XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Lamentations

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar Lamentations

As much as I love my car, unquestionably it is the most frustrating vehicle that I have owned! Admittedly, my previous vehicle was a 1989 MB 420SEL. So, maybe all owners of ‘newer’ cars suffer from similar occurrences due to advanced technologies.

Along my march towards having a mechanically trouble-free and cosmetically pristine vehicle, I maintain a list of items to be addressed. Yesterday, I was feeling quite self-satisfied with having replaced the number plate lamps after having to remove the trunk liner in the process. Well, my vehicle was code free except for a pending code regarding “air temperature sensor circuit intermittent high voltage”. I had read threads concerning this, but was going to wait to see if this cleared after a threshold number of starts. I did decide to go to Autozone ang get a replacement air filter...I thought that might help things. After doing so and driving a bit, the car generated all kinds of codes, e,g., misfired cylinders, etc. I zeroed in on the air filter, as that was the only thing that had changed. The STP filter appeared a big larger than the one it replaced and did not seem to seat perfectly inside the air filter housing. I removed the new filter, reinstalled the old filter and cleared the codes, to see if they returned. Naturally, then all the emission monitors had to reset! And, although I do not have an upcoming car inspection, I was resolved to complete the drive cycle for emissions. Well, after five attempts, I am down to the O2 and EGR monitors. Now, I also notice a code for a misfired cylinder and injector something...I have the codes on my OBDII scanner. By the way, these scanners seem to be a mixed blessing...having one and frequently scanning is like looking at your investment portfolio on a daily basis...something is likely to rankle you!

Well, before all this, I was on my way to having my car detailed! But, now I need to resolve some things which may include getting some grubby handprints on my vehicle! It seems that trouble-free is an Impossible Dream! Does anyone out there hear me?

The following 3 users liked this post by staggerlee51:
Don B (04-11-2019), Leslie Graham (Levitikon) (06-07-2019), Panthro (08-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes! I also love my car....but there is always something lingering and usually not small. It has had four water pumps, the gas gauge issue, transmission issues that continue to plague it (and a new one has been recommended at a cost higher than the value of the car!).

I cannot take a longer road trip without the engine light coming on for something. So much that I actually carry a reader in the car with me. I have had numerous ignition coils, electrical gremlins, etc. I have spent more on the car than it is worth already....and it needs a paint job, too!

But I love it and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. But unless you understand and appreciate the benefits of a quirky vehicle, it is hard to explain why I put up with it.

The following 3 users liked this post by ItsMyXJR:
Don B (04-11-2019), Leslie Graham (Levitikon) (06-07-2019), Panthro (08-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Thanks, ItsMyXJR, for commiserating with me!

Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I'll throw in 2 cents. Or 2000 cents it seems, and I apologize in advance for the looooong post.

I have seen what looks like 2 groups of X350 ownership, thought I'm sure a 3rd group crosses over into both at certain times of ownership. You have "mostly trouble free motoring" and you have ItsMyXJR's "cannot take a longer road trip without the engine light coming on for something". I've noticed supercharged cars tend to have more issues on average, obviously affected by the additional hardware, engine management and increased stress on vehicle components. This lead me to "settle for" a heavily optioned Vanden Plas vs. a Super V8 - or an 06 Portfolio - if I could have found one. All that rear seat splendor, and the intoxicating and comically rewarding effects at stop light launches against Acura's, V6 pony cars and the like. But I had to go and be practical. Practical Jaguar - the ultimate oxymoron.

I figured: It's only a couple MPG and that SC Whine! But it also has to be my daily driver. As for the rear seat luxury... What exactly do I GET out of that? My car has the "Warm Weather Package" with the side and rear sunshades (Hi Staggerlee!) and... my fav: 4 Zone HVAC. An half pound of refrigerant, an additional evaporator inside the center console, additional fan, with a digital control panel on the back of the center console - controllable from the front as well. It transforms a black on black Vanden Plas from a blast furnace into a walk in fridge.

