XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

REM fuel pump command and control

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default REM fuel pump command and control

My car went nose down the other day but then limped to local repair shop who has rather advanced diagnostic software and hardware. They measured low fuel pressure and told me to get pump which I did; pressure now normal they say but still getting p1338 code. They opened pandora's box to start chasing open grounds and stuff like that between pump and the rear electronic module when I told them to stop. The car is running fine but shows restricted performance. They did provide me the three page instructions for testing continuity between REM and fuel pump power plug so should I try that? They tentatively felt a jumper ground wire was the next step to see if that would fix it. Has anyone else had this happen? On my old 83 V12 I had a failure in the circuit that grounded the coil on the fuel pump relay; this in the main ECU that handled everything. I put a bypass switch in and drove the car for years after. So are they STILL having the same troubles after four generations of engine command? Thank you.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

Some info here that might help:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...de-help-71590/

This one relates to an x type.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-start-112305/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...module-164157/

Last edited by meirion1; 12-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-06-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The non-dealer repair people who put the fuel pump in my car last week provided me the same step by step procedure linked above. I stopped them from doing it as I did not trust them to complete it without making things worse. The car is starting and running OK thus far but with p1338 flagging.
I did the procedure myself yesterday and the step where it wants to know if a certain voltage on yellow is more or less than 3V fails. But the guide asks for a voltage check with all connectors disconnected so I seriously question the validity of this. In any case, the result of that bad test is: "replace fuel pump." Well I did that already and am kind of up to here with the entire process. I opened up the REM and there is only one giant capacitor which I can easily replace. Otherwise there are "no user serviceable parts inside" as the saying goes. Last resort is dealer diagnosis I guess. Thank you.