XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

AC compressor issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default AC compressor issue

Well as it's getting hot here in Pa my son's '95 X300's AC isn't working. I figured it needed a shot if gas so I hooked up the gauges and No joy. Compressor wont kick on. Fuse 8 keeps popping unless you disconnect the trinary switch connector. Last summer it worked great. The only thing I could think of is over the winter we took out the center consul and replaced all bad light bulbs. Since some were special order, I went to Radio Shack and soldered some in place. Maybe I missoldered something. My eyes aren't what they once were. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Ruben Velez

Old 06-15-2016, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Ruben,
Have you tried the climate control self test procedure? If you turn the ignition on while holding in the recirc and auto buttons, the climate control screen will start flashing, release the buttons and then push auto and release. The screen will then display error codes if any. If 0 is displayed, all is well, otherwise, the explanation for the codes is available online. One of the codes relates to gas pressure in the system, and whether the system thinks there is enough to allow it to engage the compressor clutch.
When you say no joy with the regas, did it show the correct pressures on your gauges? From memory, I didnt think you could complete a regas without the engine running and the compressor engaged.
If all of your other heater functions are working, I would suspect a leak of gas over the winter, rather than a stray bit of solder.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:14 PM

I did a test and got codes 20 through 27.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Ruben,
I set out below a list of the error codes for the climate control. The numbers you mention dont seem to match up, so it might be worth trying the test again.

To check for error codes in the Climate Control System with the internal diagnostics via the ‘Panel
Codes’

1. Ignition off - hold down AUTO and RECIRCULATION buttons and
switch on the ignition

2. press AUTO button - if ZERO shows, there's no stored
error codes

3. Press the RECIRCULATED AIR button to start diagnostic, sequence will start to test system.

4. press FACE button repeatedly to scroll through stored
fault codes

5. press FACE and HEATED REAR WINDOW buttons together to
clear a fault code.

6. repeat step 4 if there's more than one code

7. press FAN button to exit Interrogation Procedure

Control Panel Fault Code Listing
Reference fault code #23*: In ambient temperatures below 0°C, this code may be logged
because the low ambient causes a temporary low gas pressure. Where the ambient temperature
rises above 40°C, with the engine close to overheating, electrical feed to the compressor clutch
may be cut and code #23 registered.

0 Normal operation no fault codes present None Wait 30 seconds for system self-check.

11 Motorized in-car aspirator malfunction Harness / connector fault Sensor open / short circuit
Panel fault codes are not stored for motorized in-car aspirator motor failure.

12 Ambient temperature sensor malfunction Harness / connector fault Sensor open / short circuit
After rectification, disconnect the vehicle battery for 10 seconds to reset the system.

13 Evaporator temperature sensor malfunction Harness / connector fault Sensor open / short
circuit Refer to PDU

14 Water temperature input malfunction Instrument cluster output Refer to PDU

15 Heater matrix temperature sensor malfunction Harness / connector fault Sensor open / short
circuit Refer to PDU

21 Solar sensor Sensor open /short circuit Refer to PDU

22 Compressor lock signal fault Low refrigerant charge, low compressor oil level, loose drive belt
Harness / connector fault Adjust items as required

23 Refrigerant pressure switch malfunction Harness / connector fault Switch open / short circuit
Refer to PDU23 Refrigerant pressure low refrigerant charge *Leak from damaged pipe or joint
Rectify as required and recharge system

24 Face vent demand potentiometer fault Potentiometer open / short circuit Harness / connector
fault Refer to PDU

31 LH fresh / recirc. potentiometer fault Harness / connector fault In certain circumstances the
servo motor may over-travel and cause further logged faults. This may be cured, following fault
rectification, by cycling the ignition ON-OFF-ON 3 times Refer to PDU

32 RH fresh / recirc. potentiometer fault Harness / connector fault In certain circumstances the
servo motor may over-travel and cause further logged faults. This may be cured, following fault

33 Cool air by-pass potentiometer fault Harness / connector fault In certain circumstances the

34 Defrost vent potentiometer fault Harness / connector fault In certain circumstances the servo
motor may over-travel and cause further logged faults. This may be cured, following fault

35 Centre vent potentiometer fault Harness / connector fault In certain circumstances the servo
motor may over-travel and cause further logged faults. This may be cured, following fault

36 Foot vent potentiometer fault Harness / connector fault In certain circumstances the servo

41 LH fresh / recirc. motor fault Harness / connector fault Servo motor seized or sticking Flap
seized or sticking Refer to PDU

42 RH fresh / recirc. motor fault Harness / connector fault Servo motor seized or sticking Flap

43 Cool air by-pass motor fault Harness / connector fault Servo motor seized or sticking Flap

43 Cool Air by-pass motor fault Harness / connector fault Servo motor seized or sticking Flap

44 Defrost vent motor fault Harness / connector fault Servo motor seized or sticking Flap seized
or sticking Refer to PDU

45 Centre vent motor fault Harness / connector fault Servo motor seized or sticking Flap seized or
sticking Refer to PDU

46 Foot vent motor fault Harness / connector fault Servo motor seized or sticking Flap seized or
sticking Refer to PDU

The following users liked this post:
John1949 (06-17-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 04:25 PM

The reason I was thinking it was an electrical fault is because none of those codes would cause a fuse to pop.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure I would agree with that. Any of the codes including "harness or connector" faults could lead to a blown fuse.
Getting to a place where the self test returns "0" is important. If you want to go directly to checking your compressor clutch, the relay is to the right of the radiator inside the engine bay, and you could momentarily short it to see if the clutch engages. NB it is important not to run it in this condition, as there may be no gas in the system, and damage will quickly result.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:15 AM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Ruben , I would certainly check around where you were working first .Does the fuse blow when you have ignition on but engine not running ?
Did you by any chance open the valve to let more " gas " in ?
Code 23 can also be a high pressure code , usually classed as temporary depending on ambient temp . Hows " countyjag " cannot be any more helpful than that , well done.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Well, after a lot of snooping around I finally decided to jump the AC compressor relay. POP! fuse went. Disconnected the little pigtail at the compressor and checked coil for continuity. Bingo! Clutch coil shorted out. Time to replace the compressor. Anyone ever have that happen?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe too late, but I think you can just replace the clutch coil without breaking the refrigerant seal.

But if you are already in there, better replace the AC Drier part across the top of the condenser, too. They are not too expensive, around $25. And all new o-rings, etc...

Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 AM

I agree Lee. New drier sitting on my work bench. I figured I would just replace the compressor since the car has over 150K. I can buy a brand new compressor on line for $200-. No brainer.