XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Should I get Jaguar software?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Should I get Jaguar software?

I may need it sooner than I thought. I replaced my battery in March and have not been able to get the Comprehensive Component Monitor to set to ready. I need to get a smog test this month. I drive nearly every day and that is the only monitor not yet set. Perhaps I have a problem with a system being monitored that has not yet set a DTC but is close? Some of the drive cycle tests I have found online indicate to check codes using WDS data logger and clear them “even if there are no codes(?).” I’m not sure about that however, I did clear all DTC and freeze frame data in mid April when I replaced my fuel filter and some of the coils I damaged when replacing spark plugs. It took about a month of normal driving to set all but the Evap. monitor and that monitor set after I let the gas level get low enough. I have not done a hard reset but may now perhaps I should. I plan on checking with the Sacramento dealer today to speak with their service manager for any advice they may have but thought I would check here as well. Does anyone think the use of a better OBDII interface will assist me in sorting out this issue and setting the monitor.

In the past I had personal issues with different trim levels between banks but after replacing all the existing Densio coils on the odd bank (those coils did not seem to be bad and were not causing any misfires) with ones made by Airtex Wells. Now the trims are closer. I have been spending my weekends just doing random trips to attempt to set the monitor with no luck. Heck I am putting more miles on my car trying to pass a stupid smog test than I put on it in 6 months of regular use. Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Clearing codes and a hard reset each clear all the monitors so are most likely to make your life tougher.

You say you got all but EVAP to set and then also got EVAP to set in your post here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post1898720 so I'm wondering what's happened since to make matters worse than then?

Old 06-02-2018, 12:34 AM

Yes when I made that post I had just cleared the Evap. monitor which sounded like the most difficult. I wasn't clear that the CCM still had not set. (Also that was when I understood I could have one monitor incomplete and still pass the CA smog test and before the tech informed me that the 1 monitor cannot be the CCM.) I truly thought the CCM would set within 50 -60 miles after the Evap monitor did. Sadly that has not occurred. I am now wondering if something else is near to failing and setting a DTC and the pending possible issue could be the holdup. Hence my wondering about obtaining the Jaguar software. Perhaps it would reveal something amiss but not completely broken yet. With the weather here now getting into summer cooling down overnight may soon even be hard. It is supposed to be in the 100's this weekend.

I am hesitant to do the hard reset also but wonder if that may be necessary to completely clear any past issues remaining in memory. I originally thought the coils were stock from 2004 until I removed them and found they were all Densio. The records I have that came with the car do not indicate anything but routine service, mostly by the dealer. That and a bad experience with a Bluetooth install. I do not think a dealer would use Japanese coils. I wish I had paid attention to any freeze frame data that may have existed when I first bought the car.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

That sounds like you might have to take a chance and hope you're affected by TSB 021210 - the one where it turns out EVAP depends on the 0.02" leak test but not the 0.04" test. It's the CCM that depends on the 0.04" test and in addition a timer and some other details (engine temp, fuel level, engine run time).

Attached Files

Last edited by JagV8; 06-02-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:02 PM

Thanks JagV8. I believe that you provided that information to me earlier and I have done it at least twice. Perhaps my roads are to rough. They are installing new large drainage lines on the street in front of my house between my house and the closest road where I can drive without stopping every few blocks. Therefore much of the first few blocks of my drive is very rough. I am forced to idle for several blocks to turn onto a smoother street where they are also doing work requiring stop and go driving for several more blocks.

Do you think it could be completed with the vehicle on stands?

I have also followed the instructions from X350_P_DTC_OBD_II.pdf and DTC Summaries All Gasoline Models 2004.pdf which do address procedures for both the .040 and .020 Evap. tests. (That is where the information regarding the WDS datalogger came from.) However the one you provided would seem to supercede those publications. There is a mention of a "green ECM TSB that I have not been able to locate however. I have even tried drive cycles for other years and models but believe that is not going to work.

Perhaps I will try it on stands this morning since my tank is now around 3/4 full. Keeping the speed less than 20 mph should not be too hard on anything since it is such a short period of time. less than 2 minutes each.
Thanks for the help I will post the results.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Default Not yet, now what?

I have just completed the evap. 020 inch leak test cycle outlined in the Jaguar_32-Bit_ECM_Readiness_Setting_TSB_021210 procedure. Once on jack stands and twice on nearby roads. No joy. The way I read the procedure you have 1 hr 24 minutes after reaching 104̊ F to complete the cycle. I am not sure what you are supposed to do following the drive cycle as outlined at the end of the 84 minutes stated.
I completed the cycle first on jack stands so I could be absolutely sure the car was not affected by rough road conditions. After it did not set the CCM, I proceeded, slowly and as smoothly as I could, to a nearby straight street where I could conduct the test again. I followed everything once going and once coming. Now I am back home with10 minutes to spare and no idea what to do next. What exactly are you supposed to do following the completion of the cycle as outlined? I was able to do the cycle 3 times in far less than the 84 minutes stated. Now do I need to let the car sit overnight? I expected to see the monitor read as complete following the drive cycle but no change. Or should I have done the cycle one time then left it alone until it cooled off overnight. The engine was at 77̊ already this morning and I would not be surprised to see it above 80̊ in the morning.

