XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Another Transmission Fluid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts
Default Another Transmission Fluid Thread

I suspect my mechatronic sleeve is leaking, so I'll be attempting a replacement this weekend. I had a fluid change done less than two years ago, so I'm planning on just refilling the pan with the fluid currently in there. However, I would like to compensate for the amount that has leaked out over the past week or so. It's just a few drops everyday, not even enough for an actual puddle to form, but I'd still like to replace what was lost. That being said, my local Jag dealer charges $50 for a litre of ZFLifeguard. I know there are cheaper prices online, but I don't want to wait another week for it to arrive. For such a tiny amount, is there an alternative fluid I can pick up at autozone or pepboys? Or do I even need to worry about about such a small amount?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 PM
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't do that. If I were dumping the fluid, I'd replace it with new. The fluid change that you did two years ago wouldn't have changed all the fluid in the transmission as about 3-4 liters stays in the transmission and torque converter. Changing the 5-6 liters in the lower pan can only be a good thing. Have you changed the pan and filter before? I'm guessing with 150k on it you have, but if not it might be a good time to do the whole job.

Liters of fluid can be bought here:

ZF LifeGuard 6 - 1L Container

and the whole kit here:

Oil change kit for 6HP26/28/32

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
hisport (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Yeah, I'd just replace it with new. I did a full flush on mine about 5k miles ago. I have another 12k miles to hit 100k miles, but I plan a drain, pan, sleeve, and fill then.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:17 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

LG6 can be found online for as low as about $17 a liter. However, if I were confronted with this, and was stuck someplace and had to have fluid that very day, I would use a quart of Mercon SP. Any local Ford dealer should have it.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Box
LG6 can be found online for as low as about $17 a liter. However, if I were confronted with this, and was stuck someplace and had to have fluid that very day, I would use a quart of Mercon SP. Any local Ford dealer should have it.
Exactly what I did when my car sprung a cooling line leak on a Saturday. Full flush and the gearbox is happy again.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for chiming in, guys. I should have been more clear in saying that I had a full fluid flush done less than 2 years ago, so the fluid is still pretty new. No need to change it again. The pan was replaced 6 years ago, but I'm going to replace it again anyway, along with the mechatronic sleeve. The only issue I have is replacing the small amount of fluid that has leaked out over the past week or so. For such a tiny amount (probably less than half a liter), I guess I could go with the Mercon SP.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

That is what I did when I filled mine ---I was 1/2L short so I made up with Mercon SP----15k kms and 12 months ago. All is well so far.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts

Mr White et al:
Thanks for the link to the pan/fluid kit
- Is 6 L of ZF fluid typically enough? (with pan change?)
- Is the "sleeve" a typical leak point? (I have had to replace the electrical connection "plug" on Mercedes and BMW trans due to leakage)

With big Audi's, the (ZF) filter plugs up and starves the front pump, resulting in trans failure. Believe that Audi has now backed away from "lifetime fill", and added 100 km (~60K miles) fluid and filter changes to maint schedule

I had to replace the trans on my last Mercedes due to (Valero?) radiator failure (coolant in trans). Anything like this a known issue with Jags?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, so I'm finally going to be tackling this repair on Saturday. I've been pouring over every thread on the subject. I have one question...if I'm just reusing the old fluid that I drained out, I don't have to go through the whole warm-up, check level, refill process, do I? I'm putting the exact same amount back in, so there's really no question of how much is needed. Is my logic sound?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

You can pick up Mercon SP at O'Reilly's, check online if it is in stock at the store near you.

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Ok, so I'm finally going to be tackling this repair on Saturday. I've been pouring over every thread on the subject. I have one question...if I'm just reusing the old fluid that I drained out, I don't have to go through the whole warm-up, check level, refill process, do I? I'm putting the exact same amount back in, so there's really no question of how much is needed. Is my logic sound?
No, you really don't have any idea how much has been lost or that you would be adding the correct amount. Unfortunately, since they failed to anticipate that it wasn't 'sealed for life', there is no other accurate way to make the level correct. The 6HP26 is sensitive to being under or overfilled, so you will have to go through the whole procedure.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 PM

If you do have the correct amount, there's no way of getting it in without going through the process. If you don't go through the gears you'll never get all the fluid back in.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. You were indeed right...I did have to go through the whole process in order to get all the fluid back in. Everything is buttoned up nicely and no more leaking. On another note, in all the threads I read about changing the mechatronic sleeve, no one mentioned exactly how nearly impossible it is to reach it. I almost decided to just buy a new car when I saw where it was! But in the end I persevered. I wouldn't have been able to do it without this forum. Thank you to everyone.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:05 AM
Box
Veteran Member

