XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Service rant.... should have known better.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Service rant.... should have known better.

So my XJR developed a slow leak that was unnoticeable on the garage floor. Every couple days the coolant light would come on but a quick scan of the engine and underside revealed nothing, but its going somewhere. Anyway, I've been swamped business wise and its been like 105 here everyday so I opted to take it to my trusted local mechanic who has done some work on it before.

Upon inspection they call and email me the estimate. Upper coolant reservoir return hose has a pinhole in it on the engine side. OK , makes sense.... this is why I wasn't seeing anything since it would evaporate pretty quick when driven and with the temps here. Of course they recommend replacing the upper and lower radiator hose, the other reservoir hose and some other hose, basically 5 in all plus new antifreeze, $1897.90.

Yes you read that correct. Then I said I wasn't in a position to pay that (I can but why ? If it was like $200.00 I would have done it) and said what about just replacing just that one leaking hose. New estimate, $991.88 for the one hose, which isn't that hard to get at. When I asked how many labor hours they said 5. How much was the one hose, $106.00. Do some quick math at $100hr labor and the hose and it doesn't add up but I wasn't pushing it.

I passed, had them button it up, brought it home, took 2 minutes to pull the engine cover, saw the leak, saw whats involved (probably 90 minutes for me) and proceeded to order the factory OEM hose for $52.90 shipped.

I will not name names as it doesn't matter, they will never see me again for anything not even an oil change. I know that shops need to make a profit they are a business but I have been a customer for years with all my previous cars including Jags and always felt they were fair. Oh well, such is life.

Additionally, on the recommended service list the noted it needed new front struts as they are worn and leaking. I checked my records, have got maybe 1500 miles on the new ones they did not replace a year ago that I had someone else due. Really done thing the new ones wore out in 1500 miles.

Thanks for letting me rant, ordered the hose and guess I will have to find time to replace it here in the very near future.

The following users liked this post:
Doberman_Fan (08-30-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

My belief is that Jaguar mechanics and dealers figure that anyone who drives one, has money to burn. And not the skill or patience to do the repair himself.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

It's cold here I will come and do it FOC lol

Old 08-15-2018, 10:22 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

****UPDATE****

So after the rant I and the car cooling down I decided to pull the engine shield and have a look for myself. Lone behold I can clearly see the pinhole in the hose right after where the clamp sits. With screwdriver and plyers in hand I proceed to remove the air inlet, 2 smaller hoses that lay over the leaking one, remove the leaking one, trim 1 1/8 inch off the hose and reattach it. Put everything back together, fill with antifreeze and its fixed, no seriously, drove it for 60 minutes and its fixed. Now if this repair would have kinked the hose at all I wouldn't have done it but its a temporary fix until my new hose arrives tomorrow and I got lucky.

FYI, me....... plyers, screwdriver, work gloves and 15........ yes 15 minutes did the repair. The complete hose replacement will not take more than 20 minutes total. I am not a certified mechanic I only play one in my garage.

My point is 5 hours......... 5 hours labor they were charging for something I fixed in 15 minutes (I know they would never just fix it) but even if it took 30 to change the hose that's just blatant profiteering. I might have to call them out on social media over it, its just wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for the read and comments.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by john fox
****update****

so after the rant i and the car cooling down i decided to pull the engine shield and have a look for myself. Lone behold i can clearly see the pinhole in the hose right after where the clamp sits. With screwdriver and plyers in hand i proceed to remove the air inlet, 2 smaller hoses that lay over the leaking one, remove the leaking one, trim 1 1/8 inch off the hose and reattach it. Put everything back together, fill with antifreeze and its fixed, no seriously, drove it for 60 minutes and its fixed. Now if this repair would have kinked the hose at all i wouldn't have done it but its a temporary fix until my new hose arrives tomorrow and i got lucky.

Fyi, me....... Plyers, screwdriver, work gloves and 15........ Yes 15 minutes did the repair. The complete hose replacement will not take more than 20 minutes total. I am not a certified mechanic i only play one in my garage.

