XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

$149 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default $149 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+

I saw an announcement on a TV show filmed at the Detroit Auto Show about a new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ available in March for $149! Wow, just what I needed! However going to the Michelin web site and reading the glowing description:

DETROIT, Jan. 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Today at the North American International Auto Show, Michelin introduced the latest innovation from its Pilot Family of performance tires: the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport All-Season 3+™. The MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S3+ delivers true all-season performance and incredible wet and dry braking. This latest addition to the MICHELIN Pilot Family is an evolution of the MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S 3, transferring the best of high-performance racing technology into a street tire made for the roads and highways of North America. The MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S3+ tire is designed, engineered and manufactured in North America. It will launch in March and eventually be available in 90 sizes, ranging from 175/65/R15 to 285/35/ZR20 with fitments for vehicles such as the Corvette, BMW M3, Audi A5 and Ford Mustang, among others. Michelin will offer a limited 45,000-mile warranty and the product will start with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $149. The MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S3+ tire is backed by the Michelin Promise Plan™, a comprehensive tire service package for MICHELIN replacement tire owners.

And then entering my car info, I find that the price for me is not $149 each, but $329 each, so I guess it will be a pair of $226 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires from Tire Rack after all.

Last edited by philwarner; 02-03-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

Yeah, the $149 price is for the tires that fit your lawn mower prolly.....

Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

... ranging from 175/65/R15

What does that fit?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

....dude...stay away from the P7's....not a quality tire. You are better off taking those balloons that clowns use to make figures with and wrapping it around your wheels.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

....dude...stay away from the P7's....not a quality tire. You are better off taking those balloons that clowns use to make figures with and wrapping it around your wheels. I just resigned myself to the fact that my XFs going to be eating two rear tires once a year. That will let me swap the fronts to the rears every year. Hopefully keeps my yearly tire cost to around $600

Old 02-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

....dude...stay away from the P7's....not a quality tire. You are better off taking those balloons that clowns use to make figures with and wrapping it around your wheels. I just resigned myself to the fact that my XFs going to be eating two rear tires once a year. I am going to go with the Michellin PS that I have on my Xtype. Awesome tire. Very good grip. I plan to swap the fronts to the rear every year. Hopefully keeps my yearly tire cost to around $600

Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
....dude...stay away from the P7's....not a quality tire. You are better off taking those balloons that clowns use to make figures with and wrapping it around your wheels. I just resigned myself to the fact that my XFs going to be eating two rear tires once a year. I am going to go with the Michellin PS that I have on my Xtype. Awesome tire. Very good grip. I plan to swap the fronts to the rear every year. Hopefully keeps my yearly tire cost to around $600
Interesting! I have two half worn Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on the rear now and an older mixed bag on the front, all of which came with the car. I had intended to go with the same Michelins as replacement for the front tires until I read a number of good reports on the Pirellis here in the jaguarforum. There were opinions on both sides, of course, but many of those on the Pirelli side were from experience on X350s specifically and they indicated it was a quiet, nice riding, long wearing alternative to Michelins on our cars. None of the Pirelli reviews on the TireRack site were on a 350 so I gave more weight to the forum contributors experience.

If there was a siginificant price drop I'd stick with Michelins just to have a matching set, but given no price drop I plan to put the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season Plus tires on the front when these get down to change depth and then buy another pair of Pirellis for the rear when the Michelins wear out (which by all reports won't be all that long).

Anyone want to chime in here?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

I had four P7's and all four had sidewall issues. Granted. They did have a quite ride. I drove freeway miles almost exclusively. The tires cant take a pothole without developing bubbles on the sidewalls or the sidewall just blows out at freeway speeds. Does not inspire confidence in ever giving them another try. just my experience with the P7's and btw...four new P7's at a cost of $1159...all four blew sidewalls either from potholes or from low sidewall integrity at freeway speed. I bought warranties on all four but rather than keep having issues i swithced to the Michellin PS's. no issues from those

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I had four P7's and all four had sidewall issues. Granted. They did have a quite ride. I drove freeway miles almost exclusively. The tires cant take a pothole without developing bubbles on the sidewalls or the sidewall just blows out at freeway speeds. Does not inspire confidence in ever giving them another try. just my experience with the P7's and btw...four new P7's at a cost of $1159...all four blew sidewalls either from potholes or from low sidewall integrity at freeway speed. I bought warranties on all four but rather than keep having issues i swithced to the Michellin PS's. no issues from those
Thanks, What size were your wheels and were these on the XJ8? Our SV8 has 20 inch wheels so sidewall integrity is a concern for both comfort and security.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's on my Portfolio.
Size is 255/40 R20 (so rubber is half an inch taller): smoother ride, no pothole issues

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by paydase
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's on my Portfolio.
Size is 255/40 R20 (so rubber is half an inch taller): smoother ride, no pothole issues
Oops, I Mis-wrote. My wheels are 19 inch not 20; don't know what I was thinking.

It is hard to judge my 255/40-19 Michelin PS A/S3s on the rear with the older mixed tires on the front and although the SV8 tracks extremely well, it is not as smooth a ride as an XJ6 with 15 inch wheels with lots of side wall.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am looking to get all season tires. The Yoko Advan v105s summer currently on my car prevent me from driving in cold days. No traction at all. I didn't buy my car to be a summer only car, so the summer tires are out.

I am leaning towards BF g-Force COMP-2 A/S. They show very high ratings on tirerack.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Here and other reports I've read, all say that they are putting the older tires on the rear, where the manufacture's all say to put the new tires on the rear, where you have no control if something blows.
I know it's been done for ages, but rethinking your decisions might be in order. New tires in the rear, older, less thread on the front.
I'll go with what the manufactures recommend. Might make a difference to the insurance company's....
Just a thought--------cheers

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Quoted price---

Just like in all the Sear's newspaper ad's. The price seen is always for the smallest tires--which they may or may not even have.

Cheers......