XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Warning Sound Upon Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:21 AM
VRB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Sound Upon Start

Hi,

As soon as I start my 2013 XJ's engine, there is a one-off warning ding sound. It has been like this since the day one. Is it normal? Any way to turn it off?

Old 05-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,847 Likes on 3,163 Posts

VRB, I am assuming you are talking about the seat belt minder chime that sounds. If you are looking to disable that, let me know. I stumbled upon the method to de-activate that. It will still light the light on the dash for the first 20 seconds or so of driving, but then the light will go out too. If it is another chime, then I would be seeing what the chime is for and going from there. You can prove the seat belt chime by simply doing up the seatbelt and then sitting in the seat. If the chime doesn't happen, then it confirms the noise you are hearing is the seat belt chime.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:54 PM
VRB

Thanks.

It is not the seatbelt warning (although the sound is the same). It sounds only once each time I start the engine, while the seatbelt reminder produces 5 chimes.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

By chance is your right most dial in the instrument cluster showing that you are due for service right after you start the engine? I would have to do some more looking at my car to see what a single chime might be caused by.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:06 PM
VRB

No -- no warnings, no errors, no messages; just the sound.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,195 Likes on 3,407 Posts

That single ding is normal and tells you that you just turned your ignition on, even if you haven't started the engine. It's a reminder to either start the engine by stepping on the brake pedal or turn the ignition off by pressing the START button again. If you don't, your battery will run down and cause all sorts of electrical gremlins including not being able to start your engine. When switched "on" (and not starting the engine), all the electronics are activated and those computers will deplete the battery in a short time since the alternator is not running when the engine is off.

Try this: Sit in the driver's seat, keep your foot off the brake pedal, fasten your seat belt, and press the START button WITHOUT stepping on the brake pedal. You will hear it ding once. If you tap the brake pedal shortly after you press the START button, the engine will start.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
VRB, I am assuming you are talking about the seat belt minder chime that sounds. If you are looking to disable that, let me know. I stumbled upon the method to de-activate that. It will still light the light on the dash for the first 20 seconds or so of driving, but then the light will go out too. If it is another chime, then I would be seeing what the chime is for and going from there. You can prove the seat belt chime by simply doing up the seatbelt and then sitting in the seat. If the chime doesn't happen, then it confirms the noise you are hearing is the seat belt chime.

How do you disable the seatbelt chime?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

NorcalJag, you are going to love this. What you need to do is to get into your car and put on the seat belt. Now, start the car and wait for the seatbelt light to go out. Once you get the light to go out, unbuckle the seatbelt and wait for the light to come on. Now, buckle the seat belt again and let the light go out. Repeat for 8 cycles (might be more). Upon undoing the seat belt, you will see the seat belt light flash at you. Tada, you are done. The big thing is you need to be fairly on top of things as you only have a finite amount of time to get it done (like 15 seconds). It isn't necessarily hard, but you need to be paying attention.

If you ever want to re-enable the chime, you simply repeat the process and it will turn the belt minder back on.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thermo
NorcalJag, you are going to love this. What you need to do is to get into your car and put on the seat belt. Now, start the car and wait for the seatbelt light to go out. Once you get the light to go out, unbuckle the seatbelt and wait for the light to come on. Now, buckle the seat belt again and let the light go out. Repeat for 8 cycles (might be more). Upon undoing the seat belt, you will see the seat belt light flash at you. Tada, you are done. The big thing is you need to be fairly on top of things as you only have a finite amount of time to get it done (like 15 seconds). It isn't necessarily hard, but you need to be paying attention.

If you ever want to re-enable the chime, you simply repeat the process and it will turn the belt minder back on.
Worked like a charm..Thanks