XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 XJ6 Valet Mode Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 1996 XJ6 Valet Mode Issues

Hi Folks, my son bought a used 1996 Jaguar XJ6. It has only one key that came with it. I went to the dealer and had two more keys made. The original key head is black with a gold middle and the new copies are black with silver middles. The car did not come with a fob. We are still learning the car. Somehow the other day it appears to have entered a valet mode. Truck would not open. Glove box would not open. Everything else worked. We tried using the key(s) to bring it out of valet mode, but could not. We popped the trunk by going in behind the license tag and manually unlocked it. I pulled a few fuses and that cleared the trunk lock, but the glove box is still locked.

Apologies for so many questions:

Is there a way to pop the glove box open like we did the trunk?

Is there a way to permanently disable the valet mode as we don't require it?

Does the gold/silver middle of the keys denote anything?

Where the best place to pickup a new fob that can be programmed for the car?

What does the valet key look like compared to the normal key?

What exactly does the valet button in the box between the seats do? (the owners manual is still locked inside the glove box).

How should we be able to bring the car out of valet mode?

I found a description on the internet that said to check the F5 fuse in the truck. There is not description of what the fuse numbers are in the car. Which would be the F5 fuse?

Thank you for whatever assistance you can give us.

Bobby

Last edited by BobbyDing; 01-25-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there i also just bough an x300 with only one key and no fob!

from what i have been reading there are two frequencies, 315 that is also shared with saab and 433mhz, mine is 433, you can check them by the rear window antenna. If you have a 315 you can find saab remotes on ebay for cheap. To check your frequency see here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ncy-change.pdf

The original 433mhz fob is hard to find and expensive i just bought a refurbished one on ebay and still waiting to arrive at a price of 150€ , here is to pair with vehicle https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ers-faq-33576/

i believe valet mode only can be desactivated by turning on the trunk light or pressing a working and paired fob, but i believe it cannot be desactivated forever!

the valet key is green while all others are black!

the center of the key is only a badge, has no button.

valet mode locks the trunk and glovebox, it is made so you could leave your car with a valet driver but ensure he would not touch your secured items on those locked compartments, you had obviously to give him only the green key!

Last edited by Paulofvfreitas; 01-26-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:01 PM
Default Glove box stuck 1996 XJ6 HELP!

Hi, we have an XJ6 that the glove box won't open. It has some important documents inside that we need to get to. We've been in and out of valet mode, and used the black key for the car, but it will not unlock. I've tried removing the hinge screws but the storage space is attached to the door itself, which stays with the lock. Does anybody know how I might be able to get in?

Thanks,

Bobby

Old 02-03-2019, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

The glove box has a manual key lock only. Valet mode does not affect the glove box. Only the black headed key (not the green headed valet key) can be used to lock or unlock the glove box. It is a purely mechanical lock. The idea is to lock it with the black key, press Valet to deactivate the interior trunk release, then give the green valet key to the attendant.

Valet mode is cancelled by using the black key to open the trunk, or by unlocking with the key fob. The green valet key will not work to open the trunk.

You can tell the main key from the valet by the size of the wedge at the tip. The main key (black) has a wider wedge, the valet key (green) has a smaller wedge.

The Saab fobs will work by all accounts, as long as you get the matched frequency (315 or 433). I've been meaning to pick one up as I don't want to wear out my last original.

Look very closely at the fuse blocks - there is a small fuse number molded into the edges. Also if you hadn't discovered it yet, there is a fuse listing under the lid of the compartment inside the engine bay on the right.

The following users liked this post:
BobbyDing (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Thank You!! So much great information!! So the glove box is a mechanical issue only. The truck does not open with the black key. It does open with the inside button and if we unlock the doors with the black key the trunk button (center of trunk) does work. But the black key does nothing when inserted in the trunk lock. Any ideas what might be the issue?

Again, Thanks!!

Bobby

Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

When you insert the key to open the trunk can you turn the key? On my car the key would not turn in the lock because the mechanism was all gummed up from lack of use. A few minutes of spraying lube in the key opening and working the key back and forth loosened up the lock and now it works great.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
The glove box has a manual key lock only. Valet mode does not affect the glove box. Only the black headed key (not the green headed valet key) can be used to lock or unlock the glove box. It is a purely mechanical lock. The idea is to lock it with the black key, press Valet to deactivate the interior trunk release, then give the green valet key to the attendant.

