XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

reviving a 96 v12 that's been sitting - what fluids etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts
Default reviving a 96 v12 that's been sitting - what fluids etc?

Hello all

I am looking for a 95 or 96 xj12 and have found a couple so far.

What oil, coolant and other flushes and refreshers do you recommend? I'm assuming I will have to travel (and maybe trailer) to pick one up but was going to try and prepare by being ready with common consumables these engine go through...

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-28-2018, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Hmmm, sitting Jaguars is something I am familiar with. Sitting a short period of time (over the winter) not much of an issue. Sitting longer can be problematic bringing out of storage.

Any system that holds liquid needs to be addressed. Fuel, fuel filter, brakes, power steering, transmission, transmission filter, oil, oil filter. Flush and change out all of them. Open up air boxes BEFORE starting to insure no mice present. Most likely you will want to have the rotors turned unless stored inside on concrete.

I have a '96 XJ12, 89,000 miles ready to go that I have been showing at local shows. Not currently listed anywhere but soon will be. I spect Wisconsin is a bit of a stretch though to travel for most from the west coast.

Attached Thumbnails reviving a 96 v12 that's been sitting - what fluids etc?-100_1962.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
olivermarks (02-28-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts
olivermarks (03-04-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
I have a '96 XJ12, 89,000 miles ready to go that I have been showing at local shows. Not currently listed anywhere but soon will be. I spect Wisconsin is a bit of a stretch though to travel for most from the west coast.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'd be interested in your XJ12. Please PM me!

Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not an expert , I just play one one the internet . I seam to have run across some hints that the V12 is fical in the department of engine cooling and would be prudent to ensure it is up to par before a first time owner takes it out . I'm sure it is an issue in the E - type series 3 related to radiator size . Is the engine coolant temp gauge a fully functional gauge in the XJ12 and the XJS or a " stepped " hard to tell gauge that you don't have the specific temp so you are confident where your actual temp is at ? And if not there is a ELM327 device you can plug into the OBD 2 port to watch on your celphone as you drive and see real ECU data . $ 12 Ebay .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-02-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

The V12 also has a "dummy" gauge. Cooling system maintenance is a very early priority in new ownership. Once it is buttoned up properly, it is durable, at least in the X305.

The red "coolant low" warning on the right side of the cluster is your friend. Especially in the X305. If that light comes on, you get off the road and shut down immediately, even if the temp gauge reads normal (which it probably will). The coolant low warning is your first sign of trouble. A leak in the system could leave the temp sensor high and dry as the heads begin to fry. Scary thought isn't it.

Mr. Marks, don't go too cheap. It isn't advisable to buy a non-runner when there are still some decent XJ12s out there.

olivermarks (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MSSPT
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'd be interested in your XJ12. Please PM me!
Unable to PM indicates not allowed to receive. Maybe because of being new to the forum?? PM me and then I can respond. Might be a slight delay in my response as we are currently out of town fishing will be back in a couple days.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Unable to PM indicates not allowed to receive. Maybe because of being new to the forum?? PM me and then I can respond. Might be a slight delay in my response as we are currently out of town fishing will be back in a couple days.
You're right. The FAQ's state that I must be active for 3 days and have a minimum post quantity of 10 before I can PM. I don't have a means to contact and admin and ask for that to be altered.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

If you want piece of mind on the cooling fans and it's control the coolant temp switch other then coolant temp sensor is on the lower left aft side of the radiator . The 3 wire connector can be jumpered with one white wire to black and then test the other white wire to black . It is a low power control switch so a paper clip would work . One test will give 1 fan and the other both fans . You can remove and heat up the switch and watch it respond . Salt in water brings the boiling temp above 100 c . If you don't have the Wiring guide then it is linked below

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1996.pdf......see page 66

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-03-2018 at 10:31 PM.
olivermarks (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

You're right. The FAQ's state that I must be active for 3 days and have a minimum post quantity of 10 before I can PM. I don't have a means to contact and admin and ask for that to be altered.
MSSPT, here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

The admins and coordinators will greet you and possibly upgrade your abilities very quickly.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
MSSPT, here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

The admins and coordinators will greet you and possibly upgrade your abilities very quickly.
Good deal, thanks. I submitted an intro thread.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
The V12 also has a "dummy" gauge. Cooling system maintenance is a very early priority in new ownership. Once it is buttoned up properly, it is durable, at least in the X305.

The red "coolant low" warning on the right side of the cluster is your friend. Especially in the X305. If that light comes on, you get off the road and shut down immediately, even if the temp gauge reads normal (which it probably will). The coolant low warning is your first sign of trouble. A leak in the system could leave the temp sensor high and dry as the heads begin to fry. Scary thought isn't it.

Mr. Marks, don't go too cheap. It isn't advisable to buy a non-runner when there are still some decent XJ12s out there.
Thanks for this. I'm v familiar with not overheating the straight sixes but hadn't thought through the implications with a late/last model V12...

I'm looking for a driver and may well pick up somewhere in US and attempt to drive back to West Coast after some fettling, fluid changing etc. Be good to see how it runs before starting the transplant...

Old 03-04-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
If you want piece of mind on the cooling fans and it's control the coolant temp switch other then coolant temp sensor is on the lower left aft side of the radiator . The 3 wire connector can be jumpered with one white wire to black and then test the other white wire to black . It is a low power control switch so a paper clip would work . One test will give 1 fan and the other both fans . You can remove and heat up the switch and watch it respond . Salt in water brings the boiling temp above 100 c . If you don't have the Wiring guide then it is linked below

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1996.pdf......see page 66

Thanks!!!

Old 03-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Might think in terms of going ahead and changing the thermostat so you have that out of the equation if you were to see the temp out of range or take one as a spare . There is a specific antifreeze commonly available to replace with in the TSB and I don't believe they mix so you would have to flush out the old unknown fluid . The transmission is not the same used on the common X300 and is a GM 4 L80E and is sensitive on fluid level as it interacts with the engine so there is a sensitive procedure to get it right involving getting a temp with a infrared thermometer on the trans pan . Some one adds some degrees to the reading to be more accurate . There are 2 fuel pumps on the XJ12 and they can be hotwired on bypassing the control circuit if that is an issue .

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...%2Cf&q=infared

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7ckb9edafc7cgd/4L80E.pdf......Manual

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-05-2018 at 11:08 AM.
olivermarks (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Very useful, thanks.

Assuming a roadtrip without trailer and a drive back is in my future, I was going to pack tools I can take on the plane and spares... belts, thermostat, buy the fluids locally, any other consumables that might be compromised...

Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM

PM and email sent. I'll be done high jacking OP's thread now!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 AM

My PM is up now. I sent you a PM and an email. Please PM me when you get a chance.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

My PM is up now. I sent you a PM and an email. Please PM me when you get a chance.
Pm sent will look for email and forward photo's. Going fishing again today so will respond when I get back this evening.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:21 AM

I've been discussing a 95 car on ebay with owner, who's asking 2k. It runs but apparently 'is missing a left thermostat housing at the moment'. It's a bit of a crapshoot but could be good parts car/ engine drivetrain rebuild candidate for my XJC project.

Are thermostat housings hard to come by/expensive? I try never to darken the dealerships' door if I can help it...

Old 05-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Test for head gasket leak as there was a reason why he tinkered with the thermostat

Ric in RVA has a overheater 95 V12 he might part ways with the housing

Quick Reply: reviving a 96 v12 that's been sitting - what fluids etc?