XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Detailing my XJ8 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Detailing my XJ8 VDP

I purchased this car in Oct last year and have been fixing every single blemish I can find. The rear passenger outer door handle has some crinkles in the chrome so I intend replacing it. Problem right now is how does the inner trim panel come off. The CD is so vague and I don’t want to damage the inner panel by struggling with it.

So far I have removed the screw in the inner door panel. The two screws under the arm rest and the other two under the map pocket. I found another in the out trim panel the one that runs down each side and along the bottom.

Question are there any I have missed and does the out trim part, (the part down each side and along the bottom) come out with the rest or the panel or are they separate pieces. In addition how does the inner handle work into all this?
Thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM

I should not be disappointed with not getting any answers here. This is the forth Jaguar web site that I have asked this question on and I have not received a single answer from any of them.

Guess I am back to relying on my own intuition as I usually do in these circumstances.

I had another question about the removal of the centre panel but would probably be best to forget asking that one.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

If you're not too impatient, I can go and load my JTIS disc on my other computer, as it wont load on this laptop running Win 7, (older one is Win XP). However, it's getting late here in the UK so probably tomorrow now.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 PM

I most certainly would appreciate you doing so. I have a service CD but it does not explain very well. I am totally at a loss on this. Not sure if the outside trim piece (runs down each side and across the bottom) comes off with the card and whether or not you lift up or just pull on it to release whatever clips are there. Whatever it seems awfully tight.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Bob, I have found answers to every question posed here. Obviously the more common the problem, the more people with answers.
On the X308, the was a major clip central to the panel that held on the door card. It was easier after pulling up the edges, to lie under the door and unscrew the retaining screw on the clip.

Unfortunately, I do not know the inside yet of the X350.
While I have not pulled the trill on this model, I am interested as I also have the plastic chrome wrinkles too. I wish I could shrink it back on.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,421 Posts

You need to remove the door panel. You have already found the screws now you just need to pry it off, it will take some force to do so.

Check some of the threads regarding repairing door speakers if you want some reassurance.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

OK, here is the info promised. I hope Jaguar dont mide me copying a bit of it. You seem to have done most of it, from reading your post.

Front Door Trim Panel
Remove the front door interior handle retaining screw cover - found at back of the handle recess.
Remove the front door interior handle retaining screw. – underneath the screw cover
Remove the front door trim panel retaining screws. – three of – two below the door pull handle (where the window switches are installed), one at bottom-middle of trim panel, (according to the pic), but probably on the bottom face of the door panel
Detach the front door door trim panel. – pic shows eight locating points, three along top, one is about 2/3rds down the front edge, two along rear edge, and two along bottom.
Detach the front door interior handle cable.
Remove the front door interior handle cable.
Remove the front door trim panel.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
To re-install, reverse the removal procedure.

Attached Thumbnails Detailing my XJ8 VDP-x350-door-clip-positions.jpg  
Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
I should not be disappointed with not getting any answers here. This is the forth Jaguar web site that I have asked this question on and I have not received a single answer from any of them.

Guess I am back to relying on my own intuition as I usually do in these circumstances.

I had another question about the removal of the centre panel but would probably be best to forget asking that one.
The guys are not full time paid employees. And you posted over a weekend when quite a few of the experts would be maybe spending time with families or out and about with their Jags, rather than in front of a PC.

All we ask, is a little patience, tolerance, and good humour.

You will receive a reply to a concise question, as you have done here, with a very detailed one from Fraser.

Have you followed Fraser's advice? It would be good to know if it has helped you. He posted over 4 hours ago!

Thanks again Fraser. (PS, if you are still having an install Prb with JTIS drop Jim Lombardi a PM, he will walk you through the Win7 64bit/home/pro/whatever. It now most certainly works on these platforms).

Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM

My internet connection has been down until just now 3:20 PM and I have only just been able to re-connect so have not tried anything yet. I very much appreciate the replies though. I am hoping that the very detailed instructions that Fraser has given also applies to the rear door which is the one I am currently working on. I will certainly let you all know what the results are.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Nope it still will not budge. If I pull any harder on it something is going to break or get damaged. I have also phoned Jaguar Canada and they said they cannot tell me how to do it for liability reasons however they told me I can purchase the information from Jaguartechinfo.com.
I love it when you phone a dealership and ask them and you are told they are not sure. However if I was to let them have the car, they will fix whatever it is for me. Are they out of their minds, why would I allow them to experiment on my car when they have already admitted to me they don't know what they are doing?
I also asked Jaguar Canada if I could purchase a parts manual/CD from them and they told me it was not available to the public. This is not the helpful customer oriented Jaguar that I have known from the past. Not so sure I very much like it either.