Why all the stuff about optional equipment? Because they add to ownership woes. More complexity. More stuff to break. When it plays together its wonderful and adds a lot of enjoyment. But diagnostics and troubleshoot go up proportionally. ECM TCM Front Electronic Module, Rear Electronic Module CANBUS, DOOR Modules (4) and so on. Tesla made the distinction that instead of the 30,40 or 50 computers in a modern car, each handling numerous functions, Tesla's have ONE. I hear all those groans of "Single point of failure"! What if the ONE dies? Fair enough, but you are not going to sell me on DOZENS of computers, all relying on 100% uptime as being a better solution.

I admit I have been mostly very lucky. Wanting a "modern Jaguar" most of my life, I was thrilled to get a nice Sapphire Blue over Ivory X308 VDP in 2008. It was beautiful, it was a salvage repair, but perfectly straight and painted like a show car) It was also almost 100% trouble free for 4 years of ownership (133k - 220k miles) The Electric Trunk Opener failed. That was it. Everything on the car worked. Every button, knob, stalk etc. When I got it I had to fix the Trip Computer by rewiring the button on the turn signal stalk. And the guy who sold it replaced the serpentine tensioner and idler pulley. Tires. Wiper blades.

The 2 X350's have been likewise reliable, with a few things - The 2006 needed an O2 sensor at one point, a thermostat housing that broke apart inside (plastic engine parts = bad idea) - The 2007 has been really good this first 18 months. Parking sensor annoyances. Passenger side mirror broke right off the car when I bumped it with my hip (Mezak Alloy... strong as a blade of grass, and a THICK blade of grass too!)

SO mostly there is some degree of luck - I have seen cars under 75k miles with transmission issues. Not breakdown issues, but unacceptable performance issues in a car of this price, like surging, hard shifts and electronic TCM failures. Some folks get a lit of CEL's others get few or none. Weather is a factor: Cold climates affect the air suspension in all kinds of nasty ways. I was very nervous when I got the 2007 Vanden Plas, hoping it would be reliable as my 06, especially after the horror stories in this forum. I needn't have, as it has been as good or better - with 20k less miles when I got it compared to the other car. Sometimes the idle ramps up a few minutes after starting. Sometimes it acts like it has a leaky fuel injector. An occasional loud click (from evaporative system solenoid is my suspicion. That's about it. There's no rhyme or reason I can see for troublesome X350's, but they do exist. Cars with extensive dealership repairs are often the worst, making me suspicious (without cause, I freely admit) that too much tinkering opens up new issues. I tend to fix only that which needs it. If it's ain't broke, don't break it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Blairware:
Don B (04-11-2019), Panthro (08-09-2019), TwoCalibers (12-26-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Received 239 Likes on 148 Posts

I feel you guys. This is my 2nd Jag. You have to really have a passion for these cars to stay a faithful Jaguar driver. As a fellow Jag owner once told me, "We don't own them, they own us."

The following 2 users liked this post by jazzyjags:
Don B (04-11-2019), Panthro (08-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Smile

Same was said about Triumph motorcycles, & ownership back in the day.

Last edited by Wingrider; 04-10-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:53 PM

Great to hear both sides! Blairware, I enjoy long posts...time to sit down with your favorite beverage and enjoy the read! (By the way...hopefully, not talking “out of school”...my trip to the auto bones yard, today, yielded me that backup rear sunblind assembly! I had to refer to your instructions for removing the back seat several times, but they got me through it! Thanks! Of course, I do not know if it works or not, but it will be on the shelf if the gremlins invade again!)

So, can we surmise that those guys or gals seated alongside their chairs at the car shows may be wrestling with gremlins., as well.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Staggerlee -

I've got an 2005 Super V8 in very good condition that I bought exactly one year ago April 2018 with 136K for $7,250. I have just under 10K miles thus far. The car was reasonably maintained by 2 previous owners and the last owner sold it to me, I think, after he knew some of the bigger repairs lay just ahead. Totally normal - I paid $7,250. I did not have a mechanic look at the car before purchase. If I had I would have been willing to pay slightly less like 6,800 to 7,000 dollars. Not enough to sweat over.

