XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Modern Sirius XM radio install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Modern Sirius XM radio install

I thought I would share some pictures from this weekends project. Everything went smoothly and I'm very pleased with the results. I went with the Sirius XM Commander Touch kit. The display is full color, touch screen, and very easy to use. Enjoy!

Relatively unused coin/ash tray.

Shifter trim prys up for removal.

Two of the screws that hold the console in, see screwdriver and finger. It's wise to remove the shift knob before going any further.

Rear register removes with a good pull.

Unplug the connectors and remove the other two screws.

Slightly lift the rear of the console, and pull towards rear to remove. The clips at the top of the "hoop" can be stubborn.

The ashtray assembly is held down by two phillips screws. Using a small pick or suitable tool to remove the caps that cover the heads.

The center stack is held in by four screws, two visible on the left side of image.

Behind the scenes. A little more wiring than normal as I have the Audio Connectivity Module installed.

Ashtray removed and cleaned.

The control head and included mounting brackets. I added some holes to get the position I wanted.

Brackets trimmed, bent, and installed.

I made a paper template and used it to locate where to drill two holes for a small nut and bolt.

The receiver is small and fits nicely in a void behind the shifter.

This is the connector to the cigarette lighter / power outlet in the ashtray. It's a great place to tap into for power. The unit needs a constant 12v feed, a switched 12v feed, ground, and an illumination signal to dim the display at night. The illumination signal and be found from the red/white wire on the left, and switched 12v from the blue/white wire on the right. Constant 12v can be found in the radio harness, and ground from a place of your choosing.

The remote did not come with the kit, but is very hand to have.

Very happy with the look, and the ashtray lid still opens and closes as normal.

The following 2 users liked this post by 310jag:
Gatorman67 (04-14-2024), mhamilton (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

That looks much nicer than the original Jag solution of pulling out the entire ashtray and replacing with the XM unit!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Nice work, a very clean install,.
Much nicer than the dealer install.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Great guide. Well done and thanks for all the useful info.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Nicse!..

Old 05-20-2022, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So great

Is this come with the aux? I’m trying to do the same project like your..Thank you.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJ8L Sirius radio install

Originally Posted by 310jag
I thought I would share some pictures from this weekends project. Everything went smoothly and I'm very pleased with the results. I went with the Sirius XM Commander Touch kit. The display is full color, touch screen, and very easy to use. Enjoy!

Relatively unused coin/ash tray.

Shifter trim prys up for removal.

Two of the screws that hold the console in, see screwdriver and finger. It's wise to remove the shift knob before going any further.

Rear register removes with a good pull.

Unplug the connectors and remove the other two screws.

Slightly lift the rear of the console, and pull towards rear to remove. The clips at the top of the "hoop" can be stubborn.

The ashtray assembly is held down by two phillips screws. Using a small pick or suitable tool to remove the caps that cover the heads.

The center stack is held in by four screws, two visible on the left side of image.

Behind the scenes. A little more wiring than normal as I have the Audio Connectivity Module installed.

Ashtray removed and cleaned.

The control head and included mounting brackets. I added some holes to get the position I wanted.

Brackets trimmed, bent, and installed.

I made a paper template and used it to locate where to drill two holes for a small nut and bolt.

The receiver is small and fits nicely in a void behind the shifter.

This is the connector to the cigarette lighter / power outlet in the ashtray. It's a great place to tap into for power. The unit needs a constant 12v feed, a switched 12v feed, ground, and an illumination signal to dim the display at night. The illumination signal and be found from the red/white wire on the left, and switched 12v from the blue/white wire on the right. Constant 12v can be found in the radio harness, and ground from a place of your choosing.

The remote did not come with the kit, but is very hand to have.

Very happy with the look, and the ashtray lid still opens and closes as normal.
Can someone please let me know what it would cost estimate for a professional to do this exactly. I simply abhore stereo installation

Old 04-14-2024, 10:19 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatorman67
Can someone please let me know what it would cost estimate for a professional to do this exactly. I simply abhore stereo installation
you'd be much better off getting this. I just use the SXM APP which actually has a bit more stations on it. & this is plug & play.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-250246/