XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Transmission fluid & pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Transmission fluid & pan

Hi all,

Im planning to change my ATF fluid and pan (well, my independent shop will do it). Got the following parts suggested to me by a Jaguar parts department for my 2010 XJL s/c.

Pan: C2C38963
Sleeve: C2C39599
ATF fluid: JDE26444

The Jaguar pan is “on sale” for $260 on their website, but I see an OEM style one on SNG Barratt for ~$90. Anyone used this one before?

Also can someone please help me confirm whether the fluid is correct? When I google this catalog number, it is for ZF Lifegaurd 8. The dealer said my transmission part number is C2D10566 (I think that’s the ZF6HP28, but not positive). Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Nick

Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 AM
Default Shouldn’t it be Zf lifeguard 6?

Apologies for following my own post, but shouldn’t the ATF fluid be the Lifeguard 6 (part# C2C8432)? It seems like that was made for the 6-speed transmissions.

Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Nedoerr, I am inquiring why you are changing your pan? It is my understanding that the pan has a drain plug. I am only asking as I would hate to see you buy parts that you don't need to.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Nedoerr, I am inquiring why you are changing your pan? It is my understanding that the pan has a drain plug. I am only asking as I would hate to see you buy parts that you don't need to.
Apparently there is an integrated filter attached to the pan. So to change the filter you must change the whole pan.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Nedoerr, what I find interesting is atleast for my year car, they mention nothing about changing out the filter. Is it a bad idea, probably not. But, most cars these days are built such that if you are getting particles into the filter of the tranny, your tranny is toast and will need a rebuild. Hence why they are getting away from making people change the filters. Besides, the "filters" on a tranny filter are a just a wire mesh and if you are thinking that it is going to stop the fine "dust" of the wearing bands, that will not be the case. The "filter" media that I have seen on other vehicles pretty much amounts to something similar to the screen that you have on your windows (a little finer though). But, I can understand why you may want to change it out. Just giving you information and letting you make your own decision.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Feelergaugephil (10-06-2021), Nedoerr (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Nedoerr, Good timing as I had just scheduled a transmission service at my dealer on Tuesday for next Wednesday. Had the parts department give me a quote for the parts and fluid. As my XJ is the 8 speed the parts are the same as you were recommended: So you might confirm that they are the same as you have a 6 speed trans.
Pan-sump: C2C38963 $ 248.20
Sleeve: C2C39599 $9.95
ATF fluid: JDE26444 $56.10/liter 7qt $392.70
I will be using the hard parts from the dealer, but purchased 7qt of ZF Fluid Guard 8 on Amazon for $165.32 or $23.62/qt.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XNQSMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XNQSMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My tech at the dealer said it would be 2 to 3 hours labor.
BTW I have 95,600 miles on my XJ that I ordered new.

Last edited by XJsss; 03-22-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Interesting!
So the 8 speed ZF still has the failing sleeve?
This was a well known problem for the 6 speed ZF.
I would have thought with the released updated sealing sleeve that the newer cars would not require it.
Is yours leaking?

Yes both the 6sp and 8sp have plastic pans with integrated filters.
Now if you want there are replacement metal pans as other applications use them. At least for the 6 speed I have not checked for the 8 speed.
It's a very common transmission used by dozens of car companies. With Ford making there own under license from ZF.
As far as I have seen all the fords still use a metal pan.

This place has all the parts and is very knowledgeable about ZF's. That's all they do.
I get my parts and fluid from them.

ZF Parts

Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

clubairth1 wish I had that link before i ordered my fluid, thanks.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

No problem! I came from a 2005 S Type R so had the transmission serviced and went thru all the sealed for life stuff first.
This link was posted by someone else on the S Type forum. I got the entire kit and fluid for the best price anywhere.

The 6 speed had another problem with under sized pan bolts. ZF released a version with a larger head as a service part.
It was easy to strip out the Torx socket heads but since you were replacing the plastic pan anyway you could just tear the plastic away and use vice grips on the stubs.
Painful but it worked.

So on the 6 speed you needed to change the pan bolts out along with the new plastic pan/filter combo. Plus the electrical sealing sleeve which can only be changed when the transmission pan is dropped.

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:20 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. My pan isn’t failing as far as I know, but sounded like everyone replaces the pan/ filter when they do this job. Interesting comment from Thermo that this may not be necessary. I’ll order the part this time so I can see what the status of my pan/filter/sleeve is. But will probably avoid this in the future.

I contacted SNG Barratt and they confirmed their pan is identical (made by the original equipment manufacturer) to the Jaguar one, just doesn’t come in a Jaguar box. So I ordered it. I also confirmed that the fluid recommended to me initially was incorrect. I needed zf lifeguard 6. Fortunately SNG also sells this for ~$24/L (I bought 7L) and the sleeve. All together, with shipping and tax, parts were $315. Parts should arrive mid next week (3-day shipping).

