XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Attempting a Picnic Tray latch repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Attempting a Picnic Tray latch repair

Mine just popped off while driving the other day, screw still remained in the seatback, but the rest had fallen to the floor. Its lost some of the plastic around where the screw is supposed to be, but i'm pondering a fix, considering a new latch is in the $80 range from our sponsor, Gaudin Jaguar.

I've got some $15 repair magic goo on order, and will document the attempted fix with instructions and pics, if you think its worth doing. I haven't been around this area long enough to know if the latches fall apart that often...I did find the thread from a JF member who's latches 'exploded' more than once, however.

I wasn't going to try this, but after I figured out how to disassemble the latch so I can have front and rear access to the broken area, I decided to attempt it.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Try superglue and baking soda will plastic weld any plastic
Sprinkle on baking soda after supeglue for an instant set
You can then sand any excess or even attack it with a dremel

Recently repaired a 25mm hole on my mirrors this way.

Cheers
34by151

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Good top, I'll keep it in mind! I'll start my repair in a couple days time.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Picnic table latch fail

Hi guys, I am on my 4th set of latches. On two occasions the latch failed as they were delivering the car after the latch repair. The failure occures where the latch pin retaining points are located. There is just not enough material in the assembly to insure they are robust enough. I am on the way back to the dealer this thursday to have the both (failed again) latches replaced once more. Oh, did i mention that I don't use them and no one has been in the back seat or even touched them? Jaguar needs to redesign this flimsy piece. Fortunately I am under warranty but it is still frustrating because the repairs are just remove and replace... they will fail again. As soon as these new ones fail I will call Jag NA and explain my patience has worn thin. I can, as you suggest beef up the week area but Jag will not let me do that while under warranty, however I will be interested in how you do this fix, Thanks

2013 XJL 5.0
Tennessee

Old 05-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H20boy
Mine just popped off while driving the other day, screw still remained in the seatback, but the rest had fallen to the floor. Its lost some of the plastic around where the screw is supposed to be, but i'm pondering a fix, considering a new latch is in the $80 range from our sponsor, Gaudin Jaguar.

I've got some $15 repair magic goo on order, and will document the attempted fix with instructions and pics, if you think its worth doing. I haven't been around this area long enough to know if the latches fall apart that often...I did find the thread from a JF member who's latches 'exploded' more than once, however.

I wasn't going to try this, but after I figured out how to disassemble the latch so I can have front and rear access to the broken area, I decided to attempt it.
I know it's been a few years, but, how did you get the assembly apart? I repaired mine and can't get the screw back in. Thanks, in advance!

Old 05-18-2020, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latch

Mine is broken too and im waitimg for the part from ebay. Has anyone successfully fuxed theirs and if so, how?

Old 01-05-2024, 09:00 PM
Default Tray Table Latch

My latch broke. A small plastic piece fell out and it looked like it was broken. I spoke to the service department at the dealership and was told they cant just replace the latch but would have to replace the entire tray table assembiy at a cost of $900+ USD. I see the part online for about $20 USD. It looks fairly easy to replace but don't know if I should attempt it. Am I missing something? Why does the dealer say the latch alone cannot be replaced?

Originally Posted by Jag52
Hi guys, I am on my 4th set of latches. On two occasions the latch failed as they were delivering the car after the latch repair. The failure occures where the latch pin retaining points are located. There is just not enough material in the assembly to insure they are robust enough. I am on the way back to the dealer this thursday to have the both (failed again) latches replaced once more. Oh, did i mention that I don't use them and no one has been in the back seat or even touched them? Jaguar needs to redesign this flimsy piece. Fortunately I am under warranty but it is still frustrating because the repairs are just remove and replace... they will fail again. As soon as these new ones fail I will call Jag NA and explain my patience has worn thin. I can, as you suggest beef up the week area but Jag will not let me do that while under warranty, however I will be interested in how you do this fix, Thanks

2013 XJL 5.0
Tennessee

Old 02-09-2024, 03:28 PM
Default Tray Table Latch

Originally Posted by dakarf
Mine is broken too and im waitimg for the part from ebay. Has anyone successfully fuxed theirs and if so, how?
How did it work out for you? I am about to order one from ebay,