XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

96 VDP Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 VDP Electrical Gremlins

Hi All,
I just got my 96 Vanden Plaus running after sitting since 2009 and am now trying to sort out some electrical issues. I am hoping someone can give me advise as to where I should start looking. Here is the list so far:

-Day time running light and marker light on passenger side do not light up
-Brake lights dont work
-No turn signals
-Hazards dont work
-Dash trip computer not working
-Parking brake indicator does not illuminate
-Sport mode switch doesnt register on dash
-No high beams

I need to get this sorted out ASAP as I only have a 10 day temporary inspection sticker, and the car obviously wont pass inspection in this condition. I have so far checked all of the fuses and nothing is blown. I am wondering if this is all related to the BPU or some other computer module. Please let me know if anyone has some troubleshooting advise, or ideas as to where to start looking

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

I would check (remove, clean and reassemble) all the ground points if it were my car.

HTH

Larry

Old 09-16-2016, 12:32 PM

Okay I will start looking for ground issues. Is there any way to test the Body control unit or lighting control module....or do I just need to swap them.

Also are there any ground connections behind the dash, and if so how do I get to them?

Old 09-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

I don't know how to test them and it seems unlikely they would fail.

Because the car has been sitting idle for more than a few years, more than likely you have a bad (oxidized) connection or two - I think this is to be expected.

Often these issues can be corrected, (at least temporarily!) by unplugging and re-plugging the connectors, relays etc., but in the long run you'll need to go through the car and clean all those connections. Other than that, cold, cracked or oxidized solder joints could also be an issue for certain components - however I'd concentrate on the grounds and connections before throwing money at parts.

Good luck

Larry

Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Check if this post reveals similar symptoms (linky)

You might also check other threads "started by me" around the same timeframe as previous link.

Two or three other folks reported similar "multiple electrical" issues, where a new BPM fixed most issues. I think I paid just under $50 USD for a BPM unit online

I still need to resolve the central locking issue, which I think is the SCLM.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:17 AM

I went through and looked at a bunch of ground connections and pulled apart a bunch of connectors and put them back together, and for the most part everything looks good. A little bit of oxidation on the grounds, but not enough to cause the problems I am seeing.

So then I pulled the dash and found the body process module, and I noticed that the bolts were loose on it like somebody has looked at it before. I opened it up and it looks brand new, so then i pulled the board out and low and behold, the otherside of the board is all oxidized.. So now I am going to spend some time cleaning it up and will see if it fixes my issues.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

How long did it take you to pull the dash. Just wondering..........

Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by dagny747
How long did it take you to pull the dash. Just wondering..........
Believe it or not, it is super easy. It only takes about 5 minutes. there are 4 screws in the glove box and an additional two on the underside and then the whole panel comes out.

UPDATE:
So I pulled the board out and sprayed it down with contact cleaner and then scrubbed it with a toothbrush. I put it all back together and now all of a sudden my car has an alarm system and the interior lights work when the doors are open. There is also no a chime if the car isn't in park and the keys are in the ignition.

However I still dont have turn signals or hazards, so now I am trying to line up a replacement Body processor unit and lighting control module

If anyone has any ideas on how to bench test these units, please let me know

Thanks,
Chris

The following users liked this post:
dagny747 (09-20-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 AM

Hi Guys,
I just replaced the BPU and still have the same issue. I am running out of ideas and need to get this resolved ASAP so that I can get an inspection. Just to recap, the directionals, hazards, brake lights and passenger side running lights dont work. The dead bulb indicator is also illuminated on the dash. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris