XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

AC Dryer canister changing

Old 09-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile AC Dryer canister changing

Right after buying my XJ6 many years ago my air conditioner failed. Upon servicing the unit we found the little beads in the dryer canister had gotten loose and spread through the system. I thought we were going to have to pull the dash out in order to replace the plugged expansion valve. I didn't like that. After several determined air pressure flushing we got all the beads (we think so) out and the system and it has worked fine ever sense. Recently I have figured out why the beads broke loose. Below is my advice on installing a new dryer canister to keep this from happening which I have posted also elsewhere.

The advice of changing the dryer canister is a good, provided it is INSTALLED CORRECTLY!!! I had mine open up and spread the little beads through out the system. After three clean out by severe blowing air I was able to completely clean out the system without changing the expansion valve or any other parts. That is when I discovered there is a correct way and an incorrect way to install the canister. The beads are held in place by two metal disks with lots of small holes and screen on the side of the disk next to the beads. The beads are packed between these two disks with the screen at one end of the canister for about three inches in length. The canister MUST be installed with this three inch section at the EXIT end of the canister. With it installed this way the pressure flowing through this three inch section cannot push the downstream disk when it becomes clogged out of the way and let the beads loose in the system due to the exit disk being supported against the canister exit fitting. On some canisters the end where the beads are there is an external crimp on the canister intended to keep blow out of the disk when they become clogged. Just make sure that three inch section is on the EXIT END OF THE CANISTER. You can tell where it is by just pushing a wooden rod into yet ends of the canister.

The following 2 users liked this post by EZDriver:
Scotlad (09-04-2018), Vee (09-05-2018)