XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Am I Crazy to buy an '04 XJ8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Am I Crazy to buy an '04 XJ8 ?

I'm considering an '04 XJ8, and seeking your advice

The car is private party one owner, about 100 miles from me. Reportedly garaged from new; always dealer serviced; all records. Around 105K miles, and asking about $6K. Death in family situation.

I've always liked the XJ8, but have no experience with them. The price is v low, but I don't want a money pit.

Looking through this forum, seems (front?) air struts and compressor are typical problems (these were reportedly replaced ~ 1 yr ago). Anything else to really scrutinize?

I'm 63, and currently have an M3 BMW (previous car an M5; before an Audi A8 and E320 MB). I'm interested in the XJ8 as a comfortable long distance car (recently had back surgery)

I typically repair and maintain cars myself, and have been comfortable with looking after the previous (German) vehicles. Is this jag similarly DIY friendly? Is this model year worthy? (I have read previous XJ8 models are too unreliable; is the 2004 OK, or better to look for newer?)

Appreciate your thoughts!

Old 10-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm no car expert, but I would recommend that you look at the service records to see what's been repaired/replaced, check to see what the service intervals were, and have a Jaguar mechanic check it out before you purchase. And if he's already replaced the air struts and compressor you're in the clear on those quite a while.

But 6k is a great price.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Default Education....

Thanks!

I've been reading through the forum (X350) sticky, and will add LH heater, coolant leaks, coolant bottle, frt A frame bushings, diff leaks, etc to list

While I'm fine with fixing stuff, my real question is whether '04 (first year of redesign) is a lemon, and later XJ8 years are better?

It will take a 2hr drive to look at the service records, but I expect to find that scheduled maint was done religiously at dealer. Question is whether a huge amount is now due at ~100K miles). With MB W221 (eg S550, which I've looked at), 100K mile service at dealer is ~$4 - 7K, without repairs. Same with an XJ8?

How about DIY OBD? I was able to use vag com on a laptop very successfully with A8 Audi. MB and BMW proprietary OBD systems too expensive (and generic OBD reader is v limited). I've been able to diagnoise them with good online forums (thanks to lots of skilled DIY'ers). Same with jag owners?

Old 10-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

There is nothing in the service schedules that requires a load of work at 100k. If the car has been looked after a lot of things that seem to wear out rather quicker than we 2nd/3rd/4th owners would like, will already have been done, like some of the suspension bushes, air suspension compressor, brake discs etc.

My car is 40 miles away from 100k and running well, but I have had to spend some money each year on parts replacement. Of course you have to buy tyres and brake pads, and brake discs tend not to last as long as once they did.

The bottom line is that your car will get to 200k fairly easily, but you have to maintain it well in order to do that, don't neglect things !

Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 PM

Tks, Fraser

A man who has two (!) MG's and a Fiat to look after is certainly qualified to advise on maintenance issues. Compliments

I was born in St Albans, and my British parents brought me up (in San Diego) with the concept that anything could be fixed. I've been struggling with this ever since. My last jag was a '66 E type with a bad clutch and overheating issues. Fixing it pushed me into a lifetime of German cars

Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

There are some frustrating issues that come up with these cars, but it's rewarding when everything is just right. I had to replace the coolant tank yesterday. With certain things I've actually found this car very easy to work on. I've had the car just over a year but the total of repairs is head spinning. In order of when they've been replaced, here's the list.

Both front hubs
Tires
Suspension(coil over conversion)
Battery
A couple cooling hoses
Coolant overflow tank

I'm hoping it will be set for a while. At least it all was technically typical wear items, the suspension issue got me stranded far from home.

The following users liked this post:
hisport (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:33 PM

Thanks, Torrid

Were the front hubs due to wheel brg's?

I read that the XJ8 air suspension is unreliable. Was your "coil over" conversion cost effective vs repair of the OE air suspension? Does it ride as well with steel springs? Is it ~$2500 to retrofit?

BTW, I considered the MB W220 S55 AMG, but the "active body control" (hydraulic suspension) is similarly problematic, at ~$1500+ a corner to fix. I looked at three cars, and all were due. Plus, they were too boy racer for me

If the 04 XJ8 OE air suspension will last ~ 75K miles after fixing with aftermarket struts, compressor, and stuff, I'm good with it. Will it?

Tires, brakes, coolant bottles I'm OK with. Though, not all at once

Would you buy your VP again?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Just go for it. Do the research. Stay away from the non documented "well maintained" ones. I am going for a 2004 XJ8 or 2003 XJR. I have an inspection company check them out and a Jaguar dealer PPI done before making any offers. On my fifth and sixth vehicles since search started. 2004 is local long time Jag dealer vehicle for sale and 2003 is "documented" repair and maintenance vehicle. All known issues are fixable. This will be first non GM, BMW, Volvo vehicle I wrench and I have a local indie shop with a 28 year retired master tech to fix anything I screw up.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by hisport
Thanks, Torrid

Were the front hubs due to wheel brg's?

I read that the XJ8 air suspension is unreliable. Was your "coil over" conversion cost effective vs repair of the OE air suspension? Does it ride as well with steel springs? Is it ~$2500 to retrofit?

BTW, I considered the MB W220 S55 AMG, but the "active body control" (hydraulic suspension) is similarly problematic, at ~$1500+ a corner to fix. I looked at three cars, and all were due. Plus, they were too boy racer for me

If the 04 XJ8 OE air suspension will last ~ 75K miles after fixing with aftermarket struts, compressor, and stuff, I'm good with it. Will it?

