XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

5.0 Engine Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 5.0 Engine Recall

Go to links below This does not mention the XJ, but this is the same engine the XJ has (2011), and I have experienced a stuttering engine. The dealer tried to use a software update to fix it. Now my car revs higher at start, and has a higer rev at idle, but I still notice the stuttering. Is it possible, given it's the same engine and presumably same year (this is 10/11), that this affects XJ's also? No one else seems to be reporting this issue with their XJ but me

This site won't let me post a link, so just go to google and search - xf recall auto blog - and the first hit should be a brief article on the recall.
You can also see the official recall notice at www.nhtsa.gov. Just have to search for recalls on the 2011 XK or 2010 XF.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Go to links below This does not mention the XJ, but this is the same engine the XJ has (2011), and I have experienced a stuttering engine. The dealer tried to use a software update to fix it. Now my car revs higher at start, and has a higer rev at idle, but I still notice the stuttering. Is it possible, given it's the same engine and presumably same year (this is 10/11), that this affects XJ's also? No one else seems to be reporting this issue with their XJ but me

This site won't let me post a link, so just go to google and search - xf recall auto blog - and the first hit should be a brief article on the recall.
You can also see the official recall notice at www.nhtsa.gov. Just have to search for recalls on the 2011 XK or 2010 XF.
It's not the same engine , XJ comes with AJ-133 Gen III , and XF comes with AJ133.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
pwl

It's the same engine according to everythign I see. Look at these descriptiosn below for each, pulled off the net:

XF: For 2010 model year, it included a 5.0-litre Supercharged AJ-V8 Gen III engine rated 470 PS (346 kW; 464 hp).
XJ: 5.0 litre V8 Petrol Supercharged 470PS AJ-V8 GEN III (364kW; 464hp).

Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by pwl
It's the same engine according to everythign I see. Look at these descriptiosn below for each, pulled off the net:

XF: For 2010 model year, it included a 5.0-litre Supercharged AJ-V8 Gen III engine rated 470 PS (346 kW; 464 hp).
XJ: 5.0 litre V8 Petrol Supercharged 470PS AJ-V8 GEN III (364kW; 464hp).
Look they may produce the same amount of power but those two engines are not identical, the 5 liter comes with XJs and XKs are Gen IIIs, early XFs came with the defective engines, so you are fine, stop worrying unless they put your car on the recalled cars list

Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by JagMaster
Look they may produce the same amount of power but those two engines are not identical, the 5 liter comes with XJs and XKs are Gen IIIs, early XFs came with the defective engines, so you are fine, stop worrying unless they put your car on the recalled cars list
Do you just make this stuff up? The GEN III refers to the fact that it is the third major evolution of the AJ-V8 so all the 5.0L engines are GEN III.

The early XF's actually had 4.2L engines not 5.0L.

If you read that recall it is nothing to do with the engine anyway. It is a fuel supply problem related to a non energised relay and it is for the 2010 on 5.0L XF and XK cars which Jaguar refer to all over their literature as having GEN III engines.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
Do you just make this stuff up? The GEN III refers to the fact that it is the third major evolution of the AJ-V8 so all the 5.0L engines are GEN III.

The early XF's actually had 4.2L engines not 5.0L.

If you read that recall it is nothing to do with the engine anyway. It is a fuel supply problem related to a non energised relay and it is for the 2010 on 5.0L XF and XK cars which Jaguar refer to all over their literature as having GEN III engines.
First of all when I said defective engine I didn't mean the whole engine is defective, what I was trying to tell him was even though both cars have 5 liter engines it doesn't mean his car has a defective engine, and for your information the very first 5 liter engine came with XF is not the same engine comes with XJs now they made a few slight changes and i dont make up things I spend most of my time at a jaguar dealer since my friend works there.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 PM
pwl

Listen guys, I'm am only saying....the recall notice describes a "symptom" that is identical to what the XJ has that I have now. Also, they "identify" the recalls by the "year" and "engine".

Also, it is not just the XF....it is the 2011 XK, which I am pretty sure is the same engine as the XJ (for the supercharged versions).

I suspect the XJ would not be included on the recall as the the 2010 XF and 2011 XK were avaialble for sale/lease considerably sooner than the XJ. I was one of the, if not the first XJ delivery in my area. Let's not forget these cars have only been available for 3 months. I suspect there have not been enough reports/complaints/etc. about XJ engine issues (fuel relays or not....remember, the symptom is a STALLING engine, the fuel relay is the cause apparently).

Also, the recall indicated a "software fix" would be avaiable by August 30, 2010. My dealer told me, they had a software fix that would solve my problem, but it would not be ready until the end of August. And they used it for mine (though not totally solved).

