XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar XJ8L 2006 PARKING SENSOR ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XJ8L 2006 PARKING SENSOR ISSUE

So I've been having an issue with my parking sensors when both in drive and reverse. Once I first shift into reverse the alarm goes off as a constant sound for maybe 5-7 seconds before turning off, but I haven't noticed it happen when in drive. The sensor alarm goes off from time to time in stand still traffic though when a car passes by when it doesn't seem at all to close. Something I noticed just now that may or not be normal. When I come to a low speed or stand still, is the button parking sensor mute button above on the roof by the sunshade storage supposed to turn red when you stop or slow down all the time? I don't recall if it ever did that before. When I am driving the light isn't on, but turns red when I am stopped and turns off again once I get going. I do know that it would stay a constant red color if I clicked the button to mute the alarm sound. There are no obstacles in the way. I reckon this is to let me know that there is an issue that needs to be looked at. I turned on the car ignition, keeping engine off and put the parking brake on. Shifted into reverse. All but 1 sensor in the inner front passenger side has the electric pulsing clicking noise. Would 1 bad front sensor cause both the front and back sensors when either in drive or reversing to have an issue or total fault? So now the question is, how do I go about checking that 1 sensor in the inner front passenger side? I would like to clean if needed or see if anything got loose. In the boot/trunk, could a fuse have gone bad? Is there anything I need to do in the boot/trunk to fix the sensor?

The following users liked this post:
Milowokie (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same issue (same year and model). I have an electrical problem that causes the battery (recently new) to drain to dead and wondered if the parking sensor might be the culprit, but really I have no idea where to begin to track down the fault.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Evans
So I've been having an issue with my parking sensors when both in drive and reverse. Once I first shift into reverse the alarm goes off as a constant sound for maybe 5-7 seconds before turning off, but I haven't noticed it happen when in drive. The sensor alarm goes off from time to time in stand still traffic though when a car passes by when it doesn't seem at all to close. Something I noticed just now that may or not be normal. When I come to a low speed or stand still, is the button parking sensor mute button above on the roof by the sunshade storage supposed to turn red when you stop or slow down all the time? I don't recall if it ever did that before. When I am driving the light isn't on, but turns red when I am stopped and turns off again once I get going. I do know that it would stay a constant red color if I clicked the button to mute the alarm sound. There are no obstacles in the way. I reckon this is to let me know that there is an issue that needs to be looked at. I turned on the car ignition, keeping engine off and put the parking brake on. Shifted into reverse. All but 1 sensor in the inner front passenger side has the electric pulsing clicking noise. Would 1 bad front sensor cause both the front and back sensors when either in drive or reversing to have an issue or total fault? So now the question is, how do I go about checking that 1 sensor in the inner front passenger side? I would like to clean if needed or see if anything got loose. In the boot/trunk, could a fuse have gone bad? Is there anything I need to do in the boot/trunk to fix the sensor?
Let us know which questions the info below answers and doesn't answer.

From the owners manual of my XK. I would presume yours is the same or similar:
The parkiing aid automatically switches off when the vehicle is moving above 15 km/h (9 mph) and requires to be switched on again when moving below 15 km/h(9 mph).

When both front and rear parking aids are fitted, a switch is located in the overhead console. Pressing the switch turns both the front and rear parking aids on or off. The switch indicator lamp will come on when the system is turned on or if a fault is detected in the system. A switch is not provided when only a rear parking aid is fitted.
Note: The front parking aid will also operate when reverse gear is selected. The front parking aid provides an audible proximity warning when driving forwards or reversing.

The front and rear sensors only operate within a fixed speed range in forward gears and are not effective when moving forwards at speeds above 15 km/h (9 mph).
If the system has a fault when engaging reverse gear or turning on the ignition, then a single, three second tone will be heard (only once per ignition cycle) and, if fitted, the switch indicator light will flash for three seconds and then switch off.

Front and Rear Corner beeps- Approximately600mm(24inches).
Rear center beeps - Approximately1800mm(71inches).
Front center beeps - Approximately800mm(31inches).

Objects are detected within the operating ranges above. If an obstacle is detected at the front or rear of the vehicle, a warning tone will be heard from the front or rear speaker respectively.
Note: The outer rear sensors will show visual detection on the message centre before the audible warning is given.
The warning tone increases in rate as the vehicle approaches the obstacle. The warning tone will become continuous when the obstacle is detected at, or within, 300 mm (12 inches) from the vehicle.

Please hit the Thanks button if I helped you.

RoadMaster2 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Temperature influences parking assist failing / functioning.

I am happy to have the "normal operating conditions of the system" - this is essential in determining if the system of "operating as designed" or, as in may cases: Not. On my newer X350, I have had issues from purchase (with 80k miles) - It is a Vanden Plas and has front and rear sensors. In my case the whole system fails at cooler ambient temperatures, and operates perfectly in hot weather. Consistently. The cutoff is quite warm: around 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit. I have been unable to hear the pulsing sound - probably because I only listen when they are non-functional, lol. But the whole temperature thing has me stumped and doing crazy diagnostics.