Tires, brakes, coolant bottles I'm OK with. Though, not all at once

Would you buy your VP again?
Yep, bad wheel bearings. The full coilover kit with install and alignment was about $1900. It's the only thing I didn't do myself. I'd most likely still buy it again. I've grown a bit attached to it.

My car always rode hard with the air suspension. The steel coils were an improvement in both turn in and ride quality.

hisport (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Torrid,

With the wheel bearings, what were your symptoms?

Also, what brand suspension conversion did you purchase?

Thanks

Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 PM

Believe the '03 XJR you are considering may be the earlier (X308?) design. I have driven a couple of these, and found them very dated vs the later cars

The '04 - '07(?) XJ's seem well regarded. I would buy an XJR within that year range if there was a decent one within driving distance

My other thing is I want a short wheel base, which seems easier to find in '04's (or XJR's).

Originally Posted by JimMLiny
Just go for it. Do the research. Stay away from the non documented "well maintained" ones. I am going for a 2004 XJ8 or 2003 XJR. I have an inspection company check them out and a Jaguar dealer PPI done before making any offers. On my fifth and sixth vehicles since search started. 2004 is local long time Jag dealer vehicle for sale and 2003 is "documented" repair and maintenance vehicle. All known issues are fixable. This will be first non GM, BMW, Volvo vehicle I wrench and I have a local indie shop with a 28 year retired master tech to fix anything I screw up.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by harvest14
Torrid,

Thanks
Harvest:

Has your '04 XJ8 been reliable?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

It's only been about 6 months since we bought it; it's my wife's car. It had 132,000 miles when we bought it and has almost 138,000 miles now. We bought it with bad brakes and a leaking transmission, so the first thing I did was drain the transmission and put it back together with a new pan/filter assembly and ZF fluid. Then of course I replaced all of the rotors and pads. This is stuff we knew up front though.

The only issue outside of that was annoying electrical problems causing strange dash light behavior and even, one time, engine shut-off in traffic. Thanks to this forum I found out it was corroded ground points behind the passenger headlights. I fixed those about 3 months ago and the problems have completely disappeared since.

We love the car and, at least as of yet, don't regret buying it. We are just waiting for the air suspension to fail at which point I plan to install a conversion kit. The previous owner had the dealer install a new front air shock (very expensive) just before we bought the car, but still...if anything fails again I'm just replacing it all with conventional suspension.

I did a lot of other smaller things too, just as preventative maintenance. Changed differential fluid, fuel filter, accessory drive belt, lug nuts (old two-piece ones were badly damaged by air wrenches) etc etc.

I drive a 2001 XJ8 (X308), and my wife's car (2004 XJ8) is a considerably faster car! And despite the fact my X308 had only 94,000 miles on it when I bought it, it has been the car to require more repairs.

hisport (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by harvest14
Torrid,

Thanks
The usual bearing groan. Both were in bad shape when I bought it. I went with the Strutmasters kit.

harvest14 (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by hisport
I'm considering an '04 XJ8, and seeking your advice

The car is private party one owner, about 100 miles from me. Reportedly garaged from new; always dealer serviced; all records. Around 105K miles, and asking about $6K. Death in family situation.

I've always liked the XJ8, but have no experience with them. The price is v low, but I don't want a money pit.

Looking through this forum, seems (front?) air struts and compressor are typical problems (these were reportedly replaced ~ 1 yr ago). Anything else to really scrutinize?

I'm 63, and currently have an M3 BMW (previous car an M5; before an Audi A8 and E320 MB). I'm interested in the XJ8 as a comfortable long distance car (recently had back surgery)

I typically repair and maintain cars myself, and have been comfortable with looking after the previous (German) vehicles. Is this jag similarly DIY friendly? Is this model year worthy? (I have read previous XJ8 models are too unreliable; is the 2004 OK, or better to look for newer?)

Appreciate your thoughts!

That's not a bad deal. I love my 04. You will want a laptop and a Mongoose cable is you want to service the vehicle yourself.

hisport (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 AM

Thanks Harvest

The things you have done (maintenance wise) and fixed are sort of what I'm used to doing with a used german car. Example is replacing fluids - particularly ATF.

The ZF "sealed trans" thing has led to lots of problems (eg Audi and BMW); believe they have now reverted to 60K mile service intervals with Audi. Surprised to read on this forum that the jury is still out with Jaguar

Where in NC are you? We live just north of WS (Pilot MT)

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM

Thanks David

The idea that there are folks like you and others (above) on this forum who do their own work makes me think that I'll take the plunge, assuming the '04 is clean upon inspection

Appreciate the OBD tip. Assume there is a diagnostic software set to go with the Mongoose laptop cable?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hey hisport,

I live a little east of High Point. We are probably less than an hour apart.

hisport (10-28-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, if folk think you are crazy for idea; then, I am certifiable! Just closed negotiation for 48K 2004 XJ8 where front shocks and brake job just done along with sealing trunk under TSB for water leak. I have a iCarsoft ODBII scanner that should work and BritishDiagnostics Mongoose set up which I hope to keep unused for at least next 50K miles.

hisport (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 10:38 PM

Jim

Hope you enjoy your "new" jag. I'm going to look at an '04 on thursday

Plz keep us posted on how things go. Glad you opted for x350

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy to buy an '04 XJ8 ?