XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

another rear parking sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts
Default another rear parking sensor issue

The other day my rear parking sensor started beeping constantly (continuous tone, as though the rear is up against a wall) whenever I put the car in reverse. Front parking sensors still work fine. I've gone around the car and listened at every sensor, all 8 are ticking exactly the same. What is the next best diagnostic, pull the rear bumper and unplug each sensor in turn until it stops beeping?

Also looked in the trunk and the module but nothing to see there--spare wheel well is bone dry, car only gets wet when it's washed.

Thanks,
-Michael

Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
The other day my rear parking sensor started beeping constantly (continuous tone, as though the rear is up against a wall) whenever I put the car in reverse. Front parking sensors still work fine. I've gone around the car and listened at every sensor, all 8 are ticking exactly the same. What is the next best diagnostic, pull the rear bumper and unplug each sensor in turn until it stops beeping?

Also looked in the trunk and the module but nothing to see there--spare wheel well is bone dry, car only gets wet when it's washed.

Thanks,
-Michael
Hook up to diagnostic software to see what code(s) the parking aid system is showing.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

It will be a sensor or maybe two.

I pulled the bumper.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Michael,

Can you let me know if you end up running a diagnostic? I am still trying to determine if the mid-grade handheld scanners that read some Jaguar codes will report which sensors are failing, or if the codes are read by SDD. (I don't have it, did you ever get a version running?)

My system fails with the one long beep error when first put in drive or reverse in an ignition cycle, whenever ambient temperatures are below 70. Better put, my system only works when its above 70 degrees outside. Why this is the case, I don't know, but my guess is that either a sensor or part of the harness overcomes an open circuit and works when some expansion from temperature takes place.

Finally, since you have front and rear park assist have you observed that the tone is different (higher/lower) depending on if it's a front or rear obstacle presence detected? I forget which, but seem to remember front being the higher tone. Perhaps the tone you are getting can eliminate 50% of the sensors!

I'm in your area, and would be happy to compare notes on this if you would like..Let us know what develops.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:20 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Handheld scanners...

Reading another thread on this issue:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/jaguar-xj8l-2006-parking-sensor-issue-211243/

and these code readers are discussed, with one member saying:

"talking about a cheap one that will read Jag Chassis and Body codes such as iCarsoft 930 or LRII I think is the newer version. The other is the Foxwell N510 iirc. These won't read the 6th or 7th code but will get you the first 5 and that should be enough to get you to a diagnosis. 90% of the problems are bad sensor(s).

if they can get past OBD2, and read body codes, I may have to grab one. Does anyone else have experience with these?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:09 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

the 930 I got would not communicate with my car even though the support people said it shoud.So I upgraded to the LR11.The LR11works fine and reads both engine and body codes plus live data.The support people at Carsoft were also very helpful when I contacted them.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairware
Michael,

Can you let me know if you end up running a diagnostic? I am still trying to determine if the mid-grade handheld scanners that read some Jaguar codes will report which sensors are failing, or if the codes are read by SDD. (I don't have it, did you ever get a version running?)

My system fails with the one long beep error when first put in drive or reverse in an ignition cycle, whenever ambient temperatures are below 70. Better put, my system only works when its above 70 degrees outside. Why this is the case, I don't know, but my guess is that either a sensor or part of the harness overcomes an open circuit and works when some expansion from temperature takes place.

Finally, since you have front and rear park assist have you observed that the tone is different (higher/lower) depending on if it's a front or rear obstacle presence detected? I forget which, but seem to remember front being the higher tone. Perhaps the tone you are getting can eliminate 50% of the sensors!

I'm in your area, and would be happy to compare notes on this if you would like..Let us know what develops.
I do have SDD running, I think version 131, but it's so cumbersome I rarely use it. I can pull and clear codes, and have used it to recalibrate the suspension height and change options in the driver door module (global unlock). However I've never been able to get to a list of sensor data... gave up on that one since I don't have a power supply to keep the car battery from going flat while I spend a hour poking around with SDD.

I will check for codes, but I doubt it will have set one. The way the sensor is sounding continuously, my guess is the system just thinks it's next to an obstacle, it doesn't know a sensor is stuck. It isn't seeing any short to ground or power (and all of the sensors tick normally). But I will check nonetheless.

The tone for the front/rear park sensors is the same, but the speakers are either in the dash or rear shelf, so you know which one is getting closer to an obstacle.