XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sunroof Rust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sunroof Rust.

Hay folks,

I have that roof popping noise and after getting it fixed (not), I decided to have a look at what it looks like on the inside when open. I give things a jiggle to see if I could figure out what was making the noise, but no noise. To my surprise however I saw all this rust where the glass sits.

Do any of you have this rust where the sunroof glass sits?

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof Rust.-img_0372.jpg   Sunroof Rust.-img_0381.jpg   Sunroof Rust.-img_0383.jpg   Sunroof Rust.-img_0366.jpg  

Last edited by splatter88; 11-02-2014 at 12:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (11-03-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

I didn't think I did, until i cleaned these areas on my '11 XJL. Then noticed a few small (perhaps 1 mm diameter) blisters, which when I scraped them off showed what appeared to be rust underneath. Perhaps this is the beginning condition of what you have. I put touch-up paint on them.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Hi John,

I'll be definitely getting this fixed by the dealer as,

Quote: If any part of your Jaguar’s bodywork is corroded with rust, the affected panels are repaired or replaced by a Jaguar Authorised Repairer, free of charge.
Regardless of mileage or any change of ownership, this cover lasts six years from the day you take delivery of your new Jaguar. end quote.

Mines is 4 years old and you's is 3 years so well within that time frame. I just hope at the same time they can actually fix the noise that comes from the roof.

I'm shocked at the level of rust though and wonder why this has not been noticed in the "Jaguar Comprehensive multi-point inspection" before I bought it in May from Jaguar.

retriever-007 (12-25-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by splatter88
Hi John,

I'll be definitely getting this fixed by the dealer as,

Quote: If any part of your Jaguar’s bodywork is corroded with rust, the affected panels are repaired or replaced by a Jaguar Authorised Repairer, free of charge.
Regardless of mileage or any change of ownership, this cover lasts six years from the day you take delivery of your new Jaguar. end quote.

Mines is 4 years old and you's is 3 years so well within that time frame. I just hope at the same time they can actually fix the noise that comes from the roof.

I'm shocked at the level of rust though and wonder why this has not been noticed in the "Jaguar Comprehensive multi-point inspection" before I bought it in May from Jaguar.
Good luck to you, and please keep us informed. This corrosion shouldn't be taking place, and is totally unacceptable.

splatter88 (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Are these cars parked outside? I am a little surprised at the amount of rust!

Old 11-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Hi amcdonal86,

I think my car has spent most of it's life north of England (Yorkshire area), then 9 months in Scotland, Edinburgh. (last owner) and now me (again Scotland) but I've garage it in any wet and now cold weather. I think you're right though it must have spent most of it's days out in all weathers before I got her for there to be so much rust.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

This is scary. Going to check my car when I leave the office this evening. Best of luck, guys, in getting this resolved.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by splatter88
Hi amcdonal86,

I think my car has spent most of it's life north of England (Yorkshire area), then 9 months in Scotland, Edinburgh. (last owner) and now me (again Scotland) but I've garage it in any wet and now cold weather. I think you're right though it must have spent most of it's days out in all weathers before I got her for there to be so much rust.
I should think one could test for leakage into this area by running water over the sunroof, or checking these areas after coming out of a pressurized car wash.

Of course, this assumes previous owners didn't leave the sunroof cracked open to the ventilation position and/or didn't close it fully when showers occurred.

After having the sunroof fully opened, to close it one must activate the close button twice, once to bring the glass to an almost closed but still ventilating position, a second time to close the glass to a fully tight and sealed position. Previous owners may have thought they had fully closed the sunroof, but in reality left it partially open.

Another possibility is their was leaf or pine needle debris atop the outer gasket that is supposed to seal against the sunroof interior, thus allowing leakage.

I didn't detect any drainage openings adjacent to the areas of concern, so perhaps any leakage or condensation hasn't any way to drain out.

Condensation, is also a possibility, especially on a car left outside where it is subject to hot sun during the day, and then cool or frosty nights, or even snow accumulations. These radical temperature changes could definitely cause "sweating' condensation on the subject interior surface and adjacent areas, and, without ventilation, such moisture would remain trapped, promoting corrosion.

