XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

97 XJ6 cooling fan problem

Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 XJ6 cooling fan problem

Recently bought a 97 Vanden Plas for my wife and while checking it over noticed that the engine cooling fans were not coming on, I checked the fuse box and found that one of the fan fuses was removed, when I put in a fuse the fans immediatly came on even without the ign key in or engine running and would not go off untill I removed the fuse. Any ideas? Also took it for a ride last night and could not get any heat, heater blower works fine and all controls on dash seem to be working but could get nothing but cool air. Engine temp gauge is reading in normal temp range but just blows cool air, living in Maine we are gonna need the heater soon.
Thanks
P.S. Car is left hand deive if that makes a difference.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having the same heat problem on my 95 xj12. I think the systems are basically the same I have yet to fix but my understanding is the electric water pump and the water valve will be the problem. They are located on the left side by the bulkhead. There is alot of smaller hoses in the area. The pump could be bad. If the pump is good then the valve is possibly stuck shut. I think my pump is bad. Not speaking from experience just what I've gathered in my searches as this is next on my to do list.

Haven't had any problems with my fans but I think there is a relay under the front left side bumper. Also I believe there is a temperature switch located in the radiator that has something to do with the fans?

Not sure if it helps but might point you in the right direction

Good luck

Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by hdfx81
Recently bought a 97 Vanden Plas for my wife and while checking it over noticed that the engine cooling fans were not coming on, I checked the fuse box and found that one of the fan fuses was removed, when I put in a fuse the fans immediatly came on even without the ign key in or engine running and would not go off untill I removed the fuse. Any ideas? Also took it for a ride last night and could not get any heat, heater blower works fine and all controls on dash seem to be working but could get nothing but cool air. Engine temp gauge is reading in normal temp range but just blows cool air, living in Maine we are gonna need the heater soon.
Thanks
P.S. Car is left hand deive if that makes a difference.
The relay module for the fans is below the left headlamps, accessible from below. It's a large white relay that clips to a bracket. If the mount breaks loose, the relay can hang upside down and get water in it; that can cause the condition you have.

Below the brake master cylinder is a pump for the heater system, see if it is running, if not, poor heat.

Cheers,

Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Are there fuses for the pump and valve for the heater? If I disconnect the plugs above the valve and use jumpers they both work and I get plenty of heat. I will check the relay module, is there a test to find out if it is working?

Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the manual on my computer it says the fuse for the pump is in LH engine bay box #8 blue 15 amp

It also shows a relay for the pump right there in the row of four black relays. It says it's the last on the right. Farthest from the fender.

Don't know about the fan relay other than mabye swap it with a known good one the same size? Sounds like xjr is on to something with it getting wet

Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM

I found the fan control module unpluged it then pluged it back in now the fans don't come on at all even with the a/c on.

I read on an older post that the temp sensors in the front brake cooling ducts may have something to do with the heater temp, well my right front duct is missing and the plug for the temp sensor is just hanging would this have any effect on the heater not blowing hot air?

All this computor and sensor stuff is new to me my other vehicle is a 1972 bronco.

Last edited by hdfx81; 10-08-2011 at 06:30 PM.