I am positive I did the drive cycle correctly on jack stands with nothing to jostle the car and perhaps interfere in the process. Since the TSB mentions Jaguar saw fit to tie every sensor without its own monitor to the CCM what else should I look at? My car is running fine. Would a nice drive to Tahoe and back do it? A lot of different driving conditions would be encountered on the drive. I wish I could just get a tailpipe test as I am sure it would pass.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Default Success

My CCM finally set. I spent another evening reviewing every bit of information regarding Comprehensive Component Monitors that would not set. Then I reviewed all of the Powertrain DTC’s that did not appear to have a direct connection to the monitors that were set. I really was out of ideas.

So basically I warmed it up with the defrosters on (even the heated seats) then hit the open road. I used everything I could think of all functions of the cruise control, ABS, DSC and Sport Mode. Then I drove it like I stole it. Letting it shift through the shift points at WOT, cruised through the twisty roads with the J-gate and basically had a lot of fun. About 60 miles later I came home and checked again. All monitors are ready. Now to get my smog cert.

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 05:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Whom it may concern,
I own an 2004 3.0 X type I did not buy the car new Thank God but am trying to solve all the issues with the car. I have changed both ball joints, new throttle body, all Ox sensors, broken wheel studs, new windshield and new tires. I have been fighting limp mode episodes sense I bought the car. I have found out that the ECM has been changed by someone else and it is the wrong one. It is coming up with a different Vin and year. My friend and I agree that if this is not corrected I will never have a good running car. Here is my question if I find out what the correct part # for my car's ECM and find one will the fact that it has the wrong vin still cause all the vast error codes.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 AM

My research has led me to understand that if you get the replacement ECM properly flashed the codes will clear. If they are not related to a problem that still exists. There are a lot of people who have replaced the ECM and had success. There are even companies who rebuild ECMs. Perhaps you can contact one of those and question them about your particular problem. You can not be the first person with this problem as many posts involve the fact that the car will run but you will have codes with a "junk yard" ECM.

I do not think that you can flash the ECM yourself even with the proper IDS/SDD program. I believe it will need to be a dealer or at least a "dealer level" indie. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancheroguy
I do not think that you can flash the ECM yourself even with the proper IDS/SDD program. I believe it will need to be a dealer or at least a "dealer level" indie. Good luck. I hope this helps.
Dealer only has SDD at their disposal so that would be the proper software. Not sure why you think it can't be done but if you do it, there's no going back:-)

Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 PM

It is true that the dealer would have the proper software. I do believe that an individual could do it themselves if they knew for sure which version of software to use to match the ECM in the car to the 2004 X-type the post addressed and understood the flash/reflash procedure well. I am interested in procuring the necessary software for my 04 XJ8 and have read post about the various software versions. I have also read where flashing various modules have not ended well. Accordingly, I would want to discuss the matter with someone who had more experience with flashing ECM's before I would try it on my own car. I am a big believer in doing one's own work and getting the tools to do most think myself.

Regardless, I am not comfortable advising someone else to flash their ECM when it can be done by an individual or company with the proper tools and who gets paid to do it correctly and at a reasonable cost. (Not usually the dealer) I would have been asking different questions if it was my car. Especially since there are some very knowledgeable members with that experience here. There are many posts about folks who have had ECM issues on this forum. Some have stated that a hard reset has worked. Others not so lucky, since I am usually part of the “not so lucky crowd” I did not want to sound overly discouraging or optimistic.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:55 AM

The problem is that the same error codes keep reoccurring such as Oxygen sensor over heating or shorted Been replaced with new less than 100 mile. Many other misfires and same crap. The problem with the wrong ECM makes the error senses the ECM is looking for another registry that does not exists. So it is sending out a lot of crap that makes the engine misfire and limp. The fact that I don't have the original ECM make the aftermarket not available. The other problem is that Jag will not sell its software to aftermarket ECM retailers. I called one on the west coast and ask if I could find the correct ECM for my car and year could they pull down the software add my vin in place of the one that would pull down with the software and then reload the software. He was a good person and said that in theory it was sound and could have been done on any other car. I paid 5000.00 for the car have put 1000.00 in repairs that I did myself and cant bring myself to spend another 2500,00 to fix the problem with my local Jag dealer. The reason I don't want to spend the money is there is no guarantee that all issues are solved. In addition I have drive-ability issues still pending car vibrates badly at 70 mph.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by majorami
To Whom it may concern,
I own an 2004 3.0 X type
Help yourself by using the correct forum.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:10 AM

To you all,
Not sure what sources you all have but I did my researches using google tried and talked to all the tech people at at least 3 sources. Please let me ask If I found the correct part # ECM for my 04 3.0 X-Type can I send the ECM to you and include my vin and prof of purchase and have you flash it. I will cover all postage and your cost. But I do expect it to work when I get it back.

I want you all to know that I do like my Jag but after 3 experiences of it going into limp-mode in heave fast expressway traffic I don't trust it anymore. It was a miracle that I got to the shoulder without being hit.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Done hope it makes your approval