XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

maXpeedingrods air springs review

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default maXpeedingrods air springs review

Installed a full set of maXpeedingrods air springs on my '04 XJ8 purchased from Amazon about 2 weeks ago. The price was very reasonable, $970 for a complete set front and rear. Installed them, using Bilstein's instructions, including not completely lowering the vehicle upon initial install until the air compressor was able to inflate them properly to avoid damage to the air bladders. Driving the vehicle, the ride quality seemed great. It seemed to float over smaller bumps, larger bumps could be a little harsh, I think this is just the nature of air springs though.

The springs do not support CATS, there is a connector for it, but I suspect it's merely a resistor. Every time I brake or accelerate hard, the ASM attempts to stiffen the front or rear springs, which results in a temporary error. Yellow light flashes on instrument cluster along with a CATS error message, then quickly disappears as you let off the brake or gas pedal. It appears that they did not put the correct size resistor in the spring, as I get a C2304 Power supply Actuator Damper Ground fault after installing these, which would indicate a short, or a resistor with too little resistance. I can't get a direct reading on the 2 pins of the shock to measure the resistance, my leads are too large in diameter on my multimeter, but this seems to be an issue for front and rear as it happens under both hard braking and acceleration.

After about 200 miles of driving, BAM! Catastrophic failure of front right air spring. I have not removed it yet, but I believe the air bladder blew out already. Front right corner dropped to the ground immediately, a few minutes later the front left also dropped. I assumed this happened while try to level the front springs due to the 3 sensor system. I will be removing the air springs later this week, and attempting to return them. I have purchased a set of Arnott coil-overs to replace these, as I'm not looking to spend $2000 on their air springs and I'm sick of having anxiety over this air suspension system.

Do not buy maXpeedingrods air springs, they are junk!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-20-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sosnowski127

Hi, I was wondering if you had to swap over the pressure retention valves (the brass ones on top of each air spring, where the air line screws into) from the old to the new Maxpeedingrods air springs? Or, did the new valves/nut/olive fit your air lines roght out of the box? Thanks!

Last edited by Don B; 02-20-2024 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Shortened unncecessary full quotation.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:11 PM
Received 12,840 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Hello Geniusabc,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-20-2024, 10:31 PM
Received 117 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sosnowski127
Installed a full set of maXpeedingrods air springs on my '04 XJ8 purchased from Amazon about 2 weeks ago. The price was very reasonable, $970 for a complete set front and rear. Installed them, using Bilstein's instructions, including not completely lowering the vehicle upon initial install until the air compressor was able to inflate them properly to avoid damage to the air bladders. Driving the vehicle, the ride quality seemed great. It seemed to float over smaller bumps, larger bumps could be a little harsh, I think this is just the nature of air springs though.

The springs do not support CATS, there is a connector for it, but I suspect it's merely a resistor. Every time I brake or accelerate hard, the ASM attempts to stiffen the front or rear springs, which results in a temporary error. Yellow light flashes on instrument cluster along with a CATS error message, then quickly disappears as you let off the brake or gas pedal. It appears that they did not put the correct size resistor in the spring, as I get a C2304 Power supply Actuator Damper Ground fault after installing these, which would indicate a short, or a resistor with too little resistance. I can't get a direct reading on the 2 pins of the shock to measure the resistance, my leads are too large in diameter on my multimeter, but this seems to be an issue for front and rear as it happens under both hard braking and acceleration.

After about 200 miles of driving, BAM! Catastrophic failure of front right air spring. I have not removed it yet, but I believe the air bladder blew out already. Front right corner dropped to the ground immediately, a few minutes later the front left also dropped. I assumed this happened while try to level the front springs due to the 3 sensor system. I will be removing the air springs later this week, and attempting to return them. I have purchased a set of Arnott coil-overs to replace these, as I'm not looking to spend $2000 on their air springs and I'm sick of having anxiety over this air suspension system.

Sosnowski,

What ended up happening? Did you replace the max air with coilovers? How does it feel? Any regrets?