Example: When it got cool in september, I thought: Lets heat the individual sensors until the system works. Using a blow dryer (I don't have a heat gun, but really didn't want to make anything super hot anyway. I learned nothing even after heating each sensor for 5+ minutes until they were quite warm to the touch. never got the system to start functioning. I even heated the module (while removed from the car) and no luck.

I COULD buy a reasonably priced module and try it but that seems unlikely to work. My thinking is that either one or more sensors are failed and for some reason are able to work when warm and components expand, or there is a wiring open or short that corrects itself whenn the harness at that point gets warmed up and expands either correcting an open or correcting a short, also by expansion and/or softening of the wire insulation.

Thats all I got. I have only found 1 or 2 instances on the web regarding similar "works when its hot" behavior. Interestingly I found one case where the writer claimed it worked when COLD and failed when warm.

PLEASE. Anyone! Ideas? Similar experiences? I have to fix this or I will have to park the Jag at the insane asylum for the winter, while I receive treatment inside. Probably electro-shock therapy.

RoadMaster2 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It too get the long beep when initially moving into gear. Never having parking sensors before it doesn't bother me that the fronts and rears don't do anything.

However the next owner may not be so laissez-faire.

So an identification and/or solution to the issue would help me too.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Milowokie
It too get the long beep when initially moving into gear. Never having parking sensors before it doesn't bother me that the fronts and rears don't do anything.

However the next owner may not be so laissez-faire.

So an identification and/or solution to the issue would help me too.
Pull the codes with a Jaguar scanner. Looking at the C (chasis) or B (body) related codes. You'll find your issue, more than likely a wonky sensor.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't have a Jaguar scanner, just an OBD code reader, which lets me know I have a P0400 error every couple of hundred miles. Oddly less frequent after a coolant/thermostat change.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

The scanner will help. You're really DOA without it. I recommend a cheap one that will read Jag Chassis and Body codes such as iCarsoft 930 or LRII I think is the newer version. The other is the Foxwell N510 iirc. These won't read the 6th or 7th code but will get you the first 5 and that should be enough to get you to a diagnosis. 90% of the problems are bad sensor(s). They are standard Ford parts if it comes to that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
mikebaker3 (12-15-2018), Milowokie (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:25 PM

On the LWB models, once you have had the rear assist - its easy to miss having it. There's nothing like being able to back up to a brick wall and stop 8" from it with consistent precision. I have tinted glass as well, and I have had plenty of big sedans, but still, there's a lot of car behind you. WIthout it, I always think "thats it. I am right there". Then I get out to see 2+ feet still available, lol.

I wasn't aware we could read chassis and body codes with third party scanners. I was always under the impression you needed SDD or the other one, or a dealer. Good to know, and on my short list>

Old 12-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blairware
I wasn't aware we could read chassis and body codes with third party scanners. I was always under the impression you needed SDD or the other one, or a dealer. Good to know, and on my short list>
Just the two in the handheld category that I'm aware of. Also autoenginuity which is laptop based.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

"The outer rear sensors will show visual detection on the message centre before the audible warning is given."

I have never noticed this feature. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

turn on ignition, or get someone to sit in it with engine running, put the car in reverse, then get on your hands and knees and stick your ear to each sensor in turn, you should hear a light clicking sound, a faulty sensor will be silent, if they are all silent, it's possible the system has shut down because of a fault, you may need to clear the codes and then try again, I got a Foxwell NT644 which covers multiple manufacturers and does cover all systems on my Jaguar, cost me £395, but for about £200 you can buy a Jaguar specific model.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

You don't need to have engine running.

Ign in pos'n 2 reverse selected.

I never heard any beeping when I had sensor probs.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

That's what I said, either Ignition on or engine running, but if engine running, have someone in the car, foot on brake, you don't want to get run over by your own car, lol.
I had beeping when I had a faulty sensor, I have front sensors so I have the switch in the overhead, when a fault is detected the system lets out a long beep, and the light by the switch turns red. Listened at all sensors and no clicking from the front left hand side centre.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Looks like I might have to try to reset the system as described in the post several before this. I have never had any clicking, or sound or vibration or cycling of any type when it fails, and the long tone us emitted when selecting reverse.

Then again I have never checked for clicking g when it's hot out and all works. Why would I, lol? Of course the answer is "to find the faulty sensor"

and the question is:

Why did the Jaguar cross the road? In reverse with no one at the wheel?

One other observation, the audible signals are different for front and rear systems. One is a higher tone than the other. I forget which, but it differentiates so you can tell if your coming or going. I hoped at one time that the "system failure" tone would indicate if its front or rear by the pitch, and it may indeed do so, I am just not familiar enough with the note it plays to know which.

Also: when the system IS working, and I am driving. I have had it suddenly fail, while in motion. Letting out the long tone and lighting the LED in the overhead switch.

All very maddening. Front parking assist is of limited value, but I like the rear one a lot, for the LWB car, tinted glass and the sunshade, it's nice to have that precision when backing.

Does ANYONE think there is any value trying a replacement module on spec? I remain very doubtful.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
"The outer rear sensors will show visual detection on the message centre before the audible warning is given."

I have never noticed this feature. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.
THIS is interesting. Will see if any text appears on the message center (by odometer)