XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air shock compressor rebuilt but still air fault and vehicle too low

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cats fault now?

I went to move my car to a different part of the garage today. the airlines were disconnected when I started car and I got the CATS SYSTEM FAULT today for the first time.
Could this be a result of the numerous times i've started the car to get compressor running then shut off car to try and figure out my air suspension problems or am i looking at something else now?

EDIT: one of the shock electrical connectors was unplugged.
CATS FAULT GONE

sorry for false alarm.... whewwww

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 07-22-2014 at 03:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 741 Likes on 624 Posts

Those connections are too vulnerable and too easily detached.

Why they don't have a clipped connector like the rest of the electrics I do not know.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-23-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Default Got her raising up again!

Hey everyone just an update:

The 3 month old shock that the previous owner had put in (New Arnott shock) had developed a massive leak like I mentioned in previous post, so after replacing that shock got my baby to lift back up.
The seemingly weak compressor, smaller leak on top of oem shock may have been a big enough problem to prevent car from raising but the leak in the new shock was enormous and would have definitely prevented car from raising on its own.
I didn't suspect the new shock at first, because it was so new...apparently air shocks can fail in just a few months. Manufacture defect?.... I hope.
Spoke with the mechanic that put the shock in for the previous owner 3 months ago and he says I would be able to get another replacement shock from Arnott....will probably just hang onto the warranty replacement shock incase I have any shock problems in the future.

Happy to have the jungle cat back on the road.
Next jobs I will be doing in my garage.... outer tie rod ends, and diagnosing a clunk in lower control arm on the right side so I can finally get an alignment on this cat and maybe put my Assanti rims on her

Thanks again for your help everyone! You make the forum what it is! Good karma coming your way

MANY MAHALOS!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bagpipingandy
that was the best test you did, to fill the bag manually using another source, if you heard air escaping somewhere something was wrong, could it be a lower o-ring seal dislodged due to driving on the bump stops? unlucky for it to be the new rubber bladder damaged?

anyway get the new shock fitted hopefully that gets you lifting again and then sell that refurbished compressor to ease some of the cost and get some $$ back in your wallet!!

regards

Andy
Hey Andy

I got the shock out and when I shake it, it seems something is loose in the bottom bart of shock inside the rubber, could that be the lower o-ring seal I'm hearing and could I fix this myself? It sounds like a huge o-ring if thats what I'm hearing, seems more like a solid ring than rubber by the sound.

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 07-24-2014 at 05:03 AM.