XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sunroof Rust.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the information, it has given me something to look out for. Fingers crossed mine remains okay.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re:

Hello,
I just checked mine and I also have signs of corrosion or rust.My car is a Jaguar XJL from November 2010. If I'll call Jaguar dealer they will be cover for it or I should have purchased the paint and corrosion warranty separately? Cheers.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

In the UK we get a 3 year paint finish warranty (which would cover the roof pod rust) and a 6 year bodywork corrosion warranty (which does not cover the pod as it is not considered structural).

Some people manage a contribution from Jaguar as it is a known fault that will affect every car produced up until they switched parts. Not everyone gets a contribution - it depends how hard your dealer wants to pursue it for you.

As others have discussed when investigated it is evident that the pod was not treated with any primer - it is merely soft steel with a paint finish and in hot weather the rubber from the sun roof bonds to the paint surface and the normal movement of the panels as the car moves causes the paint to break allowing water and oxygen in and the rust to form. If you are the first/original owner of the vehicle then you can get it redressed through the original seller regardless of any Jaguar contribution under the Sale of Goods Act as Jaguar have admitted that it was a problem with the car they supplied. A Small Claims Court claim against the seller with the TSB acknowledging the fault should be enough to win if you need to take it that far.

The only suitable fix if it has got as far as the pictures in this thread is to replace the pod because the rust continues under the rear moonroof glass panel and the retrofitted mylar tape does not go that far. It would be prudent to instruct the bodyshop doing the replacement to apply a suitable lubricant to all rubber surfaces when it is reassembled to increase the time before it fails again.

Good luck, and please report back with your experiences getting this redressed.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
jaguarxjl (11-22-2015), splatter88 (10-29-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
In the UK we get a 3 year paint finish warranty (which would cover the roof pod rust) and a 6 year bodywork corrosion warranty (which does not cover the pod as it is not considered structural).

Some people manage a contribution from Jaguar as it is a known fault that will affect every car produced up until they switched parts. Not everyone gets a contribution - it depends how hard your dealer wants to pursue it for you.

As others have discussed when investigated it is evident that the pod was not treated with any primer - it is merely soft steel with a paint finish and in hot weather the rubber from the sun roof bonds to the paint surface and the normal movement of the panels as the car moves causes the paint to break allowing water and oxygen in and the rust to form. If you are the first/original owner of the vehicle then you can get it redressed through the original seller regardless of any Jaguar contribution under the Sale of Goods Act as Jaguar have admitted that it was a problem with the car they supplied. A Small Claims Court claim against the seller with the TSB acknowledging the fault should be enough to win if you need to take it that far.

The only suitable fix if it has got as far as the pictures in this thread is to replace the pod because the rust continues under the rear moonroof glass panel and the retrofitted mylar tape does not go that far. It would be prudent to instruct the bodyshop doing the replacement to apply a suitable lubricant to all rubber surfaces when it is reassembled to increase the time before it fails again.

Good luck, and please report back with your experiences getting this redressed.
Thank you for your fast reply and elaborate answers.I am the second owner of the car.I don't think I'll convince them to contribute but I will follow your advice and at least try.I want to know what are my options.I have attached some pictures with the actual rust.I will keep you updated as soon as I have some answers regarding this matter.Thank you

Old 11-09-2015, 03:57 PM

I am back with more info. I went today in London Barnet Jaguar dealer to ask them about the rust problem.They did not seemed impressed I am quite young and english is not my native language so I didn't know to counteract the refusals . One of the service department employees came and checked the rust. Obviously he acted like he never heard about this problem with their cars. He started to tell me the same things that I've read here on different threads. The sunroof is not part of chassis and can corrode from other external factors ...so probably it is my fault that they have used "good" materials when manufactured the vehicle .. I also have the annoying popping and rattling noise coming from the sunroof and have explained them and showed them a video regarding this matter. After 10 minutes of waiting I received a quote of 4500£ for a new sunroof without labour. They advised me to call directly to Jaguar at costumer service. I did that and spoke with a lady I don't remember her name explained that the rust is not there from yesterday even the car has almost 5 years and it is a manufacturing issue . She said that the 3 years warranty expired and I am not entitled for a compensation and pretend that never heard about those issues She will speak with a manager and consider the millage of the car the age and if I had owned previously a Jaguar product. So being my first Jaguar product is a bad thing for them. I had to own 3 or 4 Jaguar cars probably for my query to be serious. In the and she said that raised a case and I will receive and answer on Wednesday. I will keep you up to date with the answer.

