XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2 Trans fluid changes - still squawking! Who sells the additive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I use the Astron RM50. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is more that sufficient to get the job done for a DIYer.

I don't want to spook you but a 10 amp may not cut it. I started off using my Shumacher and almost bricked a module. I feel your pain and know they're pricey but so is a bricked TCM.

+1 on Don's comment of keeping the laptop on a power supply too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Don B (03-21-2018), stham (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

Completely agreed Sean, definitely dont want a XJR boat anchor on my hands.

Do you know which schumacher you had and the specs? I was looking for a while until I saw the manual (not automatic trickle) 10 amp version for sale..

I guess Ill do some testing with the schumacher before i hook up the SDD. If the voltage doesnt drop with ignition on II, then i should be ok...

Last edited by stham; 03-21-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stham
Completely agreed Sean, definitely dont want a XJR boat anchor on my hands.

Do you know which schumacher you had and the specs? I was looking for a while until I saw the manual (not automatic trickle) 10 amp version for sale..

I guess Ill do some testing with the schumacher before i hook up the SDD. If the voltage doesnt drop with ignition on II, then i should be ok...
Here's a link to the thread the educated me. See post 26 warning against using a regular battery charger.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-172531/page2/

I think you'll get by fine with an Astron ss-30 or the RM 50. You want low noise and 13.4 VDC.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
AD2014 (04-20-2018), Don B (03-27-2018), stham (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM

That was a great read. Thanks for linking me to that. I was wondering if a thread like that was around here.

I went ahead and returned my Schumacher and found an Astron SS-30M on ebay for 75$

Sean, I appreciate you sharing your experience. it appears you went through the same process as I am currently going through

Old 03-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Outstanding. You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:27 AM

After scouring the web, sending numerous emails, and making a dozen phone calls I found one of the last remaining bottles of additive in the US

I also received my Astron power supply and bought some 10 gauge wire w/ clips

Im ready to start tinkering and doing some ECM/TCM re-flashes

The following 2 users liked this post by stham:
Don B (03-29-2018), Sean W (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

As the newer fluid has the additive in it and Jaguar warns to only use it once, I recommend flashing the TCM first.

You have power supply. Others can tell you ETA on duration to flash. Just keep an eye on the voltage symbol in SDD.

Might be a good idea to charge the battery overnight until you have a resting voltage of 12.5 volts before starting.

I would add the additive as a last resort personally.

Good luck. Watching this thread with interest.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-29-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
As the newer fluid has the additive in it and Jaguar warns to only use it once, I recommend flashing the TCM first.

You have power supply. Others can tell you ETA on duration to flash. Just keep an eye on the voltage symbol in SDD.

Might be a good idea to charge the battery overnight until you have a resting voltage of 12.5 volts before starting.

I would add the additive as a last resort personally.

Good luck. Watching this thread with interest.
Sean, I really do not believe the new fluid has this additive in it. I did learn that in 2006, ZF changed the clutch pack material, thus solving the noise issue and not requiring the additive any longer.

The squawk noise I have has literally not improved whatsoever since the 2 fluid changes i did. If anything the noise was worse after the 2nd change

Stay tuned for more

Don B (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sounds like something is worn. If so, additives won't fix it.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Update

Ive put the additive in the trans successfully. The trans was reflashed, but now I have dtc P0610 - wrong calibration

As it was flashing, the SDD said the calibration file was for an for an NA 4.2 ZF. not sure why it thinks my car is NA?
There was another thread where someone had this exact issue, I'm not sure how to resolve this..

Old 04-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Update

Ive put the additive in the trans successfully. The trans was reflashed, but now I have dtc P0610 - wrong calibration

As it was flashing, the SDD said the calibration file was for an for an NA 4.2 ZF. not sure why it thinks my car is NA?
There was another thread where someone had this exact issue, I'm not sure how to resolve this..
A few items on this as I have flashed my fair share of TCM's and PCM's

One, your asking for trouble with a clone Mangoose unit regardless if the software is legit. They are built with inferior components and odds are you can still brick a module, which brings me to my second point.

Not sure if 30A is suitable to keep enough juice going while flashing modules. I use a 100A power supply and dial in voltage to 13.6V. Probably overkill but I never want to chance something going wrong, especially when working on someone else's car.

I use SDD and a genuine VCM - I never recall reflashing taking longer than 15 to 20 minutes.

Final point. Software should've picked up the right programming for your XJR. NA and SC are different programs for sure. I would try reflashing it again or you might have to program new module but again... proceed with caution knowing that mongoose is a clone... good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
AD2014 (04-20-2018), Don B (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:36 PM

I dont have any issues flashing,
It just seems my SDD thinks I have a different car for some reason. Im really stumped as to why. Ive no idea how I can flash the correct calibration files to my car..

Old 04-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

I dont have any issues flashing,
It just seems my SDD thinks I have a different car for some reason. Im really stumped as to why. Ive no idea how I can flash the correct calibration files to my car..
Hi stham,

First of all, when SDD completes its data collection, does it show any critical modules such as the ECM, TCM or IP with a red X mark, indicating SDD cannot communicate with that module? If so, you will need to figure out why.

