XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8L expansion tank leakage

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ8L expansion tank leakage

Hello all,
This is regarding my recent issues with the coolant leakage. I was enjoying driving through smoky mountains when I received an engine error for the reduced power. When I switched off and on the car, the error vanished for ~20 mins and came back. I checked the codes:

P0116: Engine coolant temperature circuit range/ performance problem
P1260: Security input
P1582: Flight recorder data is stored. (Engine stall?)

I noticed that the coolant level was below suggested level which might have introduced the air in the system causing this high temperature alert and that air bubble traveling through system at a regular interval. I added an extra coolant and was able to remove codes except P1582.

However, I still sometimes smell the coolant leak in the cabin and I can see some leak marks on the expansion tank from the cap thread. Is system under too much pressure? Is there any air bleeding procedure that I need to follow? The heater is working.

My previous post on the XJ8L expansion tank leakage : https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eakage-198716/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

An air bubble is unlikely to cause excessive pressure in the system.

IF there is excessive pressure in the system then it could be where pressure is applied from an external source through a leak into the system and I know of only two such cases. A blown headgasket or a leak in the transmission cooler inside the radiator if you car has that cooler inside the radiator.

Is the coolant in the reservoir "clean" looking?

Does oli on the dipstick look clean? Also on the underside of the oil filler cap does any oil residue look contaminated i.e a milky look?

Any excessive "water" coming out the exhausts when running?

Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

P1582 EDR (Engine Data Recorder) can only be accessed and cleared by going into the 'SETUP AND CONFIG' tab to Special Applications.

You can read and clear the 37 frames of data in either or both A storage or B storage sectors. (whatever has the DATA storage)

Otherwise just ignore.

bob

Old 01-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The coolant header tank is well known for leaks after a few years. Main location is where the small-bore tube enters at the top.The securing nipple cracks and eventually falls off, but well before then, the leak will be noticeable. However, leaks also occur elsewhere too like water pump and also, for supercharged cars, the hose running in the "valley" between the cylinder banks.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

There is a similar 'Valley Hose' on Normally Aspirated cars as well. Like the SC cars, if this leaks, the coolant runs down the back of the engine.
(See Michael Hamilton's post): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...on-s-c-149873/

Last edited by EsRay; 01-09-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
An air bubble is unlikely to cause excessive pressure in the system.

IF there is excessive pressure in the system then it could be where pressure is applied from an external source through a leak into the system and I know of only two such cases. A blown headgasket or a leak in the transmission cooler inside the radiator if you car has that cooler inside the radiator.

Is the coolant in the reservoir "clean" looking?

Does oli on the dipstick look clean? Also on the underside of the oil filler cap does any oil residue look contaminated i.e a milky look?

Any excessive "water" coming out the exhausts when running?
I saw the engine temperature gauge just going to red from the normal after I received the reduced engine power warning. However, after a quick switch off and on everything was okay. For the excessive pressure, I was referring to the coolant expansion tank where I saw some leaks through the cap threads!? the expansion tank is just around 1 year old.

I checked the coolant in the expansion tank, clear. Also, oil on dipstick and oil filler cap is good. The coolant level remained at the fill level for last 5 days so looks like there is no big coolant leak.

Last edited by Anant; 01-09-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The coolant header tank is well known for leaks after a few years. Main location is where the small-bore tube enters at the top.The securing nipple cracks and eventually falls off, but well before then, the leak will be noticeable. However, leaks also occur elsewhere too like water pump and also, for supercharged cars, the hose running in the "valley" between the cylinder banks.
Are you referring to the expansion tank? I replaced this a year before and I see some leak marks from the coolant filler cap threads.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by EsRay
There is a similar 'Valley Hose' on Normally Aspirated cars as well. Like the SC cars, if this leaks, the coolant runs down the back of the engine.
(See Michael Hamilton's post): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...on-s-c-149873/
Thanks. I will check this egr valley hose for cracks. The replacement procedure looks tedious.