XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Thinking of Coming Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thinking of Coming Back

Greetings!

I was last on this forum in autumn 2018. At the time, I had just sold my 2014 XJL because I had $14k worth of warranty work done in the final month of the car's four-year warranty period. And then when my negotiations on a new 2018 XJL fell apart, I ended up selling the XJL outright and switching over to a Genesis G80 3.3T Sport. Here's that thread if anyone's interested: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...timing-208670/

Now for the update: I leased the G80 because I wanted an easy out in case I didn't like it. As it turns out, although I like the car just fine, I'm not that thrilled with having to deal with the local Hyundai dealerships for servicing. There's also a couple of minor irritations with the car's navigation and infotainment system. In any case, I was going to just wait for the lease to expire next year, but I've gotten the itch to get out of it now and go back to my beloved Jaguar now, especially since they won't be making any more gas-powered engines and I don't want an electric XJ. Inventory is already getting low on the remaining new 2019s, and I've seen discounts online as much as $30k off for them, which seems very reasonable to me.

The only thing I'm completely unfamiliar with is this new (at least to me) trim level called Collection which comes with a 470hp V8. My 2012 XJL was a V8 with 385hp and my 2014 was a V6 with 340hp. I'm familiar with the 575hp engine as well, but not this 470hp. Does anyone have this Collection edition or is otherwise familiar with the 470hp engine? My local dealerships don't have this model, so I may not get a chance to test drive it. Also, if anyone has any other comments or insights on the XJ-Collection trim level, I would appreciate those as well. (I have seen the one-page write-up on the JaguarUSA website.)

Thanks in advance for any advice (including pricing) or general comments.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Here's everything you need to know about the "2019 XJL Collection Edition" model - it's a US market-only farewell of 300 units.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/19/...les-auto-show/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ecial-edition/

Your 2012 XJL with 385HP is basically the same 5.0L engine as in my 2013 XJ with 470HP. The difference is that 385HP version is normally aspirated and the 470HP version is supercharged. Other differences include some internal engine components and the ECU tune. But the biggest difference is the greater amount of low-end torque of the SC engine that translates into better driveability and responsiveness. Do you need 470HP? No, but it sure is a helluva lot of fun! The 575HP version is also basically the same 5.0L engine with a different tune, and can get you in trouble in a heartbeat if you're not careful.

The 5.0L is a great engine regardless of the HP. It's has a split personality; docile around town and brutally fast. But it does have some known flaws regardless of HP, including the water pump failure and excessive chain tensioner wear that causes noise and possible failure above 50,000 miles. My water pump was replaced under warranty at 30K miles, but the latest version of the pump appears to be more reliable and might have solved the problem. Frequent oil changes - every 5,000 miles - appears to be the solution to the chain tensioner issue. That chain tensioner was redesigned a few years ago and the 2019 has it and shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't gotten tired of driving my XJ or my XKR.

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

As a final year of x351 production, the 2019's are priced to roll.

Of the 327 new XJ's nationwide, only 58 seem to be Collection Trim.

Pricing sweet spot is $70k against the $86k list.
5.0 s/c 470bhp should run nicely.

Are the water pump, thermostat seals and plastic coolant pipe longevities improved on the final year?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ecial-edition/

Last edited by F1Virginia; 05-24-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:36 AM

I appreciate both of your responses, especially Stuart's detailed info on the engine. Unfortunately, this may now be moot for the time being. I got interested in doing this deal yesterday when I saw 2 BRG XJ Collection vehicles advertised for sale for $57,411 at a dealership in Florida, a discount of $30k off of the $87,110 MSRP. Since they were closed yesterday, I sent them an email telling them I was interested in the cars at that price and asked for the OTD amount. Although I received an email first thing this morning from a sales guy there telling me that the car was available and ready for immediate delivery, it turns out that the email was just a boilerplate response. The sales guy subsequently sent me a text telling me that he checked the stock numbers and that both vehicles had been sold.

There is another dealer in Florida who has one listed at $62,997, so I may check with them next. I'm definitely not willing to go up to your "sweetspot" of $70k for a 2019 vehicle, regardless of how special this 1 of 300 is supposed to be.

Last edited by MadManOfBethesda; 05-25-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Dealer in Houston had $26K off $87K sticker for BRG Collection.
Beautiful car.
I would've bought it, but being her car, she wanted the shorter XJ...

