XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Greeting from the neighbors and needs a couple of advice on newly acquired 2004 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Greeting from the neighbors and needs a couple of advice on newly acquired 2004 XJR

Hi Folks, A long time Jaguarian from the XK8 world, I just got myself a 2004 XJR 150K miles for cheap, runs well except for a few things:

Control arm totally ripped out...easy...I am replacing those
AC doesn't blow cold ...but I'll get a shop recharged it and hopefully it's not leaking.
Will change tranny fluid and filter with Mercon SP
Change out supercharger oil.

Here are the section that I need advice on:

1. I noticed pretty bad oil leaks that would trails driving from the driveway to garage from my research about this car, the oil pan gasket is notorious for leaking, however when I look underneath, is that the upper Oil pan Gasket leaking as well??
How hard is it to fix? is there any direction on this forum?

2. The last picture shows Supercharger shows a lot of grimes from what appears to be gaskets...looks simple to change (4 bolts) can you guys confirm this? also any direction on part number would be much appreciated

Thanks Guys...as always I can count the Jaguar forum to help me out :-)

Notice the upper part of the oil pan, looks wet

Look at the gaskets on the SC

Old 10-11-2018, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

I am replying to your post but I don't have any answers except:

The oil above the filter could well be from the supercharger leak at the top of the engine.
I suggest that you may want to have the engine steam cleaned (not water) and then
you will be able to see more clearly what you are dealing with.

The people who do car detailing may be able to advise you on this to avoid any electrical problems.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Received 239 Likes on 148 Posts

Zidjan, first of all congratulations on the buy.

Its hard to tell by just these pictures what the issues could be, but I will try to answer your questions as best as possible.

1. I noticed pretty bad oil leaks that would trails driving from the driveway to garage from my research about this car, the oil pan gasket is notorious for leaking, however when I look underneath, is that the upper Oil pan Gasket leaking as well??
How hard is it to fix? is there any direction on this forum?

-It does seem like you have oil leaking from above the oil pan for sure. Where its coming from, could be several places. If you are mechanically inclined, it wont be anything terrible. Once these cars get up in miles, a lot of the rubber gaskets become hard and brittle and will leak (any car, really). The cost for the gaskets wont run too much either if you source them on Ebay. If you have a leak coming from your valve covers, supercharger, vac hoses, you should see bank 1/bank2 too lean codes. If you don't have that, and your fuel trims are normal, then you might be ok. !!!The first thing I would start with is cleaning the engine up safely like meirion said. Once its clean you will be able to identify the origin of the leaks when they start to leak again!!!!

2. The last picture shows Supercharger shows a lot of grimes from what appears to be gaskets...looks simple to change (4 bolts) can you guys confirm this? also any direction on part number would be much appreciated

-These are simple to change:Manufacturer Part Number:

AJ86892

Will run about 90 bucks for the set.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Yes Thank you for the advice, I am moderately handy with cars...I have an XK8 that I worked on myself as well...I am just getting to know the XJR and I appreciate the advice....I will clean the underneath pronto hopefully I can find the source soon.

I'll be back to report any findings and updates

Old 10-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

What control arms? I have 2 new jaguar oem front uppers, and 2 curved arms i already pressed in new oem bushings, front sway bar bushings and the front lower later arm bushings. So basically a new front suspension.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
What control arms? I have 2 new jaguar oem front uppers, and 2 curved arms i already pressed in new oem bushings, front sway bar bushings and the front lower later arm bushings. So basically a new front suspension.
Upper control arms..the ball joints are totally ripped ..the rest of the rubber parts seems ok although I am sure it could use a total overhaul..but I am focusing on the leaks first.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by zidjan
Upper control arms..the ball joints are totally ripped ..the rest of the rubber parts seems ok although I am sure it could use a total overhaul..but I am focusing on the leaks first.
If the steel balljoints are OK, why not just replace the rubber boots ? There are internet suppliers of these, but you do need the measurements of each end of the boot.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
If the steel balljoints are OK, why not just replace the rubber boots ? There are internet suppliers of these, but you do need the measurements of each end of the boot.
hmm...i didn't think about that although I'm not sure how to measure the ball joint unless they're already made available for the car...i already ordered the control arms though theyre not that bad pricewise compared to xk8