For those curious, Mercon SP is produced by Shell US for Ford, and LG6 is Shell GmbH for ZF, both application specifically for the 6HP26. The base oil CAS of SP, shows to be the same between the two, and Shell lists this same CAS usage in Shell GmbH. Others have done chemical analysis and the additives of calcium, phosphorus, and boron are almost identical between the two, and those differences were no more than would be seen in various lots from the same facility, and actually SP had the greater amount. There is one surfactant listed for LG6, that is not declared in SP, however, this doesn't really affect lubricity, and doesn't preclude that there isn't surfactants in SP. Virtually all fluids for transmission use has surfactants, and have for over half a century.

Since I have had one of my lines begin to leak, I'll be flushing and replacing LG6 with SP with the line replacement. I know the adaption percentages, and will record the differences between the two and post them when the service is completed.

Last edited by Box; 08-07-2016 at 08:31 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Box:
Don B (08-10-2016), hisport (08-10-2016), Partick the Cat (08-07-2016), plums (08-10-2016), XJ8JR (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts

Impressive!

Thanks, David

In the USA, what's the best source of fluid? I see that there's a seller (EBay?) selling a kit with pan/filter, fluid, etc for ZF 6sp. Is this a good way to go? (link below)

How many liters per filter service?

Is off brand ATF (ie, not mercon) eg, Liqui Moloy OK? (Link below also)

New Jaguar s Type XFR XFR XKR s Auto Trans Filter Kit Fluids ZF | eBay

8 Liters Liqui Moly ATF III Automatic Transmission Oil Fluid for Jaguar VW Volvo | eBay

Old 08-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hisport
Impressive!

Thanks, David

In the USA, what's the best source of fluid? I see that there's a seller (EBay?) selling a kit with pan/filter, fluid, etc for ZF 6sp. Is this a good way to go? (link below)

8 Liters Liqui Moly ATF III Automatic Transmission Oil Fluid for Jaguar VW Volvo | eBay
I have said it before, but not here, and that is LG6 is what ZF recommends exclusively. There has been much debate over the use of anything else. Ford started using the 6HP26, and when the price point of the fluid was considered, Ford felt that consumers wouldn't be willing to pay the high cost of ZF's branded fluid. Ford and ZF went back to Shell US, (which Shell GmbH makes for ZF LG6 in Europe) and had the same formula created in the Houston refinery, and packaged as Mercon SP for Ford dealers. ZF does not make fluid, they brand Shell's fluid as ZF LG6. ZF has a vested interest in only recommending their fluid, as their profit margins, as is Jaguar dealerships very high.

I still personally feel, all things considered, LG6 or Motorcraft Mercon SP the only fluids I would place in my tranny. Since I have never run SP before, I'm going to test in my own vehicle. However, chemically, they test the same. SP has the traditional red dye, and does have a slightly different aroma than that of LG6. Both of these are the only ones I know, which are actually made by Shell, which meet Shell ATF M-1375.4

But we do know Ford vehicles with the 6HP26 use SP exclusively. The only real difference between Ford's version of the 6HP26, is that they use a valve to control flow to the cooler, but friction and steel plates are the same between the two. Both use Mechatronics, but I'm sure with different firmware versions. We'll see what happens as soon as I get the lines in and installed.

I purchased a case of 12 from Ryder at about $5.66 a quart @ http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/mo...p-p-w83-xt6qsp

Last edited by Box; 08-10-2016 at 01:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Box:
hisport (08-10-2016), Mac Allan (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Just get LG6

Originally Posted by hisport
Impressive!

Thanks, David

The ZF LG6 may be 8 - 10 dollars a quart more than Mercon. But you will only get 6 quarts in so it will be 50 - 60 dollars more for ZF. The peace of mind is worth 50.00. If 50.00 is a deal killer you are driving the wrong vehicle.
But my opinion should be judged against what I did. Requested the previous owner change fluid on his nickel. He could not find LG6 in Houston and used Pentosin ATF1. Has been working fine. I considered flushing with LG6. Seemed to work normally so left it.
I used LG6 when I did my A8 at 70,000. But that was me ordering parts from California prior.
May just open the fill port and dump a little out of the Jaguar. Then top back off with ATF1.
Between the BMW's, Audi's, and Jaguars using the same 6 speed ZF I think I have seen every brand mentioned as tried. None were posted on line as having killed a tranny.
Audi is the worst. In some years they recommended different ZF fluid for each engine in the A8. LG6 in the 4.2 V-8, 6+ in the 6.0 W-12, and LG8 in the 5.2 V-10. Maybe something else in the TDI. Then the dealer seemed for a while to recommend changing all to LG8 and Reflashing.
Luckily they do not push it anymore. Seem less interested in the bottom feeders who drive 10-12 year old sedans.
I can not get my closest Jaguar dealer to schedule a key purchase and program. They really are not interested in my business.
An Audi dealer nearby did one for the A-8 and it is a smart key.