Normally, after exiting a pressurized car wash, I open all doors, the boot lid, and bonnet to dry all water leakage in the luggage and engine compartments, plus around the doors. From now on I will open the sunroof, to dry these recesses as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by johndahlheimer:
retriever-007 (12-25-2014), splatter88 (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Well good news, My car is booked in for the 24th to get the rust sorted and a kit put on to fix the noise that comes from it too. I'll post the results when i get her back.

In the mean time I would say if any of you have signs of rust to get it in to you're dealer and get is sorted for free.

The following 2 users liked this post by splatter88:
Angus (11-05-2014), QP7 (06-30-2023)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:03 AM

Well thats it done and they also put some kind of elastic tape on, It's like the same kind elastic rubber protection you get on new devices screens. I guess that should mean the water can't touch the paint work. The white bits are little pockets of traped air, I think a blast from a heat gun should make it stick better.

The following 2 users liked this post by splatter88:
retriever-007 (12-25-2014), reyesfam (04-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM

Hmm, an interesting approach to preventing future corrosion. Thank you for the update, and the excellent photos you provided. Merry Christmas!

splatter88 (12-25-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

No corrosion at all here, and it's a 2001. Other problems
are seen in the x300/x308 sections, but corrosion is
not one of them.

The mechanism is almost identical from the photos.

Rather than fixing the weaknesses of the original sunroof
they must have embarked on yet more cost engineering.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:32 AM

I've been told on a other forum that it's Mylar tape they've used. He says it's used along the truck bed to protect the paint against rubbing from the weather seal along the bottom of the fibreglass top. It does eventually wear through but takes a few years to get there.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the jaguar was all Aluminum? Not true, I guess?
I have a 2013 xjl, here in USA.
Thanks for the quote - splatter88.. good to know that we don't have to have extended warranty for this rust issue.
I should take a look at putting the mylar tape, as a pre-emptive measure.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Splatter 88 it has been over 6 months since you had your sunroof painted to eradicate the rust, could you please tell me, has it cured the problem or is the rust starting to return, the only reason I ask is I have been given two options, one is to have a new sunroof fitted, but that sounds to involve major surgery, the other has been to have it rubbed down and treated with rust agent and then repainted, if I opt for the new roof Jaguar want me to pay towards the cost were as there would be no cost if it is painted. The rust on my roof does not appear to be as bad as yours at this moment of time.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:28 AM

Hi Zingaro,

Thanks for remindeing me to have a look. Unfortunately it has started to come back again, so I rang up the body shop guy to have a look at it. He'll see it on next Monday at four pm, he'll take pics and so on for Jaguar to authorized whatever work needs doing to it this time.

Don't pay for any work that they suggest as it's up to them (Jaguar not dealer) to fix it free of charge. If they think it needs new sunroof pod then thats on there head not yours.

Quote form Jagaur UK:

Paint Surface Warranty

With this Warranty, if any paintwork needs attention, the work will be completed by a Jaguar Authorised Repairer, free of charge.
This cover lasts three years from the day you take delivery of your new Jaguar, regardless of mileage.

Corrosion Protection Warranty

=->If any part of your Jaguar’s bodywork is corroded with rust, the affected panels are repaired or replaced by a Jaguar Authorised Repairer, free of charge.-=<

Regardless of mileage or any change of ownership, this cover lasts six years from the day you take delivery of your new Jaguar.
If your car is in an accident and needs repairs to the bodywork, they should be carried out by a Jaguar Approved Repairer in order for the repaired sections to still be covered by the Corrosion Protection Warranty.

Last edited by splatter88; 06-23-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM

Hi Splatter88 thanks for getting back to me, sorry to hear yours in coming back. I had a meeting today with the aftersales manager of HAFox and there official Jaguar approved bodyshop, the aftersales manager was keen to get mine repainted as it is such a mammoth job of removing the old sunroof cassette and installing a new one, the body shop assessor said he would paint it, but he said it was like wallpapering over cracks, he said because it goes behind the seals that you cannot get too, that the corrosion would soon return.