If all your necessary modules are communicating, a couple of things you can try:

Start SDD and if you get the option to resume a previous session or start a new session, choose start a new one. After SDD completes data collection, click on the Campaigns icon. The small window appears on the left of the screen with several icons, one of which is a key. Just to the right of the key may be a green symbol that looks like a Fast Reverse key on a tape recorder. Click that icon to reinstate the vehicle's initial data. Then click on Campaigns again, the Recommendations, then select the option to configure a new or existing TCM and try the recalibration sequence again.

If that doesn't seem to work, try starting SDD with your interface cable disconnected from the car. Enter your VIN manually instead of having SDD read it from the vehicle. Start a new session rather than resuming a previous one. Once SDD identifies the vehicle, accept its identification. Now, attach your interface cable and click to allow SDD to complete data collection. Click the green icon to reinstate the vehicle's initial data, click Campaigns, Recommendations, and try to recalibrate the TCM again.

As the TSB at the link below states, the most common problem when flashing is low battery voltage, so if you can borrow or rent a more powerful charger/maintainer that may be a good idea.

Jaguar TSB 1-186 Using WDS to Program/Configure Control Modules

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-07-2018 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (04-20-2018), stham (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:38 PM

Don,
Thank you as always for the helpful and thought out reply.

I am presently reformatting the laptop and performing a fresh install. There were a few anomalies that I noticed yesterday (IE6 wasnt working correctly for example)
I was checking logs of SDD and one log said the X350 VIN index could not be found,
I found the directory where they are all kept and sure enough I didnt see an X350 index there. Needless to say, I think a fresh start will be needed.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yep the indexes and the packages are both missing. I think you're on the right path. Respectfully I disagree with others who say you don't have an adequate power supply so I would be less concerned with that. Did your battery indicator turn yellow during the flash? As long as it's providing 13.5 vdc you're fine.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Respectfully I disagree with others who say you don't have an adequate power supply so I would be less concerned with that. Did your battery indicator turn yellow during the flash? As long as it's providing 13.5 vdc you're fine.
Sean's comments prompted me to re-read the TSB regarding the "Mandatory Use of the Midtronics PSC-550" that I linked to earlier, and a few paragraphs seem relevant, particularly in terms of high-voltage and electrical noise:

Jaguar requires the use of the Midtronics PSC-550 / PSC-550S Vehicle Power Supply as an external power
source anytime IDS is connected to a vehicle, especially when conducting module programming. The Midtronics PSC550 power supply unit is not designed to recharge low batteries. If the vehicle battery is low, the battery must be recharged to the approved level as specified in the Jaguar Battery Care Manual.

It is also not advisable to connect or leave connected a battery charger of any brand / model to the vehicle during module programming. Under these circumstances, the output of the battery charger may be too high and create electrical noise on the vehicle electrical system which is known to create communications issues between IDS and the vehicle in some cases.

'Smart' battery chargers, including the Midtronics GR1 unit
[a popular charger used by Jaguar and other new car dealers], may switch / modulate charging rates to re-condition a partially sulfated battery or to protect internal circuitry. Electrical surges created by many 'smart' battery chargers or poorly regulated transformers on inexpensive battery chargers can create voltage spikes and electrical noise of sufficient volume to interrupt module programming.

The TSB also hints at another issue besides voltage regulation and noise, which is current capacity. Ultimately, it is the power capacity (voltage times current) at low noise that matters. The TSB suggests that even 55 amps may not be sufficient unless all loads are turned off:

The voltage target with the PSC-550 connected and the 'Key On / Engine Off' should be 13.0 - 13.5 volts, even though IDS only inhibits module programming when voltage falls below 12.5 volts. The PSC-550 is designed to supply a constant 13.4 Volts at a maximum rate of 55 Amps. For this reason it is important to switch off all electrical consumers on the vehicle during module programming including headlamps, sidelights, fog lamps, radio, HVAC blower fans, wipers, and defrosters. These additional electrical loads may draw a higher amperage rate than the PSC-550 is designed to deliver, which will cause the voltage to DROP during IDS use.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-08-2018 at 07:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (04-20-2018), Sean W (04-08-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Great info guys,
My 30 amp Astron supply is up to the task just fine, not once did my battery voltage indicator change from green. All of my accessories are turned off for good measure.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Great info guys,
My 30 amp Astron supply is up to the task just fine, not once did my battery voltage indicator change from green. All of my accessories are turned off for good measure.
What do you know about electrical noise with the Astron, or voltage spikes caused by the charger switching charge rates to recondition a partially sulfated battery? Does the Astron manual give any specs on noise or charge-rate management?

I'm genuinely interested in knowing how these issues may affect module programming since we only have Jaguar's warnings to go on.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
What do you know about electrical noise with the Astron, or voltage spikes caused by the charger switching charge rates to recondition a partially sulfated battery? Does the Astron manual give any specs on noise or charge-rate management?
Sean W recommended the Astron SS-30 based on his experience sourcing a suitable power supply. Its rated at 30 amps. They are recommended for powering communication devices due to their low noise and stable voltage (13.8V with ripple less than 5mV peak to peak).

Don B (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Don. Here's my manual.

Ripple less than 5mv peak to peak (full load and low line) as I understand it, and I understand it very little

Check the link in Post #23. I followed the advice of others. Yet to have an issue but the longest SWDL I've had was an hour.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RM-50M Manual and Schematic.pdf (2.60 MB, 168 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
AD2014 (04-20-2018), Don B (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: 2 Trans fluid changes - still squawking! Who sells the additive?