XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

96 Won't start, I'm at a loss - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:16 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Leave the cats, for now at least. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were fine.

I would attack what the car is indicating as “needs help”, namely the air pump! I replaced mine at about the same mileage. Advance Auto had an aftermarket in stock, with an exchange for the old one, it was less than $100 and it wasn’t difficult to replace.

After you clear that code, run the car and see what happens. We can deal with the next issue as it comes up!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
Leave the cats, for now at least. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were fine.

I would attack what the car is indicating as “needs help”, namely the air pump! I replaced mine at about the same mileage. Advance Auto had an aftermarket in stock, with an exchange for the old one, it was less than $100 and it wasn’t difficult to replace.

After you clear that code, run the car and see what happens. We can deal with the next issue as it comes up!
Thanks are there two pumps a primary and secondary? I found a reman smog air pump but its about $200 US.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Just one air pump. $200 may be the going rate of their not asking for you to return the one on your car.

Check RockAuto and AdvanceAuto and AutoZone. I’m sure I exchanged mine at Advance Auto, although it might have been Auto Zone.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 AM

Well I did find that the F7 fuse for the smog air pump (offside front engine bay fuse box) was blown, and have replaced it with a new 25 amp fuse.
I can't run the engine up now as I am doing maintenance.
I did read that the '95 MY x300 has superseded/up-rated fuses for '96 and will check if the smog pump is one.
regards

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-18-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 PM
Default 1995 XJ6 4l trouble shooting update!

As some of you following my earlier posts may recall, just purchased an X300 and while it would turn over, the car was difficult to get started.
So, I did a maintenance and replaced the following:
plugs, ignition coils, fuel filter, oil, crankshaft position sensor.
cleaned a few electrical connections, including the cam position sensor connection, checked for correct
position of the cam position sensor, and replaced a blown fuse (f7) in the smog pump circuit. Checked compression.
Then, started the car... and it started right up, no codes!
It runs and idles evenly and quietly... except at start-up.
When started there is a loud squeal (belt or bearing) and no output from the alternator.
There is no sign of belt slippage, the tension is good, and the belt is new.
I can see that the alternator pully is turning when the squeal is present.
After one minute or so of running, the squeal disappears.
When the squeal disappears, the alternator suddenly jumps up from 11V or so to the expected 13V.
The above is consistent and repeatable.
The squeal is more like a bearing squeal imo than a belt squeal?
Any ideas what could be going on here?
TIA!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Harmonic balance delaminated and spinning , the belt for the alternator is stationary because of this , common on the X300

Your altornator response was the clue

See post link

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-214069/

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-22-2019 at 12:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lady Penelope:
Don B (02-22-2019), Vee (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Thanks for the update, good news so far. But your maintenance jobs are not done yet...

The balancer (main pulley) must have the rubber re-laminated. A specialized repair process. Many threads here about it. All these cars need it. Don't worry, it's not that difficult to do.

Dale Manufacturing

Paint a line across the pulley, run the engine once, and you will see that the rubber ring that drives the water pump and alternator has slipped.

The car shoudn't be driven. The battery will soon die because of a lack of charge. Especially when lights and accessories are on. Stalling could happen too.

Recently there were some Chinese aftermarket balancers introduced on Ebay for the X300, could be an option.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Montoya66,

Thanks for the update. I have merged your new thread with your old one so that all the details are together in one thread so readers will have the full picture in one place, and I've edited the title to indicate that you've posted an update on your progress.

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Thanks for the update, good news so far. But your maintenance jobs are not done yet...

The balancer (main pulley) must have the rubber re-laminated. A specialized repair process. Many threads here about it. All these cars need it. Don't worry, it's not that difficult to do.

Dale Manufacturing

Paint a line across the pulley, run the engine once, and you will see that the rubber ring that drives the water pump and alternator has slipped.

The car shoudn't be driven. The battery will soon die because of a lack of charge. Especially when lights and accessories are on. Stalling could happen too.

Recently there were some Chinese aftermarket balancers introduced on Ebay for the X300, could be an option.
Yes thanks, turns out the belt tension was way too loose and after tightening the belt the issue has disappeared...
...*But* I think there is an issue with the balancer too, as I get that strange drone (as heard from a youtube video on this issue) for just a few seconds after the car starts, then goes away. So I assume that's an indication that the balancer is on the way out?
I'll do the paint stripe and all will be revealed.

As usual with these cars -- and with all cars of a high mileage --- there is seldom just one single issue causing grief...