The following users liked this post:
jaguarxjl (11-22-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM

Here are my actual rust and noise.

Sunroof noise youtube link:

Last edited by cicirrigi; 11-09-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a link
jaguarxjl (11-22-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

The old "we've never heard of that problem before" trick comes out every time, which is why I always go armed with printed copies of TSBs and service messages relating to the problem I am reporting. It's a bit harder for them to deny knowledge of it then. With something like the rusty roof pods it is such a widespread problem with a Jaguar-published remedy that there is virtually no chance that a UK main dealer has not encountered it before. If they have any vehicles older than 12 months in their lot some will almost certainly have the issue so you could show it to them if challenged.

The roof pods (certainly the original ones, I would hope they have addressed this now) did not have a suitable primer applied to the pressed steel tracks so the paint separated and the rust easily formed. Many unrelated body shops and a few main dealers have concluded that independantly from examining the pods. I would be sure to stress that to Jaguar CS when they respond to you - it is fundamentally a design and materials problem with the original car, and nothing to do with routine maintenance. Realistically you should aim for a 50-75% contribution for the parts cost and no labour.

Incidentally, that £4,500 for a new sunroof without labour seems excessively high. My local Jag-approved bodyshop quoted me £2,200 with labour to replace the pod. Ask for an itemised list of the parts being replaced with their codes so you can obtain a competitive quote - you may find the price suddenly drops (more likely they will claim to offer a bigger goodwill reduction, but in reality just started too high).

Last edited by xdave; 11-10-2015 at 04:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
cicirrigi (11-10-2015), jaguarxjl (11-22-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I had a new roof pod fitted a few months ago, I had to contribute about 20% towards the cost, my contribution was around £600 or so if I remember correctly.
I have had 9 Jaguars over the years and always been a customer of our local main dealer, although only this one was a brand new car when I got it 4 1/2 years ago.

cicirrigi (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 06:02 PM

Thank you very much for your reply and advice. It was very helpful and now I can understand what I have to do next. I will try to chase this and hopefully obtain a compensation because I am not willing to pay 4500£ for a new roof. I prefer to trade the car and switch brand.I am waiting for their phone-call tomorrow. I'll keep you updated. Cheers

Old 11-22-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by JohnGBUK
I have just checked mine. My car is a 2013 model. It does not have bare metal and appears to have instead plastic or plastic coating in this area.
same with mine. It seems jaguar has resolved this issue from 2013. How about 2012? Anyone?

