XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engine tap when cold start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Engine tap when cold start

Recently change the oil and filter, synthetic castrol 5 w 30 and jaguar filter, now on cold start I get a metallic tapping for a few minutes, once engine warms up it is quiet, Did not have this problem before oil change, car has 95.000 miles was thinking of changing the oil filter but I have never heard of them being defective,, anyone got any ideas ?
thanks in advance
Dave

Old 04-30-2019, 03:40 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

When was the last time that you changed the engine oil? Perhaps it might be prudent to give the car another oil change.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Old oil was synthetic and was in 12 months, only covered 5,100 miles in that period, you might have a point so will change it tomorrow however yesterday I replaced the new jaguar oil filter with a fram oil filter and this morning the tapping was not as loud and quietened a lot quicker, when warmed up the engine is quiet and the performance is good, I gave it a good run today so will see wots wot tomorrow,
regards
Dave,

Old 04-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

I simply use Valvoline 5W-30 conventional motor oil (and a Jaguar oil filter) with my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L as Valvoline is the best conventional motor oil on the market. In fact, I will note that the 2005 Jaguar XJ8L owner's manual did not specifically recommend synthetic motor oil, and that's partly why I simply preferred to stick with the conventional motor oil. Of course, with conventional oil, you would need to change the engine oil every 3,000 miles or every 6 months. Unless you plan on racing the Jaguar in the Indianapolis 500, Valvoline 5W-30 conventional motor oil will be plenty fine.

Personally, I used Castrol conventional motor oil in the past, but it didn't seem to measure up to Valvoline conventional motor oil. However, it might be a different story with the synthetic blends.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:19 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Hi Dave,

Please help us think through your issue by telling us the year, model and engine of your Jaguar. There may be more going on than meets the eye, but it will help to know the details of your car.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (04-30-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:24 AM

Hi Don its a 2007 xj8 4.2ltr engine it has just over 94,000 miles on it, I have always used synthetic oil on it and up till last year changed it twice a year, last year was the first time I left it for 12 months because of the low miles I do now I am retired, my nephew is a jaguar technician and gives me a hard time for using synthetic and changing it so often , I will be changing the oil today , weather permitting , thinking I might try conventional oil this time,
regards
Dave,

Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by dvjag
Hi Don its a 2007 xj8 4.2ltr engine it has just over 94,000 miles on it, I have always used synthetic oil on it and up till last year changed it twice a year, last year was the first time I left it for 12 months because of the low miles I do now I am retired, my nephew is a jaguar technician and gives me a hard time for using synthetic and changing it so often , I will be changing the oil today , weather permitting , thinking I might try conventional oil this time,
Hi Dave,

Just thinking out loud:

I assume you've double- and triple-checked that the oil level is full.

I assume you used a quality oil filter correct for your car. The Jaguar filters are made by Mann and Visteon and have anti-drain-back valves and bypass valves. Other brands known to include these important features are Wix and Mobil 1.

If you've had especially cold weather, the Driver's Handbook gives the option of using 0W-30 or 0W-40 weight oil, but those weights are generally only available in synthetic oils.

Did the metallic tapping at startup begin immediately after the oil change, or at some later point? The events may or may not be associated.

Is the tapping from only one side of the engine or from both?

Is there any "rattle" sound prior to the onset of the tapping? If so, you might suspect a timing chain tensioner.

The bucket tappets/lifters can sometimes sludge up and not move freely. A solution that worked for me for years was CD2 oil detergent, but that product has been discontinued. I've been trying Rislone oil treatments but so far I'm not sure they work as well as CD2.

Belt tensioner pulleys can become noisy in various ways, including recurring taps or squeaks. The same with electric motors, such as the cooling fan motor.

An inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope may help you pinpoint the source of the noise. Just take care not to touch the probe to any moving parts such as pulleys, belts or fans.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-01-2019 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
paydase (05-09-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Hi Don, oil level spot on , checked it and double checked it,
before I go on,,,, this morning bright and early, car started first turn of the key as usual, heard a couple of taps then quiet,,but fast idle was a bit rough for a few mins then it settled down,,, went out to take grandkids to school round trip of 30 miles, gave it the beans a couple of times, don't do that very often being and old f... my grandkids tell me I drive like and old granny,,got home and engine was quiet but I did notice if I blip the accelerator I can hear a clacking sound, I think it might be the belt tensioner, not sure if it is related to the tapping I was getting,,not as straight forward job as on my old 98 vdp,,
The tapping started first cold start after oil change,
I had a jaguar oil filter bought from dealership, I replaced it with a fram filter and first cold start the tapping wasn't as bad, strange,,
I have one of those mechanics stethoscopes, your right, have to be careful poking around moving parts, ask me how I know lol
have never been able to pinpoint the noise, no rattle at start up, I know what that is like had it on my old vdp,
I was going to do another oil change but I think I will wait and see how it does tomorrow ,
anyhow, thanks for the help will keep you up to date,
regards
Dave,

Old 05-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

"grandkids tell me I drive like and old granny"

Tell them "This is a limousine!"

Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 PM

The girl is 13 going on 30 and does not listen, the boy is 10 and I have him indoctrinated into jaguars, even wears a jaguar ball cap to school , good lad, pity he supports Tottenham Hotspur like his father, where did I go wrong lol