XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery replacement

After a couple of very cold months (minus 33 the other night) the battery on my 04 VDP needs replacing.

Are there any hints or tips that I need to know of in terms of the replacement battery?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The only hint I have is to make sure you reattach the ventilation tube to the battery very carefully. Mine popped off at some point, resulting in sulfuric acid all over the bottom of the trunk, which peeled eroded some of the coating and made the interior of the car smell very strange.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks for that tip: sulphuric acid everywhere doesn't sound good!

The following users liked this post:
Alvin Burns (02-06-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM

All done: I got a 6" extension for my ratchet driver which helped me undo the bolts holding the battery in. The bolts are 10mm.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

AAA came to me and replaced my battery while I stayed out of the cold. it was about $150.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
The only hint I have is to make sure you reattach the ventilation tube to the battery very carefully. Mine popped off at some point, resulting in sulfuric acid all over the bottom of the trunk, which peeled eroded some of the coating and made the interior of the car smell very strange.

Why would you want to put a liquid acid battery when you can use a dry (maintenance free) battery with no sulfuric acid at all. Check with your local electrician AC Delco are good and affordable and come with 1 full year guarantee. I am sure if you chnage your battery at your jaguar local dealership they will defentaely use a dry battery and never a liquid one.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I 2nd Alan's post , maintenance free batteries are the best ones I can recommend .
AC DElco, Varta, Bosch are all great choices

Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not be confused with what is meant by a maintenance free battery. Maintenance free batteries can contain acid and can leak but the caps do not come off to enable topping up the cells. Then there are dry or gell batteries such as optima which do not contain sulphuric acid and will not spill. I have heard of some applications where they have even been installed upside down.

brdave

Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The main thing to know is that you will need to reboot your parking brake after reconnecting. Start the engine and press the foot brake while pulling up on the parking brake switch. Comments on the vetn tube shoudl be followed. The real reason for the vent tube is to route hydrogen gas outside the car to prevent an explosion. I have nevedr seen a modern battery spit acid out the vent tube but I guess it's possible. I will note that maintenance free batteries have acid in them and it can spill. The only dry battery I know of is the Optima. I use the standard Bosch or similar group 49 battery which is the type that came in the car. Just be sure it has a vent and that it is connected. Be careful of AGM batteries (very rare and made for marine use), the standard alternators in cars do not charge them properly, tehy are very sensitive to charge rate.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I just replaced the factory battery with an Interstate MTP93. Unfortunately the vent connection is oval and the factory hose connector is of course round.

Has anyone here found a solution to this?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I just replaced the factory battery with an Interstate MTP93. Unfortunately the vent connection is oval and the factory hose connector is of course round.

Has anyone here found a solution to this?
Yes, there is a short rubber extension hose - round - that when you squeeze it it goes oval to fit over the oval port, un-squeezed it is round to connect to the round rubber vent hose. It was pretty easy on mine, I have the same battery.
I also noticed that there are various rubber adapters like that available at most auto-parts stores for cheap.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

You did notice that this thread is six-and-a-half years old ?

Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
You did notice that this thread is six-and-a-half years old ?
Yes but at least they searched before posting and if on topic there is no need to start a new thread. I prefer one thread with all of the old posts than having to search and open 10 threads to get the same information.

The following users liked this post:
SWGOH CLONE (06-11-2020)
Old 06-18-2018, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pragmatic
Yes but at least they searched before posting and if on topic there is no need to start a new thread. I prefer one thread with all of the old posts than having to search and open 10 threads to get the same information.
Ditto.

I just put in a new Exide battery but the old hose adapter is too big to fit inside the vent hole (see photo). Where can I buy these adapters? Also, do I need to cap off the other vent hole or can I leave it open?

Old 06-18-2018, 03:53 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Ditto.

I just put in a new Exide battery but the old hose adapter is too big to fit inside the vent hole (see photo). Where can I buy these adapters? Also, do I need to cap off the other vent hole or can I leave it open?
Wolfy, when you purchased the battery, there should have been an elbow in one side and a small plastic plug in the other. These are reversible. You may need to use a small strait tip screwdriver to pry the small plug out of the positive side you wish to insert the vent hose to and place the plug in the open end on the negative post side. (I can see the shoulder of the plug in the photo) The original Jaguar elbow does fit the hole. I use the original elbow on mine. You do not leave the other side open.

Last edited by Box; 06-18-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Ditto.

For a few dollars you can get a package of tube adapters at O'Rilley/ Autozone, NAPA - just about any walk-in Autoparts store. That is what I used..

Cheers!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the adapter tip

Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks for the alert guys. Turns out whoever changed my battery didn't reconnect the overflow. I got this plastic elbow, described as 5mm, from an auto shop.
I guess a boot full of hydrogen might do a good simulation of a Ford Pinto :-)

Old 06-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

Now I've read this forum from end to end, and Box is right that the car is intended for a "Calcium" battery, he even showed the Jaguar USA specs whch say "Silver Calcium".
I don't think my battery is. The issue being that a non-calcium battery might out-gas more due to overcharging.
HOWEVER (direct tests on my own car)
Whilst the charging system raises the battery to 14.8v (Calcium level, ornery batteries should be lower), it only does this for ~5mins from startup and then switches back to ~13.1v which is a very safe floating voltage for any car battery.

Now my battery voltage after sitting for 12hrs or so is around 12.2v (I would expect ~12.5v fully charged), so I have convinced myself that the floating voltage is too low. (but not much I can do about it) Battery is about 3 months old definitely replaced by dealer.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 06-20-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Is it advisable to hook up a new battery to a trickle charger immediately or better to wait for the battery to 'break in'? I drive the car on average about once every 1-2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement