XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sticky-slimy buttons

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky-slimy buttons

Hello guys!

I'm a new owner of a 12-year old X351. The car itself is fine and the V8 engine simply amazing. However, there is one problem with my car: buttons.
The ones on the doors (for opening and closing windows), on the multimedia unit, on the central console (around gear selector) and on the steering wheel. Also, black frame around central display.
They are ale made from some strange kind of plastic, that looks dirty, feels very sticky, slimy and rubber-like. They there definitely not adding to the otherwise splendid look of the interior.

So my question is: how do you clean your buttons? Is there some magical ingredient that would take dirt away while not destroying markings?

Old 03-23-2022, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 413 Posts

There are many posts on this problem so do a search. The consensus was to use the Neutrogena cosmetic wipes and toothpicks to clean between the switches. I had this issue but it was addressed under warranty and they replaced all the switch gear. Do a search on "sticky buttons"

Old 03-23-2022, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! I did look around the forum, but didn't search, will do now.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,847 Likes on 3,163 Posts

milet, the cosmetic wipes work wonders and you can keep one or two in the center console should the buttons start to become greasy/sticky again.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,076 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
milet, the cosmetic wipes work wonders and you can keep one or two in the center console should the buttons start to become greasy/sticky again.
I recommend just keep working the wipes and toothpicks until you have ALL of the sticky resin removed. The buttons will no longer have that luxurious "soft touch" feel, but obviously it wasn't a good product and Jaguar should not have used it in the first place. I worked most of two Sundays to rid my XF completely of the stuff. But resist the temptation to use anything more aggressive than makeup remover wipes, no acetone, no razor blades, dental picks, etc. or you risk damaging the lettering on the buttons or scratching the surfaces. Just resolve to take your time, maybe set aside a couple of hours, do one panel a weekend or something. It will be well worth the effort.

Last edited by pdupler; 03-23-2022 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XJsss (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Have to agree with pdupler. It takes a LOT of time to get all the goo off. I just finished all the panels in my XJ. It probably took 4 or 5 different sessions to get it all. It's frustrating to me (Because it is SLOW) so I get tired and stop for a couple of months then touch it and feel the sticky again!

There are some that are easy to forget too. All 4 PW switches and door lock buttons, both front seat memory buttons, trunk release button on dash, rear center console AC/Heat control panel. The wipes soften the goo but you need to remove the goo after it gets soft by balling it up with a plastic push stick or your finger nails. Then the little ***** need to be removed with paper towels.

The steering wheel switches were the toughest for me and the heated steering wheel and the cruise disconnect I just did the back sides as that's all you touch to operate those switches. The 4 way rocker switches just have a bunch of small details that hold the goo. The MOST annoying one was the volume knob in the center console and it was a black/brown goo because I had touched it so much with my fingers.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply used rubbing alcohol from Walgreens to resolve the stickiness. It performed remarkably well.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Have to agree with pdupler. It takes a LOT of time to get all the goo off. I just finished all the panels in my XJ. It probably took 4 or 5 different sessions to get it all. It's frustrating to me (Because it is SLOW) so I get tired and stop for a couple of months then touch it and feel the sticky again!

There are some that are easy to forget too. All 4 PW switches and door lock buttons, both front seat memory buttons, trunk release button on dash, rear center console AC/Heat control panel. The wipes soften the goo but you need to remove the goo after it gets soft by balling it up with a plastic push stick or your finger nails. Then the little ***** need to be removed with paper towels.

The steering wheel switches were the toughest for me and the heated steering wheel and the cruise disconnect I just did the back sides as that's all you touch to operate those switches. The 4 way rocker switches just have a bunch of small details that hold the goo. The MOST annoying one was the volume knob in the center console and it was a black/brown goo because I had touched it so much with my fingers.
I know this is an old post but the volume button is the easiest because you can just pull it off and clean it.