Old 05-25-2020, 08:53 PM

I guess somebody bought it cuz there's only one left in Houston and the online price for that one is listed as $74,441. Although I'm beginning to wonder about these online prices and if they are just come ons. As I wrote earlier, I contacted a dealer in Florida who had two on his website listed for sale at $57,411. However, when I contacted them I was told that they both had sold and they wanted to know whether they could interest me in a different (and of course, more expensive) vehicle. I declined their "offer" and contacted a different dealership on the other coast of Florida who had (and still has) an XJ Collection in BRG listed on their website at $62,997. However, I was told that that particular vehicle had recently been sold to someone in Texas (coincidentally), but that they had an identical XJ Collection in BRG available for a price of $67,997. I'm still not clear on his explanation as to why the asking prices on these two identical vehicles have a $5k difference in price, but I'll inquire further when I actually go to the dealership.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
... I'm still not clear on his explanation as to why the asking prices on these two identical vehicles have a $5k difference in price, but I'll inquire further when I actually go to the dealership.
It's an obvious case of "Bait and Switch". Even if they accept your lower offer, watch out for the "required Doc Fee" for the paperwork, which is pure BS and is really additional dealer profit. Whatever explanation they give you, realize that the truth is it's simply more profit if they can get it.

I'd make a lowball offer, net cost out the door plus tax, tag, and title costs, and let them counter offer including their doc fee.

You have foot power - it's stronger than the 470HP they have. Walk away and I guarantee that they will call you. Remember that you're an amateur playing against the pros - they do this every day and know every trick in the book. Level the playing field and don't pay them a penny more than you want. Their business has fallen on hard times and they're struggling to stay alive. You're a rarity - a buyer! They have you on the hook and don't want to let you get away. Don't let your emotions control your business judgment.

Good luck with your quest!

Old 05-26-2020, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
It's an obvious case of "Bait and Switch". Even if they accept your lower offer, watch out for the "required Doc Fee" for the paperwork, which is pure BS and is really additional dealer profit. Whatever explanation they give you, realize that the truth is it's simply more profit if they can get it.
No doubt. In fact, I just ran into the same issue for a third time this morning. I contacted a third dealer in Florida who had a "Buy It Now" price listed for an XJ Collection in BRG on their website. I filled out their contact form on their website last night and I was called first thing this morning and told that lo and behold, the car sold over the weekend, but they'd be happy to help find me another car. I guess I'm a bit naive; I didn't think Jaguar dealers engaged in this B.S.

It's interesting that although there were only 300 of these special edition cars released, there's still quite a few heavily discounted units on the market 6 months later. And yet, surprise surprise, every time I call a dealership to inquire about purchasing their lowest advertised-priced unit, it miraculously just sold the day before. And this in the middle of a pandemic with many people currently out of work and little to no foot traffic in dealerships.

I'd make a lowball offer, net cost out the door plus tax, tag, and title costs, and let them counter offer including their doc fee.

You have foot power - it's stronger than the 470HP they have. Walk away and I guarantee that they will call you. Remember that you're an amateur playing against the pros - they do this every day and know every trick in the book. Level the playing field and don't pay them a penny more than you want. Their business has fallen on hard times and they're struggling to stay alive. You're a rarity - a buyer! They have you on the hook and don't want to let you get away. Don't let your emotions control your business judgment.

Excellent advice. And thanks.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:26 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I guess somebody bought it cuz there's only one left in Houston and the online price for that one is listed as $74,441. Although I'm beginning to wonder about these online prices and if they are just come ons. As I wrote earlier, I contacted a dealer in Florida who had two on his website listed for sale at $57,411. However, when I contacted them I was told that they both had sold and they wanted to know whether they could interest me in a different (and of course, more expensive) vehicle. I declined their "offer" and contacted a different dealership on the other coast of Florida who had (and still has) an XJ Collection in BRG listed on their website at $62,997. However, I was told that that particular vehicle had recently been sold to someone in Texas (coincidentally), but that they had an identical XJ Collection in BRG available for a price of $67,997. I'm still not clear on his explanation as to why the asking prices on these two identical vehicles have a $5k difference in price, but I'll inquire further when I actually go to the dealership.
Yes, that's the vehicle we looked at in Houston, try calling them directly, last price we negotiated was $26k off...

Prices u see on the internet are all over the place, from a few $thousand to $30k off. I found mine with msrp sticker advertised with $0 off, then I asked if they will match the best discount off, & surprisingly, they matched it. So u just gotta email or call to find out...

