XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear seat DVD Player issues

Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear seat DVD Player issues

I am trying to sort out a few issues with my new (to me) 2006 Super V8 X350. The latest problem is with the rear seat DVD player.

The screens do seem to work. I can bring up the menu for the settings (color, contrast, etc.) and the DVD player in the trunk also appears to work. All the lights come on (all green except when I insert a DVD and the one on the far left --marked DVD Video -- turns orange) and there is no problem inserting and removing a disc.

But, I can't seem to get anything to play or for video to appear on the screens in the back seat.

Three Questions:

1. Can anyone recommend how to best determine what is (or is not) happening? Is there anything that I can check to see if all is working properly (fuses, wiring, settings, etc.)?

2. I am in Los Angeles, CA. If I cannot figure out the problem, does anyone know a place in my area (or anywhere in California, for that matter) where I can go to have it checked? Besides the dealer, of course, since I think that could be quite expensive.

3. I have to assume that this question has been asked before. Is there a place on the forums where I might find an answer? I have looked, but can't seem to find the answer I need.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this message.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

What happens when you try to switch the "video source" on the read seat media console?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 PM

It seems t be ok. I can control the radio and .make phone calls without any issues. All indications are that the rear console is operating. I have set both left and right for dvd and dvd audio as source. No sound. No video.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:02 PM

To clarify. Nothing happens when I switch to video. No sound and screen is black.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:16 PM

Can you plug a video source in the rear console and use it?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Oh! Good question. To be honest, I have not tried that. I will have to try to find something that I could plug in and give it a shot.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 PM

Good call on trying an outside source. I plugged in a DVD player and .. Viola! it all worked perfectly. Both screens look great, the audio is clear and all can be controlled from the rear console.

So ... I guess that it is either the alpine DVD player in the trunk or a connection. I also assume it means getting to the DVD player. How do I access it? Are there any instructions to getting to the unit? It does not look easy to get to .. but maybe there is a simple way?

Clearly, you are the doctor in this case. What do you suggest as my next step (remove DVD player and have it checked, checking connections and wiring, check fuses, etc.)?

..and thanks for your help and patience. My grandson will love you forever if he can watch his videos in the car.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:12 PM

These are the CDC install instructions. It explains how to get to the entertainment stack in the trunk.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9T...ew?usp=sharing

This is the electrical diagram for your car:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

On page 157 "Rear In-Car Entertainment" you would see the connections of the system. From your experiment I would conclude that the video selector module is unlikely to be broken. The multimedia control panel is unlikely to be broken as well.

Unfortunately the connectors are not labeled, so we'll have to guess. It seems likely on the DVD player pin 12 and 13 are the two audio channels with pin 8 audio ground. Also pin 7 I would suspect is composite video and pin 6 video ground. First check the connector to the DVD player if it seems solid, try plugging your portable player output to these pins and see if you get anything on the screens in the car or hear sound.

Last edited by veffremov; 06-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 PM

Dude! You are the best! Thank you for the help. Looks like I have a July 4th project waiting.

Any suggestions on what specific I should look for? I will probably do a visual check of the wires and then pull the DVD player and have it checked to be sure it is working properly. Any other thoughts??

Again, I do send to you my sincere thanks for your kind and generous help.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:48 PM

For some reason, when I first read your message, I only saw part of it. In fact, you have given me quite a road map to follow in my quest to get this thing working.

I am not very good at these things, but I will certainly give it a try. If I run into problems, I can hopefully find someone with more knowledge to help me with the electrical.

Thank you for your guidance.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 AM

Still trying to sort out the issue with the Alpine DVD player in my X350. Thanks to the great advise and help from veffremov I determined that the Video screens and the rear console is working (plugged in outside unit to the AUX input and all worked fine).

I removed the DVD player and was planning to have my local electronics guy check to make sure it is working. Unfortunately, because of the unique plug on the player, he could not do any tests with it.

I guess the next step would be to check and see if the wires from the trunk that plug into the DVD player and run to the rear seat console are all properly connected and working. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to do this. I do have the wiring diagram (thanks to veffremov, once again), but I just don't quite know how to proceed to do the check (guess I a bit of a klutz in that regard).

If the wiring checks out without problems, then it must be the player itself (which is what I strongly suspect). In that case, Alpine says they can repair it at a cost of $225. I don't mind doing that, but don't want to do it first, only to find out that it was just a misplaced wire or fuse.

Basically, I don't have the knowledge to know how to check the system for problems. The other option is if anyone can suggest someone in the Los Angeles area who can check the player and/or the wiring for me.

Any help will be appreciated.