XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Correct rear sunblind posture

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Correct rear sunblind posture

In the stored position, is the rear sunblind completely concealed? I recently got my car (2005 XJ8 Vanden Plas) out of the shop. Previously, I kept the sunblind in the up position. I can not remember if it totally disappears when down or if it folds over the parcel shelf, as it does now. See photo.

If it should be completely concealed, what is causing this? Can’t imagine that this is the correct stored position, although the shade appears to be operating fine, otherwise.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Looks as if the fabric is folding, instead of dropping down, into the opening with the frame.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

The fabric (all of it) is supposed to go into the recess when closed. I would open it and lube the channels then have someone press the button while you manually guide the fabric back into the channel.

I personally leave mine extended as well but cycle it once or twice monthly to keep things in check.

The following users liked this post:
staggerlee51 (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanks, abonano. I will try that if I can figure out how to get the guard off!

Old 03-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the fabric winds around a spring loaded drum. I bet the drum is no longer turning and causing your problem. The again I could be talking crap as I am in hospital with pneumonia and a temp of 39 degrees C!

staggerlee51 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Thanks, JoeDredd...Get well soon!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:22 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks, and I can recommend not catching pneumonia it sucks.

Just wondering if you disconnected the battery while it was opening you may be able to stop it in a position that would leave the fabric flopy. Then you could jiggle it a bit to see if it would start winding up again.

I hope that makes sense.!

Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 AM

The fabric is now plenty floppy from my tucking on it. More jingling would not seem to do much other than release more fabric that will still not re-wind. The fabric in the “Up” position is less taunt than when I started...it is downright droopy. I sprayed WD-40 down the channel when the shade was “Up”...that seemed to have no consequence. If I could just get the assembly out without taking out the shelf and other parts, I would try to re-roll the fabric.

I hate it when things do not work! It opens th3 door to other problem areas! Before you know it, you have a beautiful shell with nothing working!

Old 03-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

This can be tackled in about an hour to get the assembly out - plus whatever time is needed resolving the roller spring issue. It is spring loaded like a window blind, and reasonably durable - except when it isn't as you are aware.

Here's the good part. If you muster the courage to pull it apart, I may have a spare sunbind you can have if it's not too much for you to cover the shipping - If you are across the pond it may not be worth it, but a replacement assembly is some $750 if I recall, and that's assuming its available, with the right trim color for the top cover band of painted metal.

It is a bit of work to disassemble - mostly just getting the rear seat removed. Not complicated, but a genuine pain, finding the seat base releases (4 triangular tabs that get pushed in one direction, making sure to prop something to keep released tabs from re-engaging whilst you lift the other side of the seat. Then removing the center shoulder belt anchor, then releasing the seat back (the bottom of the frame sits in several channels on the bottom, so you free up the top, use two pull cords to release it, and lean the top away from the rear deck, then lift up get it up out of the bottom channels and out the door. NOTE: IF you have rear seat heat pads, be mindful to detach the plugs for the seat bottom (2) and the seat back (2)

The rear deck panel is relatively easy, although you do have to detach (but not remove) the rear quarter fabric panels that match the headliner, and just leave them to the side (the seat belts go through them) then the rear deck/package tray will have room to come out. The entire sunshade mechanism, roller, arms and motor is all bolted to the rear panel. Disconnect a single plug and any wiring clips present. That's it. The sunshade is out, and you can properly diagnose its state.

ANYONE who has the sunshade option - XJ8L, Vanden Plas, Super V8, XJR, occasionally a stand alone option - should attempt to lubricate it - without getting amess on the netting - perhaps a dry lubricant that goes on with a solvent that evaporates, and cycle it regularly - they seem to be prone to seizing if left in one position for long periods. Ask me how I know!

I completely understand your reluctance to pull things apart, and this car has a fair share of tricky service items. Jaguar is guilty of having "disassembly disdain" in their engineering group - any vehicle that's build design that requires the brake booster, and/or master brake cylinder to be removed to service a wiper motor, presents a good case of "end user contempt" - or perhaps just short sighted design in my opinion)

staggerlee51 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Blairware, thank you for the detailed instructions and the offer of your spare! Truly sounds like you have taken that route before! I don’t know that I have the courage to take this on alone. May have to join a Jaguar club where we could assist each other with such projects. I think some courageous soul is more deserving of your spare! May try tugging a bit more on the fabric since I now know more about the operation of the roller. Perhaps, the spring will kick in! If not, I will keep the shade up until I assemble my team!

Old 03-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like a plan! I agree that some of these tasks sound daunting, and can actually be difficult if it's not your thing. A friend observed "I remember you as a child. You were always disassembling your toys!" I learn lots of things the hard way - by breaking stuff. It's only AFTER you break ALL the clips holding a panel on, after you see the BACK of the clip and how to remove it, and then your view shows you didn't even need to unclip it. When my abilities fall woefully short of the task at hand, I back off and consider my options. Surely this is what my wife means when she says "You need professional help", right?

Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Seems like a quark some of us seem to have been born with.
Depending on your perspective, its a blessing or a curse.
I choose the blessing perspective.
Sadly i too often curse, in the process of enjoying the blessing.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:15 PM

So I cycled my sun blind a few times yesterday and it binded up once or twice like yours did.

What I did was opened up the sun shade to full extend and pushed the center of the sun blind as I pressed the button to lower it and that did the trick for it to fully retract.

Worth a try...

Old 03-13-2019, 04:30 AM

Very interesting, abonano! Please, elaborate regarding “pushed the center of the sun blind”. What exactly did you do?

And to wingrider and Blairware, I have countless times seeked perfection by attempting to correct a minor flaw and ended with a major flaw. Pursuit of perfection can, indeed, be a curse as well as a blessing. I believe the expression is “leaving well enough alone”! Alas, we are waxing philosophically! I am game for pushing the center of the sun blind, as soon as I can understand exactly what abonano did!

Last edited by staggerlee51; 03-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Guessing he was holding it against the frame as it retracted down.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by staggerlee51
Very interesting, abonano! Please, elaborate regarding “pushed the center of the sun blind”. What exactly did you do?

And to wingrider and Blairware, I have countless times seeked perfection by attempting to correct a minor flaw and ended with a major flaw. Pursuit of perfection can, indeed, be a curse as well as a blessing. I believe the expression is “leaving well enough alone”! Alas, we are waxing philosophically! I am game for pushing the center of the sun blind, as soon as I can understand exactly what abonano did!
What I did was the following:

Sun blind extended fully open. I pushed the center mesh towards the rear glass while pressing the button. It makes the edges of the sun blind tight and it retracted fully...

Old 03-14-2019, 03:43 AM

Hmmm...OK...will try that! So far, just pushing the center of the top frame did not produce the desired result. Just like medical issues, try all non-invasive approaches before surgery!

Old 03-14-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by staggerlee51
Hmmm...OK...will try that! So far, just pushing the center of the top frame did not produce the desired result. Just like medical issues, try all non-invasive approaches before surgery!
Just toreiterate, not the center of the frame but the center of the mesh screen,

Old 03-14-2019, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Push the screen toward the rear window, is another way to say it.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Push the screen toward the rear window, is another way to say it.
Yeah, long day. Just trying to help

staggerlee51 (03-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Correct rear sunblind posture