Last edited by NavyBlue; 05-26-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Yes, that's the vehicle we looked at in Houston, try calling them directly, last price we negotiated was $26k off...

Prices u see on the internet are all over the place, from a few $thousand to $30k off. I found mine with msrp sticker advertised with $0 off, then I asked if they will match the best discount off, & surprisingly, they matched it. So u just gotta email or call to find out...
Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-26-2023, 10:23 AM

It's an obvious case of "Bait and Switch".

No doubt. In fact, I just ran into the same issue for a third time this morning. I contacted a third dealer in Florida who had a "Buy It Now" price listed for an XJ Collection in BRG on their website. I filled out their contact form on their website last night and I was called first thing this morning and told that lo and behold, the car sold over the weekend, but they'd be happy to help find me another car. I guess I'm a bit naive; I didn't think Jaguar dealers engaged in this B.S.

It's interesting that although there were only 300 of these special edition cars released, there's still quite a few heavily discounted units on the market 6 months later. And yet, surprise surprise, every time I call a dealership to inquire about purchasing their lowest advertised-priced unit, it miraculously just sold the day before. And this in the middle of a pandemic with many people currently out of work and little to no foot traffic in dealerships..
Since today marks the third anniversary of my last post in this thread, I thought I'd provide another update in my quest to return to the Jaguar family.

Back in 2020 when I started this thread, I ultimately failed in my quest to purchase a third new XJL (after my 2012 & 2014 purchases) due to the continued B.S. from Jag dealers. I ended up buying a Maserati Quattroporte, which I enjoyed driving for two years before selling it outright in July of last year because I no longer needed it. And by needing it, I meant a large four-door sedan. The reason that I had been driving large sedans for the past 10 years was basically to chauffeur my elderly parents around town; however, since I lost both of them in 2021, I no longer needed a large car.

I didn't replace the Quattroporte last summer because my wife and I were also preparing to sell our house and move out of state and I didn't want to deal with the hassle buying a new car in the middle of all that and then registering and re-registering the car in two states. Besides, we didn't really need two cars anyway. But now that we're settled in at our new house, it's time to go car shopping again! And this time, it is just for me, so I think that I'm either going to go with a Gran Turismo or come back to Jaguar and purchase the automobile I've loved since it first came out: an F-Type.

In fact, I went to the closest Jag dealer a couple of days ago to sit in one for the first time and then take it for a test drive. However, when I sat in a gorgeous Bluefire Blue coupe, I found out that at 6'4" I could barely fit into it. I thought all was lost until the salesperson suggested that I try the white convertible that was also on the lot. Lo and behold, I not only fit in it comfortably, but I even had more head room for some reason. Until then, I hadn't really noticed that the coupe and convertible had different body shapes. So an F-Type convertible is in the running to be my next car (although it definitely won't be a white one; I've never cared for white or black cars at all).

Anyway, that's where I am at the moment. Hopefully, my next update will be as a (once again) new Jag owner.

parnelli (05-27-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 04:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

MadMan, you are a month too late. There was a Collection car up in Gaithersburg (just north of you) a month ago. May want to check the local listings. They were asking $52K for it. I almost bought it. But, it was more than I was looking to spend on a car based on my situation and I ended up getting a 2016 Portfoliio XJL. There is a lot of options here in the DC area right now. Of note, if you find a car from a place called "AMKO", avoid those jerkoffs. They are known for doing bait and switch tactics and I got in the middle of it as they had the car I wanted and said that they would bring the car over from their other lot to one that was closer to me. I showed up, low and behold the car wasn't there. they said it would be there in 20 minutes. After 45 minutes, I just left. In the mean time, they said they had a nicer white XJL that I could look at right away. I had done my homework and found via the carfax that the white car had suffered an overheated engine that they deemed the fix was just a new set of head gaskets. Since the headgasket repair, the car had been in numerous times (6) for various coolant hose issues at about 2K mile intervals. Imagine that. The sales guy was a little taken aback when I told them that they couldn't give me that car based on its history and that they are going to have good luck selling that car since it effectively has a blown engine.

George05 (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

Good cars are hard to find , good luck in your search and hope to hear

Old 05-28-2023, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
MadMan, you are a month too late. There was a Collection car up in Gaithersburg (just north of you) a month ago. May want to check the local listings....
Hi, Thermo. You may have either commented after only reading my OP from 2020, or you misread my update a couple of days ago. I am now considering purchasing an F-Type because I no longer have a need for a four-door sedan. But I do appreciate you trying to help anyway.

