XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1997 XJ6L Catalytic Converter Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 XJ6L Catalytic Converter Assembly

Good Afternoon everyone , a couple week ago I posted noting a problem with my back pressure and then noticing a very loud noise on my XJ6. Since then I found out that my catalytic converter assembly needs to be replaced,which is fine not a big deal. The reason I'm posting this is because I'm thinking about repairing it myself instead of getting it done at the shop the parts just came in that I ordered as well as the replacement 02 sensors that I was told I'd need when I got the estimate at the shop. Is there anyone that has done this to their XJ6 and if so what kind of job am I looking at or should I just honestly fork over the money to have a shop put it on. And if someone has done it is there anyway anyone could run over the steps with me because I can't find anything on youtube or just online in general that covers the XJ6 catalytic converter assembly replacement. Thank you all very much for any answers.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I'm in the possess of getting the cracked Y - pipe welded back up so I had to cut off the pipe with a cutoff disk ( use a 4" by 3/32" , thinner are dangerous ) and safety googles from Harbor Freight and a regular hand drill . The original clamp installation was froze on . Careful not to pull the wiring of the O2 sensors so remove them first . To get it back on the dimension of the gap between the 2 fwd pipes had to flex so I cut the webbing between the 2 . To walk the 2 fwd pipes on was a pain and I remembered bad names I had thought I had forgotten . In using a piece of long 1" by 1" 90 degree angle bar with a hole drilled in it for the aftmost exhaust cover bolt I had a lever to deal with it as I walked it on . The other part was a bowline knot ( sound of Navy bosun whistle ) to change the rope from the fwn to aft pipe as I walked it up into position . Carefull not to damage the pipe flairs and doughnut seals for this damage will cause leak problems effecting your fuel trim or mixture . Put some heavy grease on the nuts so you can snug them up tight . As the Cats are off you can clean them in one of those 5 gallon buckets , they fit . Ask questions for help .

Attached Thumbnails 1997 XJ6L Catalytic Converter Assembly-gbo4aar.png  
The following users liked this post:
jt314 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Thanks for that reply and the help, One more quick question do i require oil between cats or does is not require oil between the cats. I just have to know for the ordering of the catalytic assembly and I'm quite confused on what that even means. Here are pictures of the two option the first is without oil between cats and the second is required oil between cats. Thank you very much. Also do I need a rear fit or front fit.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 XJ6L Catalytic Converter Assembly-jag1940_3.jpg   1997 XJ6L Catalytic Converter Assembly-jag1922_3.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

The pics you have are for the " underfloor " Cats and not the Fwd Cats and the following link is a good reference source . I would get more advice before ordering such an item for it may not be needed and some salesman taking advantage of you . The oil or grease I mentioned is an assemble aid as you torque the nuts . Not in the Cats for it would just burn up anyway . Get more more advice and the reason why they were recommended to you in the first place . Any questions , just ask . Look for cracks at the Y - pipe joint for the noise or the underfloor Cats " may " be ruptured . You may not have to replace the underfloor Cads depending on your environmental views or if your state requires a " sniff " test as some areas do .

.https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...lyst-not-japan

Thanks , Parker

jt314 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:13 PM

The exhaust Pipe has pretty much rotted out and its disconnected, when I took it to the exhaust repair shop they told me that the Catalytic converter assembly needed to be replaced and that the 02 sensors would have to be replaced as well because the would get damaged during the process of getting the old one out and the new one put on. they quoted me 1600 but i found the parts for way cheaper all together 470. I'll try to get a picture a little later but the catalytic converter under my XJ6 has a lot of rusty holes and of course the rotted out disconnection.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

No pic needed for me . Keep in mind that the L model car body is 6 inches longer then the standard car body and I am assuming the length of this section of exhaust will also be different as a part number . In my opinion your O2 sensors should come out with no problem other then some penetrating oil or a heat gun/ torch . As a young Navy person in the service of this country I'm sure you are limited on financial resources I recommend salvaging them . If you do replace them a connector ready cheaper ( important ) substitution is a Bosch # 13789 readily available at the part store counter ( Jaguar X300 are non - standard Titanium sensors ) remembering to use anti - seize on the threads ( little packages at the part store counter ) and don't over tighten . Missing sensor crush washers ( 12 mm ) can be found in the box containing sparkplug Autolite #4163 . As you rehook - up the O2 sensors it is important to connect to the correct connector for they are the same . I'll get you the otherside of the connector wire colors to get it right later from the wiring schematic . Remember what I said about no aft Cat .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 05-30-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: edit
jt314 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Don't get any anti - seize on the " vents " on the bulb of the sensor , bad . Recommend soaking the removed sensors in a 1" bath of gasoline overnight not to high to keep the wires dry . Shake them out a few time during the soak period . Cleans and gives you more service life .

Thanks , Parker

jt314 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 06:47 PM

Thank you very much for your help, I'll get started on those things.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Autolite #4163 is not the recommended equivalent spark plug for the X300 but the Champion RC12YC is per Jaguar Service Bulletin is . Plugs make a big difference apparently as I read on this engine . Wrong size anyway . They are 14 mm vs . 12 mm and I do not recommend using the crush washers for leaks around the O2 sensors as it regulates the ECU fuel trim is very critical . Try the O2 sensor cleaning , you'll be surprised how dirty the cleaning gasoline in the jar gets .