Without any expertise in cars, I am only deducing from emperical observations that maybe the issue I experienced is the same or similar to that in the XF/XK recall. As miguided as I may be, it is a least a reasonable assumption to make based on the fact.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by JagMaster
... and for your information the very first 5 liter engine came with XF is not the same engine comes with XJs now they made a few slight changes and i dont make up things I spend most of my time at a jaguar dealer since my friend works there.
I am sure a lot of us have good relationships with dealers. Mine lets me borrow their WDS for the weekend so that I can troubleshoot problems in my own time!

I prefer to quote hard facts. I do research, read the Jaguar press releases, technical guides, training guides, workshop manuals, parts manuals etc then form an opinion. I might not always be right but as least there is a fair chance I am. If I am not reasonably sure I prefer to say nothing.

You said earlier that the XF engine wasn't the same generation as the XK and XJ engines. According to the parts manual the short and stripped 5.0L XF and XK engines are the same part number. You would expect some electronics to differ and they do but the part number for the engine control module, knock sensor, supercharger, starter motor, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, cylinder head, oil pump, differential to name a few are the same across all three models, XJ included.

I can't see any evidence of major changes to the 5.0L XF engine in the parts manual though. It seems to have kept pretty much in line with the XK. I would expect some refinement and changes along the way as things constantly evolve.

The main changes listed for the XF are from VIN R47154 when the XF got the 5.0L engine. Things like the diff changed and it now even has the same fuel pump as the XJ.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 AM
pwl

Well, just in looking at marketing literature, the supercharged 5.0 is described the same for the 11XJ/11XK/10XF, so that supports what U102 says.

So, my limited knowledge made me think. If one car has a recall and it seems like a mechnical issue, and that car has the same engine as mine, wouldn't mine possibly have the same issue? Now, I don't know what the "fuel relay" has to do with the engine...is it an integral part, or so distinctively separate that it's not likely the XJ has the same (or will have the same) problem. And if the recall says symptoms are a fuel starved engine that can stall, and my engine acts like it wants to stall......where there's smoke theres' fire, right?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@pwl why do you think it's a mechanical issue?

The "recall remedy" for the 11XK was a software update.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
pwl

Originally Posted by veffremov
@pwl why do you think it's a mechanical issue?

The "recall remedy" for the 11XK was a software update.
I guess mechanical isn't the right word. I just hear "engine", "fuel relays", etc. and I think mechanical. I guess the software not being right is causing it, but utlimately it's the gas, fuel, stalling engine, etc. that make me think it's mechanial components.

By the way, they just me now that it's "normal", that a "supercharged" engine when it idles will stutter and shake a bit. Something about fancy air intakes and stuff. Frankly, I have no idea what they were talking about. Regardless, I do think it must be only my car. No one else I know of has brought it up. I do find it strange, however, if it is normal as they say, why did they do a "software" fix to it, and then tell it was normal when nothing changed?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
I guess mechanical isn't the right word. I just hear "engine", "fuel relays", etc. and I think mechanical. I guess the software not being right is causing it, but utlimately it's the gas, fuel, stalling engine, etc. that make me think it's mechanial components.

By the way, they just me now that it's "normal", that a "supercharged" engine when it idles will stutter and shake a bit. Something about fancy air intakes and stuff. Frankly, I have no idea what they were talking about. Regardless, I do think it must be only my car. No one else I know of has brought it up. I do find it strange, however, if it is normal as they say, why did they do a "software" fix to it, and then tell it was normal when nothing changed?
the 5.0's do have a rough idle, especially cold and its normal. They had a rectal cranial inversion if they thought a reflash would change that. I suspect they just did the to try and appease you. But that open a can of worms, especially when they then say its normal. Look, alot of issues are new to us and Jaguar and many things that at first are thought to be problems are not. And many things that are take time to figure out a real fix. That recall is primarily to address a no start with the rear electronic and fuel pump modules that can lead to a NO START condition. and it is just a refalsh to change software. Just like all the updates that are constantly uploading into our computers every day to fix issues. I just wish the cars could be plugged into the net through Wi Fi and upload automaticly without the owner having to come in....Maybe 1 day Im sure it will be this way

Old 09-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile 2010 XKR (5.0) Rough start idle, esp. when cold

Brutal,

I was researching this complaint I have had with my 2010 new-to-me XKR and came across your post suggesting rough idle is normal on the SC 5.0 engine. I have rough idle only when in warm up, or for the first few seconds after a start when warm. I am guessing it is actually a fault in a warm up system given the way it comes and goes. Do you have a suggestion?

Tom.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Can somebody tell me why the 5 litre V8 petrol engine is being discussed on this forum ?

The 5 litre engine was only fitted from the current XJ onwards, (X351) starting in 2010. This forum covers the X350/X358 cars that only had the 4.2, (as well as the 3 litre and diesel engines outside the USA). Production of these ceased in 2009

Old 09-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Fraser I was wondering the same thing

Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Well actually I was wondering too ...