XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

05 XJR not blowing ANY heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 05 XJR not blowing ANY heat

Howdy ya'll!
With these last couple storms in Norfolk, it's been surprisingly tough to dive the Jag due to the temp, and not the roads (and other drivers).

I guess I should start out with explaining what my problem is. I do not seem to get any heat from the heater or defroster..

With that being said, explaining what happened over the summer seems to be the next logical choice. I discovered a coolant leak and it became evident that I had a small split in one of the ends of one of the hoses that go up into the supercharger manifold. I was able to remedy that leak a month, or so, after I found it. Trying to reproduce the leak in the driveway to locate it was the hardest part and took me the longest as it would not show itself while I was under the hood.

But, during that time I ran low on coolant several times and ensured that I refilled it every opportunity I got, which was every time, and then got it put back together and talk back off and have had no more issues. In an effort to troubleshoot the issue when it first started, I disconnected the battery and held the positive and negative together for 10+ seconds and then left the negative disconnected for the overnight. With the computer reset, I had to log back in with the JLR program and change a couple of settings back, but that was not a big deal. The cooling part of the air conditioning still worked fine and in the HOT Virginia Beach summer, that's what I was looking for then.

Over the course of this winter, I have had the experience of very very very little heat even after the car running at idle for 20 minutes and then driving to work for 30 minutes. It is, literally, blowing cold air when I have the temperature set at a regular temperature up to its highest setting. When I turn the air conditioner on for the defrost of the windshield or when I turn the air conditioning off and just try to use the engine coolant as the heat, I am still receiving cold air.

When the heater core went out in my other vehicle, I was able to see the telltale signs of a bit of smoke from the vents and the unmistakable odor of coolant from the vents. I am not noticing that at all with the Jag.

I have a feeling that it is something simple that I am just not familiar with. As this is my second winter with this cat, I had no issues with heat last winter and the coolant issue this summer have been my only issues. I have ensured that I have a proper mixture of coolant going through the engine and radiator but, I still do not know why it is blowing cold air. When the temperature gauge reads 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I find it better to not turn the heat on at all as it feels as though it is blowing colder than what is on the outside.

What should I look for and what do I do? I am not able to determine any Solutions from the searches and other topics that I've read throughout this forum as my issue is not as similar as I had hoped I would find. Thank you and I appreciate everyone's help!

R,
Rags

Old 02-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Blockage of the heater matrix has been reported many times on this forum. There is no leak, it is just blocked-up, and flushing it doesn't usually clear the blockage, only a new matrix cures it. Normally only one side is affected, but I can't remember which side. Any heat on the passenger side ? Other thing on these cars is there is an auxiliary coolant pump. If this fails the coolant may not circulate through the heater.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM

Thanks!!!

No heat anywhere... I don't suspect another leak. I'm not low on coolant anytime I've checked since I repaired the last one. I've got more research to do...

Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by ragman1171
Thanks!!!

No heat anywhere... I don't suspect another leak. I'm not low on coolant anytime I've checked since I repaired the last one. I've got more research to do...
Check for aux water pump operation...

ragman1171 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 06:41 PM

The new Aux Water Pump came in. It was 60 degrees and sunny when I got home so I was able to get it done with the least pain. My 12 yr old held held the umbrella as the sun was directly my left eye and trying to see in the engine with the sun blazing in your eye isn't as easy as it sounds. I got it all back in and lifted the front end, topped it off a couple times after cycling it and then got her up to temp, went for a ride and, wouldn't you know it, the R side was hot air and the L was cold air.... it eventually evened out, and I hope that stays, but, so far so good. The local shop had it overnight for $131 (new). Now, I have a used one from eBay that'll be here in a couple days that'll be in the classifieds soon. LOL Thanks to all for the help!!!!

R,
Rags

abonano (02-16-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

I found as others have that its the driver side that loses hot air if the heater core is blocked.
When I changed mine out following instructions in the manual (firstly you don't need to remove anything in the engine compartment!), I poured hot water into the old heater core after removal and found it held approx 700 ml of water.

I filled the new one with hot water and it held approx 750 ml ( if I remember rightly). Showing a significant gloop blockage in the old one.

Some one actually cut a heater core on half and it clearly shows the gloop congregated on the driver side of the core as it sits slightly angled in the heater blower compartment.

I now have a habit of using the heater on full hot air to ensure I am not getting the blockage every couple of weeks.

meirion1 (02-18-2016)