XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Swap steering wheel - wood for leather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap steering wheel - wood for leather?

has anybody swapped steering wheels in an XJ? I'm seeing a lot of wood steering wheels and I think I prefer the all leather. Of, if you prefer the wood, please tell me why - maybe I'll change my mind
thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Since I took one of the dealer's initial order of cars, I got the wood steering wheel. I would have preferred to have the leather one, mostly because you can burn the s**t out of your hands on a hot summer day here in Houston. I also just like the feel of a leather one. Oh well, maybe on the next one--not worth trying to swap them out.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine has a half wood, half leather. Leather wraps around the underside of the wheel while
wood wraps around the topside. So it's only half as hot as hell in the summer.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Mine has a half wood, half leather. Leather wraps around the underside of the wheel while
wood wraps around the topside. So it's only half as hot as hell in the summer.
Unfortunately, it's the top that gets so hot. When I first get in the car after leaving it in the sun, which I don't do very often, I have to steer using the bottom only!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have the wood/leather steering wheel and would prefer the all leather steering wheel. As others have mentioned it gets very hot in the sun and I just prefer the feel of the leather vs the wood. The wood does look good though.

Or you could just get one of those cheap pep boys leather covers. Lol

Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The salesman at Jag told me that the wood steering wheels cracked in the sun, and that he strongly recommended against getting the wood on the steering wheel.

But I got one anyway. I park under cover at work, so my car is rarely exposed to direct sunlight while parked. Even then, it's only hot for a few moments before the AC cools it off. The only thing I don't like about the wood is the CLACK of my wedding band on the wood while turning the wheel.

It's just that the interior of the car looks so good with the wood steering wheel. It really sets off the other components of the wood panel trim. I think the interior would not look nearly as nice without the wood. If that matters to you.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Re-reading HouTexJag's post above, I think that your geographic location would matter a lot in your decision. If you live in Houston (like I did for many years) or South Florida, if you park outside for ten months of the year, your car gets to 150 degrees in seconds and the steering wheel will be as hot as an iron when you get in.

For me, in the frozen tundra of the north, it gets that hot maybe two or three months of the year, and I'm parked under cover anyway, so the heat-cracking and hot wheel probably doesn't matter as much to me as it would if I still lived in Houston or moved to Miami.

Overall all, though, I love my wood steering wheel. Really really looks sharp. I wouldn't get a leather one unless I had to. My wife's SUV has a leather steering wheel, and it's nice and quite functional, but now that I'm used to the wood on my jag, it looks so plain to me now. Please let us know your decision.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Since I took one of the dealer's initial order of cars, I got the wood steering wheel. I would have preferred to have the leather one, mostly because you can burn the s**t out of your hands on a hot summer day here in Houston. I also just like the feel of a leather one. Oh well, maybe on the next one--not worth trying to swap them out.
Hi,
I got the leather, and for your info.....I am also burning the s**** out of my hands. Especially on the chrome ring on it. So no difference there. Hey, if you want to swap let me know. I like the wood as well for looks, (friend of mine has it) but the leather one feels better. Just my 2 cents on this. FYI, Mine is black.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We need heated and cooled steering wheels.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by gears
Hi,
I got the leather, and for your info.....I am also burning the s**** out of my hands. Especially on the chrome ring on it. So no difference there. Hey, if you want to swap let me know. I like the wood as well for looks, (friend of mine has it) but the leather one feels better. Just my 2 cents on this. FYI, Mine is black.
I do like the look of the wood, but I also like the feel of the leather. I swear you could get branded on mine on a real hot day--of course we are having record highs here at 106 degrees.