XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Buying advice 2004 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 08:32 PM
SD1
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying advice 2004 XJR

Hi all, I previously owned an XJ8 and an S type. Liked them both but particularly the XJ. Now have an opportunity to buy an XJR. Its an 04. Has the 4.2L. I know the 4.0 had the cam chain guide issue, and I know the transmissions in the older cars werent that great. I also know the air suspension can be problematic.

The current car has 75k miles and has two known issues. AC not working, owner states its the compressor but cannot articulate why he thinks that. Secondly, has a CEL, he states its a misfire in the #5 cylinder.

Both of those issues sound like $$$. Can you all give me your .02 please?? What is the car worth if I go through it and make it right? Its pretty straight and clean. Carfax shows it was tapped on the rear bumper but clean title and decent service history. No major repairs, fluids mostly.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

read the codes and that will tell a lot

Old 03-11-2021, 08:59 PM
SD1

Originally Posted by xalty
read the codes and that will tell a lot
Its 2 hours away, I will take a scanner with, but I want to have a pretty good idea if I am going to buy it before I commit to driving out there.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:07 PM

Depends on price and if you are a gambling man. Take a scanner that is known to work well with Jaguar x350s. Be ready to walk away. Id been looking for an xj for a long time and had to drive out to be disappointed many times.
codes will tell you if its likely an issue with a spark plug or coil pack or worse. As far as the AC goes, think of the climate in your area. Do you live in a fair climate where having an AC isnt needed, or is it a hot as hell climate? If its hot as well, expect the ac isnt just a compressor but maybe more problematic.

My rule of thumb the moment the seller lies or says something you find untrue, walk away.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:11 PM
SD1

I agree with you. I am in San Diego, but the car is def. going to be in Phoenix as well and summer here is not quite hades, but you need AC. He is asking $5500 for the car, looking around (nationally) they are all over the road as far as price, but a lot more on the low end.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SD1
I agree with you. I am in San Diego, but the car is def. going to be in Phoenix as well and summer here is not quite hades, but you need AC. He is asking $5500 for the car, looking around (nationally) they are all over the road as far as price, but a lot more on the low end.
What I meant was the location where the car is.
If it's hot as heck, I would imagine the owner would of tried to fix the AC and was told it would be too expensive not just a compressor. If it's fair weather, it's possible they may have just lived with it.

Yeah prices on these cars are all over but for the most part they follow condition, records, and history. Once you take these into consideration, prices may start to make more sense.
Low mileage brings in an exponential increase in price. For example a good exterior/interior/mechanical with 100k-120k miles will run about 8k. While a lower mileage car with an equally good exterior/interior/mechanical but say 50k or under can easily fetch $12k-$14k. These prices can vary if the owner can provide excellent records obviously.

Usually just about anything engine or transmission related CEL on a XJ x350 automatically means you will be the bottom end of the barrel in price. Could be something as simple as the spark plugs for the misfire or something else like a worn piston ring allowing oil inside the cylinder which is causing misfiring.

$5500 I feel might be a bit high without a proper professional inspection at minimum.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:22 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

SD1 - a.k.a. Sandy Eggo (LOL)

I agree with LuisJag about price of that car, even if the engine problem is "minor", $5,500 seems high with a $650 AC problem and a engine misfire. No thanks.
And Luis is correct re price and miles, sorted ones are 8K with normal miles, higher 3-4K higher with low miles in general.

I've owned my 05 super V8 3 years, bought for 7250, 134K miles now 156, and have sorted the entire suspension, bent rims, coolant leak in valley hose, replacing air with traditional shocks, rearview mirrors rotted out and now an oil leak being diagnosed as we speak. Rotors, brakes, calipers b/c one was stick, 700 etc for the front. Plus auxiliary water pump and door actuators - car heats now but still no heat flow to windscreen, meaning heater core still needs done. Recently also had tie rods replaced, and found brake lines deteriorated - $200 each from Jag dealer. Fun.

None of the above is unusual maintenance for a car of its age, it just wasn't done and so it's just playing catch-up.Plus the car you'r looking already has outright 2 expensive repairs. So you need to be realistic and look at the whole car, not just what those 2 obvious problems are going to cost.