Old 11-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cicirrigi
Thank you very much for your reply and advice. It was very helpful and now I can understand what I have to do next. I will try to chase this and hopefully obtain a compensation because I am not willing to pay 4500£ for a new roof. I prefer to trade the car and switch brand.I am waiting for their phone-call tomorrow. I'll keep you updated. Cheers
It's ridiculous for them to claim that they haven't seen it before. I hope jaguar would do the right thing for you. Please do keep us informed.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Hi,
I came back with some updates regarding the problems of the car. I received the answer from Jaguar on 13/11/2015 and they've said there is nothing that they can do for me. I am not entitled to receive any compensation because this is my first Jaguar car and the warranty expired. So I've went to Jaguar in Park Royal 3 days ago to program a new that I've purchased from E-bay and ask them to look at the rust and sunroof noises. I also had wind noise and some vibration in the steering wheel that needed to be checked to. They have investigated the problems and called me today saying that those are not the issues. And I have an entire list.
The list is this:
Sunroof needs to be striped off and fixed (140£).
Exhaust link Pipes are broken and they are vibrating and making a noise when the car decelerates (440£).
Hand Brake has an error and needs to be investigated (70£)
Steering Wheel is probably vibrating because the wheels are not aligned. All 4 wheels alignment and front wheel balance. (184£+67£=263£)
The Key cannot be programmed because they say that came from a newer model. It looks similar and in the description the seller said that is from an 2010 car. I need an update for ECU and 2 sets of new keys( 780£). So I don't want anymore a spare key. I will just keep mine and try to sell the other one.
The drivers door sill needs to be replaced and tested for wind noise (184£)
I have an oil leak from the front suspension. I've asked more exactly what leaks and he said suspension unit control arm (450£) I've tried to search for the part online but I cannot seem to find it. I cannot see how an arm can leak. Someone said that is a hydraulic arm but I can't find that either. Does anyone now or has a scheme for the front suspension?
The total cost of repairs is 2327£
I've decided to repair the roof,align the wheels and balance them, change the door sill and repair the hand brake. I have also ordered the exhaust link pipes from a website and I will change them somewhere else. The only thing that remain is that arm but I could't find yet what is the exact name or how it looks. So the rust remains there and I will need to pay all this. At least I hope that the rattling to disappear.
I purchased the car from a garage and it has one year warranty with a company named Car protect warranty. And I have the silver package. They have a lot covered in this warranty but from the internet reviews it seems that they are crap. The car has full Jaguar service history and a clean MOT ( No one really checked this car properly).
I'll keep you updated and give you a feedback after repairs. In the meantime if anyone can help me with the suspension arm I will really appreciate that. Thank you!

Last edited by cicirrigi; 11-26-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 04-21-2018, 03:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem with my sunroof. It's covered with heavy rust. Mine is 2010 XJL, so I guess no chance to have any compensation from Jaguar dealership, however I am having my car checked with them next week. Hoping for the best.
I never thought that flagship model and aluminum body would have these problems.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

The corrosion warranty on a Jag is a lot longer than the normal warranty. You should check. Possible they may work with you to address it.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the bodywork corrosion warranty only applies to what they deem structural panels and members, and the roof pod is not included. This fault would only be covered under the original paint finish warranty which is only 3 years in the UK (it would be interesting to see if that is extended elsewhere).

If you approach the dealer with the TSB which acknowledges the issue, you may get a reduction on parts and labour to cost-only, but equally you may not. It is harder to get contributions if you are not the original owner.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:14 AM

Here is my 2010 roof -

Old 04-22-2018, 07:32 PM

Mine is similar now. I am curious what solution they will find for you. I wonder if is there any change to remove the sunroof to clean that rust and apply a layer of anticorrosive paint or something else. Please let us know what the dealer said about solving this problem.Cheers

Old 05-02-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cicirrigi
Mine is similar now. I am curious what solution they will find for you. I wonder if is there any change to remove the sunroof to clean that rust and apply a layer of anticorrosive paint or something else. Please let us know what the dealer said about solving this problem.Cheers
This is how my story ended ( replacing the entire sunroof from a 2014 donor )-

Last edited by lolshto; 05-02-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

this product will stop the rust forever.

https://www.por15.com/Stop-Rust-Kit

I
have used this product on floor boards, chassis, suspension parts, and body mount supports on tons of classic cars through the years with outstanding results. If jaguar will not help you I would suggest this product, its very cheap and actually works! I know I would not spend a few grand fixing surface rust on an early model X351 that is worth less than $15k but that is just me.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad55chevy
this product will stop the rust forever.

https://www.por15.com/Stop-Rust-Kit

I
have used this product on floor boards, chassis, suspension parts, and body mount supports on tons of classic cars through the years with outstanding results. If jaguar will not help you I would suggest this product, its very cheap and actually works! I know I would not spend a few grand fixing surface rust on an early model X351 that is worth less than $15k but that is just me.
Thanks a lot for your hint. I just purchased that product, even though I replaced the roof. I don't want the rust to come back. I red some very positive feedback about it.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Rust.