XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Any interest in tuning and upgrading the XJ6 and XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Any interest in tuning and upgrading the XJ6 and XJR?

I think that the X300 and X306 have a lot of unrealized performance potential. They are also relatively inexpensive, at least in the USA, which makes them good candidates for experimentation.

I am contemplating the following:

1. Install emulator instead of the PROM chips in the ECU, figure out where the fuel and ignition advance tables are, make the calibration easily tunable. IMHO this is a prerequisite for any serious performance work.

2. AJ16 cylinder head porting and port-matching. Since I have a spare AJ16 engine, why not?

3. Centrifugal supercharger for normally aspirated XJ6. Centrifugal blowers are relatively inexpensive. IMHO a correctly chosen centrifugal type unit would compliment the torque curve of the stock AJ16 engine very nicely.

4. M90/M112 hybrid Roots-type supercharger for XJR. This would be somewhat of a budget friendly upgrade, with modest performance gains.

5. Twin-screw Lysholm-type supercharger for the XJR. If money is no object and you want to go all out. The 4L80E is rated at 880 lb ft of input torque, so I am not terribly concerned about the trans.

6. Manual transmission swap for XJ6/XJR.

Before I break out my fabrication tools I would like to know if there is any interest in any of the above.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Slightly OT, but I'm dropping off my XJR at Samuel's tonight, so now's your chance to get those manual transmission measurements.

The following users liked this post:
juha_teuvonnen (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Thumbs up

...always interest, but it comes down to time and money

So I'll be one very interested to see what you develop. Since the question of "hot rodding" the XJR (and NA XJ6 to some degree) comes up frequently, I've said for a while now that it would be great if we had a standard set of known reliable and effective upgrades, including expected results, in "stages" of technical difficulty and cost that owners could follow.

For example, a "stage 1" might just be an "Andy bracket" and airbox snorkel work which typically equals dyno verifies xHP and xFtLb increase for the XJR and XJ6.

A "stage 2" might be something like a lower SC pulley, increased intercooler pump, etc.... with same typical power increase and any caveats noted.

"Stage 3" might be something more extreme like a different SC altogether, ECU remap... who knows.

Ideally we'd want a list that was composed of available, reliable and tested/verified solutions so owners could just shop based on their goal, technical ability and financial realities, and if there are any caveats to consider.

BTW, have you seen the attached article?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
juha_teuvonnen (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
...always interest, but it comes down to time and money

So I'll be one very interested to see what you develop. Since the question of "hot rodding" the XJR (and NA XJ6 to some degree) comes up frequently, I've said for a while now that it would be great if we had a standard set of known reliable and effective upgrades, including expected results, in "stages" of technical difficulty and cost that owners could follow.

For example, a "stage 1" might just be an "Andy bracket" and airbox snorkel work which typically equals dyno verifies xHP and xFtLb increase for the XJR and XJ6.

A "stage 2" might be something like a lower SC pulley, increased intercooler pump, etc.... with same typical power increase and any caveats noted.

"Stage 3" might be something more extreme like a different SC altogether, ECU remap... who knows.

Ideally we'd want a list that was composed of available, reliable and tested/verified solutions so owners could just shop based on their goal, technical ability and financial realities, and if there are any caveats to consider.

BTW, have you seen the attached article?

Great article, Thanks!

I agree with you on the staged approach, it makes perfect sense. Most people are probably looking for budget-friendly solutions with moderate performance gains.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts
Default simples

Nitrous oxide.

No Im not joking .....seriously has to be the best bang for the buck on an AJ16 engine 'that no one has tried yet'....at least i don't think so because i cant find anything on google.

yes there is the top gear XJS

supposedly an X350 XJR with a shot (member of this forum i think)

but as far as i can gauge...no one has tried it on an AJ16....which i think would be a perfect candidate for a little 75 hp wet shot.....single point injection at the intake manifold....

ideal for those moments when you have just pulled on to a dual carriageway as some *** wipe is racing you to join the traffic flow.

of course if you have the Andy stoddard bracket fitted then you have a better performing engine for sure from an ignition standpoint....if you are an XJR you may have gone for a lower or upper or both pulley size change.....then there are some fractions to get with a cleaner intake filter system....maybe fit free flowing 200 cell cats....and those are just the cheap options

when you get into alternative supercharger arrangements or turbocharging then the sky is the limit

but 75 hp for a simple kit at about £500 tops.....that's power for your pound for those 'moments' when you just want more oooomph and a smile

Juice.....