Have a feeling I will not be keeping this car very long.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,486 Likes on 907 Posts

You don't mention which 'CD' you have but the attached instructions seem reasonably clear.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RearDoorPanel.pdf (149.7 KB, 223 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Yes that is the one I have and normally I would agree with you. However I have a hard plastic trim piece the runs down each side and along the bottom of my door panels. The CD does not even mention anything about this piece nor does it show it anywhere in the drawings.

I need to know if this is part of the door panel or does it stay in place and the actual removable door panel being just the inner part (the leather covered part).

I want to take a minute to thank everybody that is trying to help me with this, very much appreciate everyone’s contribution.

I have never before got as this frustrated with anything else in my life. Even all the electrical problems I experienced with my last X300 was easier to handle than this and I hate electrical problems. I just want to change the damn crinkled handle on this car because it looks like crap on an otherwise gorgeous car.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Those instructions are correct as that is exactly how I removed the panels in minutes. As I mentioned before, it takes some force and a panel pry tool to unsnap the plastics clips.

IF you are uncomfortable with this procedure I understand and would advise taking it to your nearest Jaguar dealer, perhaps for a small amount they will remove one panel for you and you will then be able to see for yourself what it will take to remove the other three.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,486 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
However I have a hard plastic trim piece the runs down each side and along the bottom of my door panels.
I see what you mean by the plastic trim. I seem to have turned in to an arm chair mechanic though with my X350 so haven't taken a door trim off but I did find these extra instructions in another document:

Rear Door Panel
Lower window to lowest point to aid panel removal
Puncture plastic cap inside rear door handle (new cover required)
Remove two screws in armrest going through panel towards door
Remove plastic screw from lower edge of rear panel (through panel in an upward direction into a plastic block)
Remove plastic block (plastic screw spreads block to retain lower panel edge)
Ease panel from door starting at one of the upper corners (do not use any trim tools)
o Door with blind fitted start at upper LH corner first (fit this first when replacing)
o Door with no blind fitted start at RH corner first (stronger due to more material)
Disconnect inner door release lever cable
Remove plastic door module / water shedder and wiring harness with grommet to module /shedder (if clips retaining wiring harness do not grip module pegs use adhesive to retain)

Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Reading all this, I went out to my car and had a look at the rear door, and Lo, there is the rigid plastic piece surrounding the trim panel, with two 'buttons' covering securing screws. So I delved further into JTIS and now add the following pics. From what I can see the visible plastic piece is part of the door inner weathershield which lies underneath the trim panel. Look at the heavy line showing the outline of the weather shield, you'll see that is seems to encompass the visible part around the trim panel.

OK, except the visible screw holes on this piece don't seem to appear in the picture. Of course, the Jaguar illustrators could be wrong, heaven forbid !!

BTW, the inner door seal has to be removed before any serious work can be done inside the door, like lift motors and door latches.

So as far as I can see, the trim panel just lifts off once all the screws are undone, and the securing clips released, this latter seems to be what is making Peddlarbob nervous. Once the trim panel is off the inner door seal will be revealed in all its glory.

Attached Thumbnails Detailing my XJ8 VDP-x350-rear-door-inner-weather-shield.jpg   Detailing my XJ8 VDP-x350-rear-door-clip-positions.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 AM

Thank you Fraser. I will get onto trying that out just a soon as I have all the grass cut around this place. Cannot play with the Jaguar until all my household jobs are done.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Fraser you were absolutely right. The leather clad part is the only part that pulls off leaving behind the hard plastic flange which is part of the door seal mounted behind the door card. So glad I stopped pulling on the damn thing otherwise it would have ended up being damaged requiring replacement at great cost.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Another happy customer. Hey, I'll have to put a bill in for this, (only kidding !!), I'm a retired railwayman, and that's another story.