Therefore IMHO and experience, $5,500 is way too high and there are better examples everywhere. Heck, the famed Jackra XJR went for only 8K, and it was a real beast in perfect order.
Think ----

How much is an AC compressor? and your time if you do the work but especially if you don't? --- $5,500 + (600 to $800) = $6,100 plus + misfire =
Are the suspension bushings in GOOD shape? if not then this car becomes way too expensive at just about any price.
Read the sticky on this site re what to look out for in an x350 - I have encountered MANY/MOST of those problems.
75K and no major repairs? Fluids mostly? Hopefully it's the important ones - Trans., Diff., Coolant, S/C oil, - Belts need done soon. How new is the battery - poor battery = loopy electronics of all kinds. And on and on.

For me $5,500 is way too high. There must be better examples.

I'm about to buy an 04 XJ8 for 7K here in ohio, owner has 16K in, paid 3K for car that sat for 8 years in WV. Beautiful car, heater core fixed, AC fixed, new tires, new battery, O2 sensors, parking sensors, bulbs, headliner, perfect interior, no paint blames, and on and on

These's a XJR listed on this site in Chicago for now 13,500 - for another *K read what's been done to that car and guaranteed you'll spend way more than that on the one you're looking at.

I'm being a little harsh, but this is the real world of Jag ownership - and what's worse you're not likely to get much of your money back by selling. The one in Chicago has ben listed since last October.

But you've owned 2 of them and don't seem daunted by this reality.

The unfortunate thing about this is I LOVE my big black super V8, especially when it goes 120 really easy. Oh well, it's only money.
Mike.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Never buy cars with CEL illuminated ! This guy can't be bothered to fix his car, but still wants good money for it. At 75k miles, which is not a lot for a 2004, it is likely going to need some suspension bushes replaced. These are not expensive on their own, it is the labour to fix that costs you.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:28 AM
SD1

Thanks for the info, after digesting the info and reading your replies, I agree. If its going to be a gamble, I should pay accordingly, probably going to let this one go, not a lot of motivation to inherit a problem, The AC issue is really a non starter. I appreciate the feedback!

Old 03-12-2021, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

A misfire is probably just a coil, spark plug or failed injector.-all an easy fix

Ac could be just a gas leak.

75k miles is low.
Sounds worth considering IMO

Old 03-13-2021, 12:12 AM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

I am reluctantly forced to agree with Fraser (due to recent experience)
Suspension bushes likely need replacing if they haven't been already.
Not being DIY, the bushes weren't that expensive, but the labour ahh you don't wanna know.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:55 AM

Wishbone bushings are the control arms correct?

Old 03-13-2021, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisJag
Wishbone bushings are the control arms correct?
Correct. Wishbones is the UK word also used in Commonwealth countries around the globe

Old 03-14-2021, 11:59 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

These looked great to me, but wrack them with a screwdriver and the rubber is broken.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:44 PM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts

If you're still looking for an XJR, strongly suggest find a late '06 or better (H+ VIN)

Any XJR will need maint dollars; might as well invest 'em in a car with way fewer potential issues...eg, X356

Old 03-20-2021, 08:07 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

In this case, you can just about assume that the owner has a pretty fair idea of what's wrong with the vehicle which is why he's trying to peddle it . If he said that the air compressor needed to be replaced, you can be reasonably sure that someone had previously diagnosed the problem right down to the compressor. In fact, I can believe it as the air compressor in my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L does leak a little bit of refrigerant, but not so much that I can't recharge the system every summer. Actually, he was certainly being straightforward enough when he mentioned that the No. 5 cylinder was misfiring, but a potential buyer would assume all the risk at that point. What you're really looking at here is a non functioning drive train and air conditioning system, and perhaps some suspension issues as well. Personally, I would pass on that vehicle.

Last edited by Rickkk; 03-20-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:45 AM
SD1

Hi all, here is an update. I took the time to go out and look at the car, it was just shy of a 4 hour round trip..... and..... oh boy. The car belonged to an older gentleman who had passed away and his son in law who was a friend of a friend was handling the sale. He had sent me pictures of the car that turned out NOT to be the actual car. Albeit the same color and maybe the same year BUT, the actual car for sale was no where near the condition of the car in the pictures. I was back in my car headed home in about 5 minutes. The car was a mess. I was pretty stung at the time. I regret that I didnt take pictures, but if you can imagine, as I drove up the car was sitting in the driveway and I could see the moment I saw it, I did not even need to get out of the car. I wound up taking my girlfriend to a nice lunch at a winery, this was in Temecula CA for those familiar. So I was able to make lemonade and we had a nice outing and looking back it was a bit comical. Appreciate the comments and cautions!

The following users liked this post:
xalty (03-21-2021)