Once I found a trusted mechanic and he looked at the car, it had the following issues on general inspection - worn brake rotors and pads on all four corners, a sticky right front caliper, worn suspension bushings, worn control arms especially front upper control arm, beginning rust on the transmission pan, the dreaded suspension fault light coming on and off, a badly worn right from tire, bent rims, fog lights not working (warning light on), and rear sun screen not going up but motor works.

There are things that have happened or that I've become aware of since taking ownership like - totally broken driver side rear view mirror, right front speaker not working, parking sensors not working, occasional air bag light on, uneven heat distribution (drivers side upper and lower blow cold), and recently low coolant warning light on.

My resolution to these issues has been - I McGuyvered the rearview mirror so it stays in place, $1,800 Eibach coil over, purchase of 2 sets of tires and 2 sets of 18 inch rims (great prices on all items, both sets of 5 rims/tires for total of $1,700), oil change, engine coolant flush and top off (ongoing top off right now). I've got a total of $14,500 in the car.

I'll do the brakes and upper control arm next. However, although the low coolant light has not come back on after flush/top off, at highway speed the car runs on the warm side and this past weekend on a 2 hour trip from Columbus OH to Cleveland OH, the car would go hot redline and warning light immediately when AC turned on and stayed there even when off. Slowing to 60-65 mph returned the temp to upper normal. Going up even slight hills increased the engine temp to near "red", and would lower upon going downhill. This situation continued later that night in cooler ambient temps on the return trip. I smell slight coolant after turning off engine (engine fan stays on for an appropriate time after shutting car off), but see no leaking/steam, and this was confirmed by my mechanic.

The car shifts fine through all gears though I have experienced an occasional "squwak" when caught awkwardly accelerating after slowdown/speed up coming to traffic lights.

I've been lucky thus far as I've not had odd electrical problems. Thus far I can live with the issues that exist, although the brakes /suspension need to be serviced SOON and the engine temp is a concern.

None of these issues are out of the ordinary for a car of this age and mileage, and it rides so quiet and nice, and looks so great, it's worth managing the car so to speak.

Contrast this with my 2009 Nissan V6 Altima (now 124K), voted best midsize family sedan by Consumer Reports that year. Over its time the Altima has needed multiple TPMS. Also front bearing and suspension changes at 100K, replacement of the electronic push button start system ($900, later id'd as a recall paid for issue), EVAP canister $600, rack and pinion and front end work, $2,600, and now the electronic steering system is making "noise" and feeling quite heavy. Other issues have been normal but irritatingly frequent for a car that I drive less than 10K a year.

Hopefully the current coolant/engine temp problem resolves itself by a bit more top offs and maybe using a different coolant (my mechanic used a "universal" coolant he says is appropriate for our cars (i'm not so sure about that given the situation).

Anyway, In the end I love managing the Jag, the Altima is a pain/drain. Not surprisingly, my wife sees it just the opposite way.

Best to All and thanks for participating. I learn something each time I visit the forums.

Mike D

I'd like to make my car perfect too - my mechanic says I should keep it a year and a half then sell it, and to leave some of the major repairs alone like transmission till it fails instead of changing fluid, and not worry about little stuff. I bought the car as a highway cruiser and its great for that except the last trip - I'd like to see it to 200k which would make it a 7year ownership.

This is my experience. Thanks to all who participate, I learn something new every time I'm on the forums.
Mike D

The following 2 users liked this post by RoadMaster2:
Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Roadmaster, while am not pleased to hear about your Jaguar woes, I enjoyed reading about your journey with your Jaguar and consoled to hear that you remain faithful. Those of us that buy these $75 - $95K cars for under $10K seem to invariably invest another similar amount or maybe more into the vehicle during our ownership. Then, we look for another Jag! While problems prevail, it seems that we must carefully and adroitly walk that line between minor and potentially catastrophic issues. From my perspective, it is unthinkable, keeping these cars parked and garaged for long periods (except during harsh winters), waiting for that ideal day! I drive my car!

Thanks all for your stories! We (I) need this support group! I think that I will go ahead with my detailing appointment, despite some lingering pending codes and incomplete drive cycle! Otherwise, that perfect time seems like an illusion!

Don B (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Wink

Misery LOVES company!!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Wingrider:
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM

Indeed, it does!

