XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Best Application of Battery Trickle Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Application of Battery Trickle Chargers

Hi everyone. I am the proud, new owner of a 2008 black XJR that I purchased in June 2011. I just put the car away for the winter this past Sunday. Living in Minneapolis, the car will be in storage until mid-April. My plan was to use the cigarette lighter-driven trickle charger that I've used for years on my BMW and on my winter car. However, I discovered that the cigarette lighter does not supply any power unless the key is left in ignition position 1. Here are a few questions I'd appreciate input on.

1. Assuming my current trickle charger puts out sufficient charge to keep the battery charged over the winter, is it a problem leaving the key in ignition position 1 all this time? (problem from a battery drainage staindpoint, not a security standpoint)

2. For those of you that have used Battery Tender (I did a little reserach on these forums ahead of time), does the battery tender attach to the battery with clamps, like jumper cables? If so, how safe is leaving that for extended periods of time (risk the clamps come off, fire, etc)

3. For those that have had the battery tender hard wired, how happy were you with the results? If hard-wired to the battery itself, can the tender be easily removed when replacing the battery?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Its a bit different set up with my X-Type but I have my Schumacher tender hooked up to the battery terminals all the time and the unit itself bolted to the back of the battery box. When its parked I just run a cord up from underneath and plug it in. There is a real lack of space to do much else. Works like a charm.

Attached Thumbnails Best Application of Battery Trickle Chargers-tender-001.jpg   Best Application of Battery Trickle Chargers-tender-002.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information! That's pretty similar to what I plan to do, as the dealer recommended hard wiring the battery tender. Sounds like they apply it about 10-12 inches away from the battery, rather than on the battery itself. I'll have to have them show me their exact plan beforehand.

I find it unusual that Jags seem to require the ignition in position 1 before the cigarette lighter will work. I'm guessing this is some sort of electrical drain prevention feature but not quite sure I get the logic behind it.

Anyway, thank you again...sounds like I'm on the right track here.