XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default headlight restoration

Maguire makes a liquid called "headlight restorer." It works. I've spent hours machine polishing, but now use this product. Not talking about deeply faded/beaten lenses, mine were recently mildly hazed over. Used on fogs and trying on taillights also. A labor saver and you get to use it every so often. Good deal.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have to apply with a buffer or is it all by hand?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:50 AM

By hand w a micro fiber towelettes, apply let sit a few minutes, wipe off. My headlights look pristine. Redo every 3 mos.?

Old 06-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

If you dont apply a new clear coat after restoration you will be doing it again and again.

While the restoration procedure is the same a professional will apply a clear resin coat which has UV protection. The reason this is not in the kit is this coating is expensive.

I had my lights restored about a month ago. It cost $125. Normally $100 but paid and extra $25 for the call out as Im in a rural area

With the coating the lamps will last around 6-8 years in the tropical sun. Without it would be 1-2 months

Here is a link to a kit with uv resin included.
Professional Headlight Restoration Kit | www.liquidresins.com

Here is a link for just the uv resin
Welcome to Diamondite® The Ultimate Glass and Plastic Care Systems.

Cheers
34by151

Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 34by151
If you dont apply a new clear coat after restoration you will be doing it again and again.

While the restoration procedure is the same a professional will apply a clear resin coat which has UV protection. The reason this is not in the kit is this coating is expensive.

I had my lights restored about a month ago. It cost $125. Normally $100 but paid and extra $25 for the call out as Im in a rural area

With the coating the lamps will last around 6-8 years in the tropical sun. Without it would be 1-2 months

Here is a link to a kit with uv resin included.
Professional Headlight Restoration Kit www.liquidresins.com

Here is a link for just the uv resin
Welcome to Diamondite® The Ultimate Glass and Plastic Care Systems.

Cheers
34by151
Not quite sure what the Meguirs does, except that it works and is simple to use

Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

The I was making was that if you did not apply a clear epoxy coating that has UV protection you have actually made the lamps worse.

By polishing the surface to remove the glare you have removed the OEM coating
It will now blur very quickly as it has no protection.
Every time you do it again your thinning down the surface

This is the kind of thing a used car dealer does because the car is gone before he has to fix it.

Its up to you but I strongly advise you to put a clear coat on

Cheers
34by151

Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 PM

The I was making was that if you did not apply a clear epoxy coating that has UV protection you have actually made the lamps worse.

By polishing the surface to remove the glare you have removed the OEM coating
It will now blur very quickly as it has no protection.
Every time you do it again your thinning down the surface

This is the kind of thing a used car dealer does because the car is gone before he has to fix it.

Its up to you but I strongly advise you to put a clear coat on

Cheers
34by151
Not a used car dealer. Have been using this product for quite a while, have replaced lenses too far gone in the past. Product works, don't think it takes anything off. Just trying to help other owners. Meguiars is well known in US. Why not contact them directly and give out your direct expertise to them for their products. I'm sure that they would love to hear from you.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

If you have removed the oxidation on the lamp you have removed some of the lamp surface. There is no getting around that.

The OEM puts a clear coat on as a protection for the plastic against UV damage. This is what eventually hazes. The coating is expected to last 10+ years

As you stated "redo every 3 months". It should last 10+ years.
The reason for 3 months, no UV protection
Now that you have no protection at all, glassing will be on the plastic not the clear.
It will get harder to repair and take more and more off the plastic surface.

Im not having a go at you, its your car do what you like.
Other owners may benefit on how to do it correctly.

Cheers
34by151

Last edited by 34by151; 06-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 PM

If you have removed the oxidation on the lamp you have removed some of the lamp surface. There is no getting around that.

The OEM puts a clear coat on as a protection for the plastic against UV damage. This is what eventually hazes. The coating is expected to last 10+ years

As you stated "redo every 3 months". It should last 10+ years.
The reason for 3 months, no UV protection
Now that you have no protection at all, glassing will be on the plastic not the clear.
It will get harder to repair and take more and more off the plastic surface.

Im not having a go at you, its your car do what you like.
Other owners may benefit on how to do it correctly.

Cheers
34by151
OK OK, let's move on. I've got a TON of issues on this car. Just rewired 2 rotting wires on the 1 out of 4 markers lights not working, installed a rebuilt susp pump, shut off two faults, CEL and suspension, also 'reduced performance,' a genuine hoot on the expressway when she goes into 'jerk' mode. I saw one of your entries on suspension, very helpful, and the comfy cozy ride does exact a few kernels of wit and plausibility. My trunk servo is not working, shouldn't I test it first? The constant beep in reverse, can't I just shoot the buzzer? Why no sound from the front? There's a driveshaft that wants new donuts, without frosting thanks. Still a great project, don't shoot the messenger, it's not plausible. Using ICARSOFT LRII, it worked and it erased, and it diagnosed. LET'S MOVE ON, WE HAVE JAGUAR, THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE CAR BIZ, I KNOW, I NOW OWN ONE.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

A year ago, I simply used a dab of rubbing compound and my DA polisher on each light and they both look like new. I did not put a clear coat and a year later they still look like new. Cost me nothin' and took only one minute per light.

Attached Thumbnails headlight restoration-headlightpolish.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
A year ago, I simply used a dab of rubbing compound and my DA polisher on each light and they both look like new. I did not put a clear coat and a year later they still look like new. Cost me nothin' and took only one minute per light.
They look good. Jaguar: the cat that can.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While the restoration procedure is the same a professional will apply a clear resin coat which has UV protection. The reason this is not in the kit is this coating is expensive. 34by151
Ah it's the sun that causes the headlight glass to glaze over, I thought it was the wind and rain.

My right lights are glazed over, left lights pristine. First owner must have had an accident and left lights were replaced, this didn't show up in the CarFax.