XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

First outing this year.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default First outing this year.

The nice weather has finally arrived here in Ontario, Canada. So I took my Jag out of hibernation and gave it a quick blast down to Ottawa and back. First trip of the year. An 8 hour 590 miletrek there and back. Everything went well except some dick head who decided to change lanes on the highway without looking and attempted to push me into a ditch. Love this car, I just stepped on the loud pedal to get myself out of trouble and he disappeared in my rear view mirror never to be seen again.

On the way down I was just sitting there aiming the car down the highway and so started to explore the interior, 75 MPH on the highway started to seem so slow and boring. Anyway I discovered this switch on the back of the steering wheel that I had no idea what it was for. I did not want to start switching stuff without knowing what the consequences were going to be. Although really tempted, I managed to put off trying it until was actually in Ottawa. Found out it changed the CD tracks. Both interesting and disappointing. I thought perhaps it would fire up the passenger seat ejector or something else as exotic as leaving an oil slick behind me, but no such luck.

Anyway I averaged 75 MPH with a gas mileage of 33.7 MPG Imperial. Not at all bad. Have I said that I absolutely love this car?

Last edited by peddlarbob; 04-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Bob

Nice to hear a good story with no air suspension faults in it :-)

Those magic buttons do a variety of things depending on what the main nav screen is doing....... when you have the screen in "PHONE" mode, toggling those switches moves you up and down your phone book. When in "AM" or "FM" mode they toggle you up and down through your preset stations. If you are on "CDC" (CD multi changer) if you long press those switches it will go up or down discs for you.

Personally I love how Jaguar manages to put so much complexity into the car without showering it with 8 million buttons like a Merc has. Heck, you're a Jag guy obviously and you didn't find these buttons till recently as they are so well blended into the car :-)

If you have ACC and Forward Alert (You mention fully optioned, so I assume yes) there is an identical set of buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel that let you change the forward alert trigger distance or the ACC following distance

The following users liked this post:
peddlarbob (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
@Bob

Heck, you're a Jag guy obviously and you didn't find these buttons till recently as they are so well blended into the car :-)

If you have ACC and Forward Alert (You mention fully optioned, so I assume yes) there is an identical set of buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel that let you change the forward alert trigger distance or the ACC following distance
Well I found them and was waiting to read my operators manual to find out what they were. Did not want to push my luck by trying them when driving.

So thanks for the information.