Valet mode is cancelled by using the black key to open the trunk, or by unlocking with the key fob. The green valet key will not work to open the trunk.

You can tell the main key from the valet by the size of the wedge at the tip. The main key (black) has a wider wedge, the valet key (green) has a smaller wedge.

The Saab fobs will work by all accounts, as long as you get the matched frequency (315 or 433). I've been meaning to pick one up as I don't want to wear out my last original.

Look very closely at the fuse blocks - there is a small fuse number molded into the edges. Also if you hadn't discovered it yet, there is a fuse listing under the lid of the compartment inside the engine bay on the right.
Do you know how to understand if the saab fob is 433 or 315? as i have been reading through all foruns the fob reference can end in 433 but it can have 315mhz, i also want to buy one but can´t seem to find on ebay anyone who specifies the frequency.

Thanks

Old 02-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

On Ebay you can ask seller the question , Not to ask whether 315 or 433 so that they will just throw a number back to you , but to read the number on the back to you

The 4 TSBs on the FOBs can be found here starting at 18 - 04 :

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-05-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scotlad
When you insert the key to open the trunk can you turn the key? On my car the key would not turn in the lock because the mechanism was all gummed up from lack of use. A few minutes of spraying lube in the key opening and working the key back and forth loosened up the lock and now it works great.
Thank for the response. The key does turn about to the two oclock position when turned to the right. And the 11 o'clock position when turned to the left. Does the key actually mechanically pull the lock lever? Or does the key cause a contact closure which electrically unlocks the trunk?

Thanks again,

Bobby

P.S. Sorry so long. When I head to work it is sometimes days before I can get back to a PC.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Thank you LP for the image you posted. That helps.

Regarding the security system, using the rear window antenna as an indicator, we have a 433 Mhz system. So like many others, I'd like to find a replacement FOB that doesn't cost so much. Question though, when the TSB says "This transmitter will be linked to position 1 of the seat/column/mirror memory", what does that mean? Why does each FOB get assigned to a different area of the vehicle? Or am I not interpreting this correctly?

Thanks,

Bobby

Lady Penelope (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The key in the boot lock needs to turn to 3 o'clock to the right. It's the bit between 2 and 3 that actually opens the boot. It shouldn't turn to the left at all. So a bit of lubricant in there might do the trick as @Scotlad has said.

The key fob being "linked to position 1" is only relevant if you have memory function (on the driver door window switch pack there would be a button with "memory" and three small buttons numbered 1,2 and 3).

With the memory seat function, 1, 2 and 3 can be preset with different seat/mirror/steering column positions to allow for 3 different drivers. The first 3 programmed fobs will be linked to the same preset positions so each driver with their own fob automatically gets their seat etc. in the right place when they use the car.

Lady Penelope (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
The key in the boot lock needs to turn to 3 o'clock to the right. It's the bit between 2 and 3 that actually opens the boot. It shouldn't turn to the left at all. So a bit of lubricant in there might do the trick as @Scotlad has said.

The key fob being "linked to position 1" is only relevant if you have memory function (on the driver door window switch pack there would be a button with "memory" and three small buttons numbered 1,2 and 3).

With the memory seat function, 1, 2 and 3 can be preset with different seat/mirror/steering column positions to allow for 3 different drivers. The first 3 programmed fobs will be linked to the same preset positions so each driver with their own fob automatically gets their seat etc. in the right place when they use the car.
OK. That all makes sense. We'll try a bit of lubricant in the lock and see what happens.

Thank You!!

Bobby

Old 02-07-2019, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
On Ebay you can ask seller the question , Not to ask whether 315 or 433 so that they will just throw a number back to you , but to read the number on the back to you

The 4 TSBs on the FOBs can be found here starting at 18 - 04 :

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

well been checking those tsb’s but cant seem to find the number that should be in the back of the saab fobs!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Looking

Paulofvfreitas (02-08-2019)