Old 06-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default maybe I'm lucky

I bought my 2004 xj8 with 111,000 miles from a one-owner, dealer-serviced individual. $4,400. I replaced one air shock with an RMT for $350, and replaced an upper control arm ($100) and sway bar bushings. I flushed tranny with Mercon SP for $100. New brakes and tires and I love it. Do have a vacuum leak I need to track down, but for $5000 I don't think any other option can touch it. Now am at 129,000 miles. Figure if I even get a few years and maybe hit 175,000 miles, that's a bargain in any book.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Was so impressed with the 04 xj8, that in little over a year purchased the 07 VDP, both great cars.
From what i've read, 250-300 thousand miles if taken care of is not uncommon.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I commiserate with every older Jag owner. I have a 2006 XJ8 VDP. Since purchasing mine late summer last year, I have had a myriad of electrical complaints, most of which have come and gone and have been replaced with new ones. There doesn't appear to be rhyme or reason to them. Mine started with (and has come back) the PARKBREAK FAULT, followed by the wipers cutting the engine. Both were remedied by replacing the ground point behind the passenger side headlights. Also I bought a new battery, which also seemed to address most issues.

Then of course new code arrived to replace the one just fixed. I had been experiencing GEARBOX FAULT on and off for a while with shifting issues, so I bought a code reader (to be returned today). It did not read the code, but somehow the issue went away.

Weather certainly seems to be a contributing factor, as it ran (trouble free) for two weeks when we had not had rain and it was warm.

Then the rain came, and with it trouble! First up was AIR SUSPENSION FAULT which ruined the ride; you don't realize how good the suspension is until it's not working. It was bumpy as hell, and when I got out the back left was low. Since then it has got worse and now the entire back looks like a low rider. This had happened once before, but had fixed it's self on next startup; You could feel the car raise up. As of today is sits sorrowfully low at the back. I feel like it isn't the compressor since it works when it feels like it. I am more inclined the think that it is a communication error, though I have nothing to base that assumption on.

One more thing that happened since the code reader purchase was the fuel gauge. Now this had not worked since the day I got the car, would read anywhere from way past full, to empty, irrespective of actual fuel level. I relied on the range value, which was always accurate. Right now though, it has the "Low Fuel" warning and it reads empty (range is --). I have no idea why this has presented itself now.

It seems like the only way to address these electrical (ECU CAN) problems it to purchase an expensive bi-directional unit or similar.

To date, the outstanding list of problems for are thus:
  1. Parkbreak Fault (returned after 6 month hiatus)
  2. Parking assist (randomly yells at me in traffic and beeps for three seconds when moved out of park)
  3. Air suspension system fault
  4. Fuel gauge
  5. Gearbox Fault (random)
  6. Cruise control unavailable
  7. DSC fault (usually appears with the Gearbox Fault)
All that said, I am in love with this vehicle. When it runs it makes my hour commute feel like first class travel; when it doesn't run it totally depresses me.

BTW. I bought the car with the idea that I would restore it to factory. There is a longer list of things that I had planned to do. Like . you Staggerlee I am loathed to address the other issues if I am the owner of a lemon.

If anyone has ideas regarding my issues, or have suffered similar, please share. Without this forum I might have given up before now.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Fuel gauge will probably be the sender-bad connection on rheostat which clips onto side of 'bucket'

Maybe cleaning will do it.

Cruise control and DSC could be a bad wheel sensor.

Park assist-bad sensor or sensor on the way out.

Air suspension-try rebooting the vehicle with battery leads.

What codes are you getting re g'box?

Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I am coming up to 5 years of ownership next month with my 2005 XJR and it has been the best value for money performance car I have ever had.

The satisfaction I feel in driving it is just the best.

I purchased it after researching XJRs for a year. Single owner car, a lady attorney. 99,000 miles on it .

I do all my own maintenance as well as customization.

I am retired so can take my time to do a good thorough job. I have only put about 10,000 on it so far.

I drive it on a 450 mile trip from MD to MA 2 or 3 times a year with full confidence.

Last edited by jackra_1; 06-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Panthro (08-09-2019)