XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

seat tray tables - question about uses

Old 12-16-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default seat tray tables - question about uses

so just wondering what creative uses any of you have done with your tray tables. signing paychecks for your business? resting rocks glasses? was curious. maybe in the 80's they woud have been used in conjunction with some credit card and rolled up $100 bill? lol

Old 12-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

I was a bit surprised when I saw them; I'd rather imagined them as I saw them years ago ie the full width of the back of the seat, and deeper; more rectangular. As I recall those folded down with a satisfying 'click', and I must confess to thinking that the current ones are a bit 'nominal'.

I was stunned to see that on the 2008 price list they were an optional extra at £ 750 (what's that, $1,000 ?)

The car spent its first four years in London where I think it was something like a courtesy car at a hotel (it has the tables but no rear seat entertainment).

Old 12-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

If I'm on the road for work and not near anything, I will stop and put my laptop on them to do some work. Using my cell as wireless, it's a little mobile office

Old 12-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I signed the title to my car on mine.

I've also gotten drive through at lunch, and then sat in the back and watched a movie while I ate.

Other than that, they are mostly good for showing that you have tray tables. People get excited about them.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:03 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

I spent close to the original option price to retrofit these to my Super V8, because I just had to have them! They will probably never be used (they are not really practical), but glad to know they are there. On the 03-07 models the whole seat frame is different, as I found out... So I had to replace both front seats.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:46 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oilstain
Other than that, they are mostly good for showing that you have tray tables. People get excited about them.
I have found that aged female relatives - 88 to 104 - are particularly impressed by them for some reason.
Young female relatives - teenagers - bemoan the lack of 'infotainment' in the rear of mine.

Males of all ages simply MUST lower and raise them at least twice - them sit there trying to work out a use for them.

Nowadays a purely decorative homage to a bye gone era with more Grace. The Space remains and the Pace is abundant.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I still see Jaguars and Bentleys at car shows with little bottles of Gray Poupon mustard on the tray tables as homage to the mustard commercials that ran in the US a few years ago. The SV8's trays are too small to be good for much else besides the mustard joke and maybe a bag of microwave popcorn for the movie.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by alecescolme
I spent close to the original option price to retrofit these to my Super V8, because I just had to have them! They will probably never be used (they are not really practical), but glad to know they are there. On the 03-07 models the whole seat frame is different, as I found out... So I had to replace both front seats.
I had no idea a SuperV8 was offered without the tray tables!

You all know they extend about three inches, right? Mine were really tight when I got the car; I don't think the previous owners knew they could be extended. There's a small pen divot in the extension. After folding down, just pull out toward you.

They are still too small to do serious work on, but moving them out from under the slope of the seat back makes them a bit more useful.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The ladies like the tables because they faciliate a couple of extra creative love positions.
​​​​​
Put to better use than for mustard jars or laptops.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I had no idea a SuperV8 was offered without the tray tables!

You all know they extend about three inches, right? Mine were really tight when I got the car; I don't think the previous owners knew they could be extended. There's a small pen divot in the extension. After folding down, just pull out toward you.

They are still too small to do serious work on, but moving them out from under the slope of the seat back makes them a bit more useful.
Thanks, I didn't know they slid out. I just went out and tried it and they might even hold a laptop that way.

Interesting suggestion from mberman. Unfortunately my wife is way past love positions unless you count going to flea markets and out for dinner, but perhaps that's how the left one got cracked before I bought the car. Should I check it with my coolant leak black light?

Old 12-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

My kids love to play with them. I use them to prop up tablets for the kids to watch on longer trips.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Torrid
My kids love to play with them. I use them to prop up tablets for the kids to watch on longer trips.
yea I have just found this out for myself. have to keep reminding them they will be charged $500 each for replacements if they break!! that would be a lot of allowance at 4 and 7 lol

Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

You all know they extend about three inches, right?.
I never knew that ! Just tried mine (well, the RH one) and it and opened dead easily.

I still think the way they taper in towards the hinge makes them look a bit naff.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol, actually 2 years ago my brother was on some kind of a diet eating some prepared meals and salads and it was the day we were busy driving around town, so he sat at the back opened the tray table and had his meal while i was driving.
Well thats the end of the exciting tray table story.
At least it was used.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

I sat in the back and had some lunch using the table at the filling station just after I picked it up in Northampton ... and while I was eating a guy who happened to be filling up his X350 came over and we had a chat.

He warned me about the front smoking in after starts in cold weather. Tdvi s have a fuel fired heater under the R/H end of the front bumper and it's prone to emitting smoke ... and people keep telling you your car was on fire.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

A few years back, when I picked up my Super V8 Portfolio, I celebrated by popping in a movie and watching it on the DVD headrests, while drinking a few glasses of Krug Rose Champagne on the tray table.

Maybe sometime when I get the chance I'll have a plate of cheese on the table with Grey Poupon.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 12-26-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM

we should start a photo contest of sorts illustrating tray table uses.... although the sexual position one may have to be curtailed to maintain decorum...