My independent shop is quoting me 2 hours too. They will do the work end of next week. Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Interesting!
So the 8 speed ZF still has the failing sleeve?
This was a well known problem for the 6 speed ZF.
I would have thought with the released updated sealing sleeve that the newer cars would not require it.
Is yours leaking?

Yes both the 6sp and 8sp have plastic pans with integrated filters.
Now if you want there are replacement metal pans as other applications use them. At least for the 6 speed I have not checked for the 8 speed.
It's a very common transmission used by dozens of car companies. With Ford making there own under license from ZF.
As far as I have seen all the fords still use a metal pan.

This place has all the parts and is very knowledgeable about ZF's. That's all they do.
I get my parts and fluid from them.

ZF Parts
Thanks for your post. I don't see a metal version of my pan on their website, but I am a bit of a luddite so may have missed it. Are the metal pans more reliable? Unfortunately I already bought a plastic one, so will use this one this time.

Incidentally, for the current ZF plastic one, it appears SNG Barratt is $22 cheaper and they suggest it is indeed the ZF part.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

No need for the metal pan but when we first had talked about this years ago on the S Type forums there was a lot of complaining about the plastic pan and if it would hold up or not.
So people got looking and found a metal version. I kind of thought this too when I first saw the plastic pan but I ran my old STR to 132K miles with it and no problems.

So don't worry about it I just wanted to put all the options I knew about out there.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you thought about pulling the transmission cooler line to get all the fluid? I dont think you get it all just dropping the pan?

I'm asking cause I am about to do the same thing. On my Equinox (i just did transmission) you pull the return cooler line from the transmission cooler. I basically ran a tube into that line and started the car. Let about a quart out and add a quart to the tranny. I did this till I got clean fluid running out of the transmission cooler. I don't know if anyone has done this or if you just drop the pan.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

What seems to be missing from this discussion is the mileage on the car. ZF says at 75,000 miles. I did that with my JR and is running happily. The KR has a long way to go.

Nedoerr (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:34 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I thought the ZF 6 Speed recommendation was 8 year/80k. I just did my XK and plan on waiting a bit for the XJ.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by SickRob
What seems to be missing from this discussion is the mileage on the car. ZF says at 75,000 miles. I did that with my JR and is running happily. The KR has a long way to go.
Thanks for the post. Didn't think to check the ZF recommendations. My car has 82,000 miles on it. My mileage is in my signature line, but for some reason signatures don't show up on the mobile website. Thanks again.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Several problems with a flush.

Never sure exactly how it was done or how much fluid was changed.
No filter change so this is a no go for me. I never change any fluid that has a replaceable filter without also doing the filter. Plus I want to check the pan/filter for junk and clean the magnet in the pan as well. Note the magnet will be covered in a very fine black goo. This is powdered steel from transmission wear. Completely normal.
Finally you really should replace the electrical sealing sleeve. They just about all leak, they are cheap (About $15) and you can't change that item without dropping the pan anyway.

So a flush is quick and easy for the shop (no parts or skill because it's all the same for every car). It's not the best for the consumer. If you change the fluid several times you can get a more complete fluid change.

Another item to inspect are the cooler lines as the crimped steel connections to the rubber hoses sometimes will weep/seep. Jaguar's solution is complete replacement of the lines. This is NOT an easy job. So repairing the crimped connection can be done several ways.

Yes the ZF recommendations have changed as in the beginning they were pushing lifetime too. I was not aware of exactly what mileage was recommended. On the S Type form we seemed to find somewhere in the 60-85K miles range was reasonable.

Just a tip if you are running the 6 speed ZF. Mercon SP has been widely proven as a substitute for the magic juice Lifeguard fluid. Have not heard any suggestions for the 8 speed unit yet. Many on the S Forum have been running the Mercon SP with good results.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Just wanted to post this info about a nice cast Aluminum pan for the ZF 8 Speed transmission. They now have replaceable transmission filters too. The ZF 8 speed is used on a huge number of cars and trucks so the after market has really jumped in. Especially since the Hellcats all use the 8 speed automatic. The diesels also got it so many more out there. All 8HP transmission share the same pan and filter regardless if they are attached to a 6 or 8 cylinder or a gas or diesel engine.

Aftermarket Al. pan adds 2 additional quarts of fluid to the system.
ZF 8 Speed Al. Pan

Dorman makes just the filter and gasket kit if you go to a metal pan. There are other suppliers too.
Filter and Gasket

Don't think I will bother to change from the plastic pan and integrated filter but nice to see all the options out there. I am at 50K miles so not really ready for a change yet but since I race it occasionally I do plan on an early transmission service. Hoping someone will figure out if there is a cheaper/easier to get fluid other than Lifeguard 8 too. I have found nothing yet.

XJ8JR (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up, Club. I may look into this sometime next year.

For what its worth, I've been running Redline D6 fluid for 2 years and almost 20k miles with zero issues.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Good to know and I have been a fan of Redline for a long time too.