My point is 5 hours......... 5 hours labor they were charging for something i fixed in 15 minutes (i know they would never just fix it) but even if it took 30 to change the hose that's just blatant profiteering. I might have to call them out on social media over it, its just wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for the read and comments.
you should have gone back to talk to the owner as he may have a dishonest tech he is unaware of. At best he knows you wont be back because of this. Another note the only hose that would cost that much is the one under the super charger and all the labor for that repair

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
NaughtyKitty (08-18-2018), Norri (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

That's why i always try to learn how, as well as to buy or make any tools needed to do a job. After the first time used, many tools, are at a break even point, or better, after that you smile every time you use it, as it's pure profit from there on.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
you should have gone back to talk to the owner as he may have a dishonest tech he is unaware of. At best he knows you wont be back because of this. Another note the only hose that would cost that much is the one under the super charger and all the labor for that repair
You're right.
To make an estimate, with no explanation, for works including change of the hose under the SC that cost $2k when a first cheap repair would probably suffice in the PO case is indeed non-commercial at best.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:04 PM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

What a great post - my fist Jag experience was with a 1988 XJ6 with 175 K. There was a so called expert Jag repairman in town (Cleveland). He was knowledgeable but took advantage of newbies who thought that Jaguars were dropped from an alien planet and could only be serviced by certain expert people. What he did to me was purposely foul a spark plug which made me think I had to do an expensive repair(s), and because it was a Jag, of course it had to be complicated and expensive. BS.

That crook taught me that Jaguars are built and have the same systems as any other automobiles with hoses that go the same place, spark plugs, brakes, rotors, cables, etc., that operate the same as any other internal combustion engine with all the other components that make up a modern car.

If you need help smacking your repairman upside the head with a socket wrench, give me a call.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Unhappy

Way of the world it seems

Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Similarly, my Jag dealership wanted $4,000 to change brake pads and rotors, because they needed a special caliper tool. I found the special caliper tool at a parts store for $9.99 and did the job myself for $400.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep; I took my 08 XJ (55K miles) into the dealership a couple weeks ago to have the suspension diagnosed ($150) due to clacking frontal noises. One would suspect front lower bushings; but, I had put new ones in 20K miles ago. Anyway, The dealership's diagnosis came back with recommendations of 11 line items consisting of various arms, end-links, and bushings for a total fee of $6,062. To the service advisor's credit, he did inform me 2 of the front sway-bar bushings were sliding freely across the sway bar. He recommended all 6 be replaced; its cost alone would be $836 with 5.1 hours of labor included. So, I took my vehicle home and my local mechanic (non-authorized) simply put the 2 loose bushings back in place and bonded them in place because (according to him) the 2 rubber bushings can pop out of their slotted placements when the XJ is on a lift. Took the mechanic less than 3 hours ($300) to correct the bushings. I have also ordered and paid $567.00 for Rear Lower Control Arms, Front Upper Control Arms, and Rear Sway Bar Link Ends which he will install next week. Once finished, it should be in near-perfect shape. With labor and parts included, the fix will be at less than $1,500 versus the $6,062 the dealer recommended.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by doberman_fan
yep; i took my 08 xj (55k miles) into the dealership a couple weeks ago to have the suspension diagnosed ($150) due to clacking frontal noises. One would suspect front lower bushings; but, i had put new ones in 20k miles ago. Anyway, the dealership's diagnosis came back with recommendations of 11 line items consisting of various arms, end-links, and bushings for a total fee of $6,062. To the service advisor's credit, he did inform me 2 of the front sway-bar bushings were sliding freely across the sway bar. He recommended all 6 be replaced; its cost alone would be $836 with 5.1 hours of labor included. So, i took my vehicle home and my local mechanic (non-authorized) simply put the 2 loose bushings back in place and bonded them in place because (according to him) the 2 rubber bushings can pop out of their slotted placements when the xj is on a lift. Took the mechanic less than 3 hours ($300) to correct the bushings. I have also ordered and paid $567.00 for rear lower control arms, front upper control arms, and rear sway bar link ends which he will install next week. Once finished, it should be in near-perfect shape. With labor and parts included, the fix will be at less than $1,500 versus the $6,062 the dealer recommended.
no they dont "pop out " on a lift. There are big rubber ridges on both sides of the sway bar bushings and a ridge down the middle that a contoured metal bracket fits down inside of. You can put some thick grease in to quiet them but is only temporary. To test if you need new front sway bar bushings cause theyre loose/worn rock the car with the steering wheel from 10 to 2 oclock quickly while driving around 5-10mph down the street.
Knocking is easily heard. And yes that is book time. Doesnt matter if can be done faster or not cause when it pays less than it takes we still only get the book time.

Last edited by Brutal; 08-30-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I doubt the bushings popped out from being on a lift because the Jag has experienced many oil changes upon a lift and the two sway-bar bushings did not move freely until about 30K miles after install. The bushings still appear to be in good shape. The good news is the clacking noise has completely disappeared after bonding the free bushings back into place. The other parts I mentioned that I ordered are just to be proactive after some wear was noticed when reinstalling the bushings. Anyway, I can live with $1,500; $6,000 not. As mentioned in another post under suspension, purchased control arms for my 08 XJ labeled as arms for an 02 Lincoln LS & a Jag S-type which are priced much less expensively. I have read in the forum where XJ8 owners have installed these for a perfect fit.