Originally Posted by George05
Good cars are hard to find , good luck in your search and hope to hear
Thanks, George.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:53 PM

Since today marks the third anniversary of my last post in this thread, I thought I'd provide another update in my quest to return to the Jaguar family.

Back in 2020 when I started this thread, I ultimately failed in my quest to purchase a third new XJL (after my 2012 & 2014 purchases) due to the continued B.S. from Jag dealers. I ended up buying a Maserati Quattroporte, which I enjoyed driving for two years before selling it outright in July of last year because I no longer needed it. And by needing it, I meant a large four-door sedan. The reason that I had been driving large sedans for the past 10 years was basically to chauffeur my elderly parents around town; however, since I lost both of them in 2021, I no longer needed a large car.

I didn't replace the Quattroporte last summer because my wife and I were also preparing to sell our house and move out of state and I didn't want to deal with the hassle buying a new car in the middle of all that and then registering and re-registering the car in two states. Besides, we didn't really need two cars anyway. But now that we're settled in at our new house, it's time to go car shopping again! And this time, it is just for me, so I think that I'm either going to go with a Gran Turismo or come back to Jaguar and purchase the automobile I've loved since it first came out: an F-Type.

In fact, I went to the closest Jag dealer a couple of days ago to sit in one for the first time and then take it for a test drive. However, when I sat in a gorgeous Bluefire Blue coupe, I found out that at 6'4" I could barely fit into it. I thought all was lost until the salesperson suggested that I try the white convertible that was also on the lot. Lo and behold, I not only fit in it comfortably, but I even had more head room for some reason. Until then, I hadn't really noticed that the coupe and convertible had different body shapes. So an F-Type convertible is in the running to be my next car (although it definitely won't be a white one; I've never cared for white or black cars at all).

Anyway, that's where I am at the moment. Hopefully, my next update will be as a (once again) new Jag owner.
Time for another update.

I've always loved Jaguar's Firesand Orange color, ever since I was shopping for (and ultimately purchasing) a then-new 2014 XJL and sat in a Firesand F-Type while in the showroom. As noted earlier in this thread, I no longer need a large sedan and have been perusing all the various car sights to see what was available. I noticed that Jaguar came out with a new orange color (Atacama Orange) a few years ago, but I've only seen it on F-Type R cars, and I really didn't need or want all that extra horsepower. Not to mention not wanting to spend $90k+ for a used car. I was about to give up hope on finding my orange toy when I noticed that a somewhat local Toyota dealer just got a Firesand 2014 F-Type in as a trade. It has a lot more miles than I'm used to having on a car, but it seems in pretty good shape for an almost 10-year-old car. I went and test drove it this afternoon and told the salesman that if it passed a PPI at the local Jaguar dealership, I'd go ahead and buy it. And that's where the car is right now. In fact, I talked with the service advisor at the Jaguar dealership and she told me that the car had been serviced there on a regular basis and that the previous owner took good care of it. So barring any unforeseen problems when I hear back about the results of the PPI tomorrow, I may finally have the car I've always wanted, in the color that I've always loved. Here's the listing (albeit without any photos). If I can figure out how to do it, I'll upload a couple of photos that I took out on the lot.

Old 08-03-2023, 04:58 PM
Old 08-03-2023, 05:20 PM

Here are a couple of pics (I hope).

Old 08-04-2023, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Congrats (hopefully) on getting the car of your dreams. Not sure by what you mean by "lots of miles", but these engines will last you out to 300K miles easily if you take care of them. So, do not let something with say 100K miles steer you away. Sure, it may need a little more TLC as it gets older, but don't we all? You know there is lots of helpful information and people here, we can keep you going in the car.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:27 AM

Congrats (hopefully) on getting the car of your dreams. Not sure by what you mean by "lots of miles", but these engines will last you out to 300K miles easily if you take care of them. So, do not let something with say 100K miles steer you away.
It has ~94k miles and I've never even owned a car with more than 70k, and that was only after driving the same car for 10 years, lol. Most of the cars I've owned I bought new and then traded them in when the manufacturer's warranty expired, so I rarely reached 50k miles.

Sure, it may need a little more TLC as it gets older, but don't we all?
LOL. Ain't that the truth.

You know there is lots of helpful information and people here, we can keep you going in the car.
That's what I'm counting on! Thanks.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

manofBethesda, granted, if you are up in the DC area and need some help with a repair, let me know. I am just south of DC and have most of the tools we would need. I am sure we can get you taken care of.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Coming Back