I have also had two insurance and manufacturer approved bodyshops also luck at the rust and they were of the same opinion, that the sunroof needs to be replaced and mine does not look as bad as yours, both bodyshops also said that the paint was applied to sparse, and did not appear to have a suitable undercoat primer onto prevent corrosion.

I said to the aftersales manager why dont I leave the car with you and get Jaguar to send there engineers to have a look, he said he tried that and they did not want to know, they kept telling him to use the bulletin that they had sent out to all the Jaguar dealership, which was a case off using a black spraycan to repaint the area, he is worried as they have never attempted to replace one before, he said there are 30 pages of info to follow, I said why do you not send it back to the factory and get Jaguar with there experience to do the job, but apparently Jaguar do not want to do it. Costing wise Jaguar have offered to contribute 80% towards the cost of the work and parts, HAFox have discounted the price of there labour so the price comes in at £2359.00 JLR will contribute £1893.00, HAFox will contribute £233 leaving me to pay £233, my car was registered at the end of 2011 so they say it is out of the paintwork warranty and claim that the 6 year corrosion warranty does not cover it as it is not part of the body.

I have told my dealer on principle that any contribution I have to pay, I will go for a refund via County Court using the sales of goods act, as I dont think Jaguar are been fair to there customers, knowing that the part is not durable or manufactured to a high enough spec to prevent corrosion from happening, this is why they have had to send out bulletins to dealers, which is not really a proper fix as the problem will reoccur. I will then publish the court case on the Internet making everyone aware of how sneaky Jaguar are been by not making there customers aware of this problem. What is really worrying is that I looked at a brand new XJ in the showroom and the paint looks exactly the same, you would think that knowing the problems they are getting with them that they would change the spec to make them more durable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zingaro:
reyesfam (04-24-2018), splatter88 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just checked mine. My car is a 2013 model. It does not have bare metal and appears to have instead plastic or plastic coating in this area.

splatter88 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by JohnGBUK
I have just checked mine. My car is a 2013 model. It does not have bare metal and appears to have instead plastic or plastic coating in this area.
I pleased to hear that you do not have any rust on the sunroof, but I would check again before your car becomes 3 year old so that you can put a claim in under warranty if it does occur, me and the aftersales manager looked at a brand new 2015 model in the showroom and appeared to be the same as mine.

Mine is going in to have a new sunroof frame fitted, I am pleased to say that the total cost is now been met by Jaguar and the dealership after some arguing and the fact they new I was going to go to court to recoup any costs they wanted to burden me with for what is an inferior component.

One thing I am going to do now that I know of the problem is to open the sunroof and apply a good coat of wax and everytime is goes for a wash I will make sure the roof is opened and the edges are dried off. I may even spray it with silicone spray each time as well for double measures as I dont want the rust to reoccur if they have not altered the spec of it. I will be selling the car or trading it in early next year, so hopefully it will not be a problem to me whilst in my ownership.

The following 4 users liked this post by Zingaro:
JohnGBUK (06-24-2015), LiquidIce (06-24-2015), reyesfam (02-15-2019), splatter88 (06-25-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Zingaro
I pleased to hear that you do not have any rust on the sunroof, but I would check again before your car becomes 3 year old so that you can put a claim in under warranty if it does occur, me and the aftersales manager looked at a brand new 2015 model in the showroom and appeared to be the same as mine.

Mine is going in to have a new sunroof frame fitted, I am pleased to say that the total cost is now been met by Jaguar and the dealership after some arguing and the fact they new I was going to go to court to recoup any costs they wanted to burden me with for what is an inferior component.

One thing I am going to do now that I know of the problem is to open the sunroof and apply a good coat of wax and everytime is goes for a wash I will make sure the roof is opened and the edges are dried off. I may even spray it with silicone spray each time as well for double measures as I dont want the rust to reoccur if they have not altered the spec of it. I will be selling the car or trading it in early next year, so hopefully it will not be a problem to me whilst in my ownership.

Best of luck, mate, and glad that it was sorted out in your favor. Good tips above and I will make sure that I do the same for my car. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Rust.