hisport (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The ZF LG6 may be 8 - 10 dollars a quart more than Mercon. But you will only get 6 quarts in so it will be 50 - 60 dollars more for ZF. The peace of mind is worth 50.00. If 50.00 is a deal killer you are driving the wrong vehicle.
But my opinion should be judged against what I did. Requested the previous owner change fluid on his nickel. He could not find LG6 in Houston and used Pentosin ATF1. Has been working fine. I considered flushing with LG6. Seemed to work normally so left it.
I used LG6 when I did my A8 at 70,000. But that was me ordering parts from California prior.
May just open the fill port and dump a little out of the Jaguar. Then top back off with ATF1.
Between the BMW's, Audi's, and Jaguars using the same 6 speed ZF I think I have seen every brand mentioned as tried. None were posted on line as having killed a tranny.
Audi is the worst. In some years they recommended different ZF fluid for each engine in the A8. LG6 in the 4.2 V-8, 6+ in the 6.0 W-12, and LG8 in the 5.2 V-10. Maybe something else in the TDI. Then the dealer seemed for a while to recommend changing all to LG8 and Reflashing.
Luckily they do not push it anymore. Seem less interested in the bottom feeders who drive 10-12 year old sedans.
I can not get my closest Jaguar dealer to schedule a key purchase and program. They really are not interested in my business.
An Audi dealer nearby did one for the A-8 and it is a smart key.
I've seen the Blackstone analysis of LG6 and Mercon SP and they are the same. Shell internal numbers shows the base the same. The additives are identical between the two, but the most important component, both are Shell ATF M-1375.4, made by Shell, one in Europe, one in the US, which is the specified fluid. Mercon SP is not compatible for those who use LG8, which is synthetic.

Last edited by Box; 08-10-2016 at 04:40 PM.
hisport (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I flushed and switched to sp when I replaced the pan this passed winter. The 2nd gear squawk is gone and so is the kick in the *** at a full stop. It's my daily driver and I've yet to have problems with sp.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The peace of mind is worth 50.00. If 50.00 is a deal killer you are driving the wrong vehicle.
Not to be a noodge, but posts like that give me a bit of headache. Just because we own Jaguars, doesn't mean we have to be suckers. Yes, I can "afford" LG6, and I would happily pay a premium if a premium existed. Additionally, I don't think we should begrudge anyone here who is seeking a more cost effective way to accomplish something. $50 here*, $50 there, etc. eventually, we're talking real money. Perhaps the reason we can afford to do a lot of things is because we're smart enough not to necessarily waste money.

Apologies for being blunt, but you aren't buying a single bit of peace of mind with that $50. You are throwing away $50 dollars with no benefit whatsoever because the two products (LG6/Mercon SP) are chemically identical. That said, just as I wouldn't begrudge someone trying to figure out how to cut costs, if someone wants to spend more because it makes them feel good, please go for it. It's your car and your wallet.

*btw, it's more than 50 bucks because if you are doing the procedure correctly, you'll use more than 5 quarts, and ideally, you'll do it a couple of times to get as much new fluid in as possible. That is why the case deal that David linked to at Ryder is an ideal solution.

Cheers

Last edited by Mac Allan; 08-10-2016 at 09:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
hisport (08-11-2016), plums (08-10-2016), XJ8JR (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts

You are throwing away $50 dollars with no benefit whatsoever because the two products (LG6/Mercon SP) are chemically identical.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

That may be completely true. Both meet the Shell spec. I still would pay the difference and drop 17.00 per quart for the ZF fluid.
For me the Jaguar fluid from the dealer at 40.00 is wasted money. I did not find Mercon SP at less than 6 dollars. I did find another 5 quart jug of ATF1 for less than 20.00. Never would recommend this fluid.

Quick Reply: Another Transmission Fluid Thread