors have soft close doors. The driver's door comes disconnected from factory. To connect, simply open the trunk and open the fuse panel on the right hand side. Down in the bottom of that fuse panel you should see the connectors. Plug them together and you're ready to roll. This was on my brand new 2016 XJ.
j

2014 XJ - L Supercharged 5.0 V8
Dallas, TX, USA

Just as you said...a blue wired gray connector was disconnected at the bottom of that rear right fuse panel. I recently purchased this car, and I found a piece of your thread online but had not found the identification of the location. I was thinking in the door somewhere. Everyone said that it sounded crazy...especially since the car is now 5 years old. But HA HA, I get a chance to say I Told You So. ( I am hardly ever in this position when it comes to cars!)

THANK YOU! [now to figure out the programming of a new remote I got...car came with 1]

Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by DnBnDTX
... now to figure out the programming of a new remote I got...car came with 1.
See my Post #2 and the links therein in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lp-fob-192386/

Old 04-17-2019, 01:32 AM
Default Key Fob

Originally Posted by Stuart S
See my Post #2 and the links therein in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lp-fob-192386/
Thank you Stuart S! Pointing me in the right direction. The one quote for programming I got at 250.00 may be a good price after all!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

I did not see this answered yet but yes soft close doors can be added to almost any vehicle now.

Soft Close

Old 04-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Default Buyer beware!

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I did not see this answered yet but yes soft close doors can be added to almost any vehicle now.

Soft Close
This device is available on Amazon, but there is only 1 left - and for good reason. Read the user reviews.
Amazon Amazon

There are no authorized dealers or installers in North, Central, or South America. It appears that it's a Russian company headquartered in Moscow that opened a US location in Southern California in 2014, but is no longer there and let its business license lapse. They have locations in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
https://www.searchautoparts.com/afte...door-us-market

Slamstop Dealer Finder

Buyer Beware! This is another Russian hoax!

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-21-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Fixed the Amazon link
Old 04-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Yes that looks like a scam all right! I was surprised it could be added later too.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default They’re lying to you!!!

All four doors soft close. ESPECIALLY the driver door!!!

Old 05-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Personally I don't care for soft-close doors but push-button close door from inside a' la Rolls Royce would be nice, especially for big doors.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

I had soft-close doors on my 2007 Lexus LS460 and I'm glad that my 2013 XJ doesn't have them. What's the point of having soft-close doors if my passengers always slam the door, no matter how many times I tell them? We're creatures of habit, and if your car doesn't have soft-close doors you're conditioned to slam every car door. Fortunately, it doesn't take much effort to close my XJ's doors.

Soft-close doors are a solution in search of a problem. The benefit is not worth the cost and they're just another unnecessary gimmick to generate more profits. Jaguar should have put that money into a better water pump.

The following users liked this post:
sgtm7 (07-15-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Personally I don't care for soft-close doors but push-button close door from inside a' la Rolls Royce would be nice, especially for big doors.
If I owned a Rolls Royce I wouldn't need either soft-close or push-button doors. That's my chauffeur's job, even though the Rolls has both features (as you would expect at that price). As well as the Grey Poupon.

Here's how to be a proper chauffeur: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...ntom-chauffeur

Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

can't believe that worked! simple as connecting a 2 purple wires with connectors at the bottom of the fuse panel in the right side of the trunk. it is mind-boggling how techs do not think to look/check for that each time they take your car! "oh, btw, we noticed your driver's door soft close was not functioning and fixed it for you" Now that would be what a quality service would be. At least you'd think at a minimum Jag would be putting out a bulletin to all their shops to ensure it's addressed. thanks for brightening my day by sharing the fix.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 AM

I know...it is crazy! I thought for sure I would open the fuse panel and the rear and mine would be connected! It's the small victories really! HA

Congrats! I am glad it worked for you and I am glad you found this forum. Wealth of knowledge on here!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:06 AM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

My 2014 swb XJ Supercharged v-8 has functioning soft close. So, it does not appear to be limited to the XJL.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Default Rear passenger door

I've recently had a similar issue with the rear passenger door. It closes, for a lack of a better term, half way. The door closes but does not get sucked in. I checked the fuse which is in the rear arm rest and it was fine. Anyone have any other suggestions? My mechanic wants me to change the whole syetem and I can't seem to find those online either. Does anyone know what they are called?
​​​​

Old 11-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Yes you are correct. All 2014 and up XJ's got soft close doors.
My SWB 2014 XJR has them.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XJsss
I asked my tech about the driver door soft close and he said that as part of PDI they have a connector that is in the right rear fuse panel in the trunk that needs to be connected to enable the driver door soft close. That is because in transit they don't want any chance of a battery drain and damage prior to a dealer completing the PDI.
Of course this applies to 2014 and later XJs and it makes one wonder if your dealers techs have been properly trained.
Excellent!!!!!! Thanks for this information. I recently purchase a 2019 XJL Collection Edition and had the same issue. All doors would soft close except for the Drivers door. Took it into the dealer and they were able to address after I gave your feedback.

The following users liked this post:
olivierxj351 (10-27-2023)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not impressed with them

Just my two cents, they’re cool, but no one EVER closes the door softly enough for them to actually work as designed.
As mentioned before, a solution looking for a problem. That said, they create their own problems, another electrical doodad to fail. The driver door will always be the first to go as it gets used probably 4 times as much as any other door on the vehicle. Ours failed and guess what, we could no longer even CLOSE the door at all, it would not latch, so it was drive 20 miles to the dealer while holding the door closed on the freeway, or have it towed, great. What if it had failed while out in town, you’d literally just be stuck with the vehicle waiting on a tow as you can’t very well safely just leave your vehicle with the door unlocked.

Quick Reply: Soft close doors on a XJL